PDA

View Full Version : eclipse 2mbit £14.99

kronas
30-11-2004, 21:27
no idea if this has been mentioned, eclipse broadband is offering a 2mbit service at £14.99 subject to a 1GB per month limit, additional GB's can be purchased for £1.75 per GB.

source: the register

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11/30/eclipse_2mb_broadband/

iron25
30-11-2004, 22:26
I find these kind of broadband offers pathetic. I don't know how people get fooled into signing up for them because if you're never going to exceed 1 gig a month then you do not need to have a 2mb connection. People not exceeding 1 gig a month are those that just surf and you are not going to benefit from having a 2mb connection instead of 512k. Why don't they offer 512k with a 1 gig a month cap for £4.

ian@huth
30-11-2004, 22:49
I find these kind of broadband offers pathetic. I don't know how people get fooled into signing up for them because if you're never going to exceed 1 gig a month then you do not need to have a 2mb connection. People not exceeding 1 gig a month are those that just surf and you are not going to benefit from having a 2mb connection instead of 512k. Why don't they offer 512k with a 1 gig a month cap for £4.

Not everyone wants to be on the internet 24/7, some people just want to download a few odd files each month but want them very quickly. If you have a file that takes 10 minutes to download on a 2 Mb connection and only have a 15 minute window to download it in its no use having a 512k service.

Neil
01-12-2004, 09:14
Not everyone wants to be on the internet 24/7, some people just want to download a few odd files each month but want them very quickly. If you have a file that takes 10 minutes to download on a 2 Mb connection and only have a 15 minute window to download it in its no use having a 512k service.

But even if you only had that 15 minute 'window' to sit at your PC, you could just leave the file downloading & come back to it/install it later?

If you only have 15 mins, then even having 2 meg to get it quickly surely won't be enough to d/l & install etc?

Having said that, I don't personally feel that there is a need for a 2 meg service with a 1 gig cap-if you just want to browse quickly, then there isn't that much difference between browsing at 512k & browsing at 2 meg IMO.

Paul
01-12-2004, 09:35
1 Gig is 33MB per day - if you only browse the web and use e-mail then you are never going to bust this, and this is a very good deal for such people (although as Neil says, you are probably wasting you time on a 2mbps connection, 1 mbps would easily do you).

If you start download things then you will need to be careful - you could soon approach your limit. This is probably what they are hoping for, so they can either charge you more, or "encourage" you onto one of their more expensive packages.

ian@huth
01-12-2004, 12:12
But even if you only had that 15 minute 'window' to sit at your PC, you could just leave the file downloading & come back to it/install it later?

If you only have 15 mins, then even having 2 meg to get it quickly surely won't be enough to d/l & install etc?

Having said that, I don't personally feel that there is a need for a 2 meg service with a 1 gig cap-if you just want to browse quickly, then there isn't that much difference between browsing at 512k & browsing at 2 meg IMO.

Ring, ring. pause, ring, ring, pause, ring, ring.

Hi John, glad I cought you before you left for the meeting. I have just found that report that we need but haven't a cat in hells chance of downloading it with my slow connection, can you get it on yours.

No problem Neil, just got enough time to do it before having to leave for the station. Thank god for my 2Mb, could never have done it on 512k. We can have a look at it on my notebook whilst on the train.

Maybe not an everyday requirement but for £14.99 a month it is worthwhile having 2Mb available for that rare occasion that you may need the speed. Cheaper than some dialup connections and always on. What some people don't appreciate is that having a fast connection doesn't mean that you have to use it to the max all the time or even any of the time but the speed is there if ever needed.