PDA

View Full Version : Oh..to walk in a straight line....

Salu
30-11-2004, 17:33
[Whinge time]

I'm fed up. ;)

I'm fed up of not being able to walk in a straight line in town. There are so many people shopping that it takes twice the effort to go 100 yards and twice the distance as I am weaving in and out of shoppers. :mad:

Some walk perpendicular to the path I am walking and manage to stop dead in such a place that means that my elbow bangs into theirs and they then scowl at me, much like Paddington Bear's stare....It makes you want to say unpleasent things to them, in several languages..... :rolleyes:

There are old women who have "shopping wheels" who walk at 1 mph one minute and then in the blink of an eye are completely stationary. How I manage to not mow them down is a mystery...

Then there are groups of 5 girls all linking their arms singing songs from Girls Aloud or belching. I have to walk round them.

Not only that but everyone is now 1 foot wider as they are trawling upto 8 bags of presents with them.

It always seems to be ME that has to twist to allow someone coming towards me NOT to have a head on collision. They just carry on walking ahead regardless...

I wouldn't be in town unless I had to a) get the bus home or b) buy presents myself. At least ones that I can't get from the internet....

Oh......Merry Christmas :p:

[end whinge] ;) :)

Bifta
30-11-2004, 17:35
whinge being the operative word .....

Paul K
30-11-2004, 17:37
Aw c'mon now Bifta.... he did say Merry Christmas :p:

Bifta
30-11-2004, 17:38

Perhaps we could buy him a medal for "2004's most pointless thread" for Christmas then. ;)

Paul K
30-11-2004, 17:41

Perhaps we could buy him a medal for "2004's most pointless thread" for Christmas then. ;)
Aw are we going to buy him a new copy of the award or take the one that is earmarked for someone else ;) :D

Bifta
30-11-2004, 17:44
Aw are we going to buy him a new copy of the award or take the one that is earmarked for someone else ;) :D

See my private reply about that ;)

Paul
30-11-2004, 17:53
i think you need to start a blog (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/journal.php?) Salu :)

Nugget
30-11-2004, 17:53
I've found that the taller you are, the worse it is.

My girlfriend constantly gets at me for losing my temper about this because, as she sees it, people are always walking into her because she's small. However, IMO, this means that they have no excuse for walking into me / hitting me with their bags or trolleys / whatever, because they can see me, which just makes it worse.

My entirely scientific theory is that, the taller you get, the more people are likely to use you as a beacon so, by the end of walking through the precinct in Grimsby, it's often difficult to see me because of the crowd of people who have decided I'm their designated meeting area!

Mr_love_monkey
30-11-2004, 18:43
My entirely scientific theory is that, the taller you get, the more people are likely to use you as a beacon so, by the end of walking through the precinct in Grimsby, it's often difficult to see me because of the crowd of people who have decided I'm their designated meeting area!

Just don't wear a helmet with a flashing light - people will think you're a light house

Salu
30-11-2004, 18:48

Thanks Mr Serial Grumpyness. :)

Mr_love_monkey
30-11-2004, 18:49

Ah, the lesser known 8th dwarf..... :)

SMHarman
30-11-2004, 19:01
Did I read somewhere in the dim and distant past that pedestrian traffic on Londons Oxford St is actually slower than driving along it at this time of year.

Theodoric
30-11-2004, 19:40
IIRC, in a Drunkard's Walk, the distance travelled from your start point is proportional to the square root of the time taken. I thought that I'd just drop this into the conversation.

Nidge
30-11-2004, 19:43
[Whinge time]

I'm fed up. ;)

I'm fed up of not being able to walk in a straight line in town. There are so many people shopping that it takes twice the effort to go 100 yards and twice the distance as I am weaving in and out of shoppers. :mad:

Some walk perpendicular to the path I am walking and manage to stop dead in such a place that means that my elbow bangs into theirs and they then scowl at me, much like Paddington Bear's stare....It makes you want to say unpleasent things to them, in several languages..... :rolleyes:

There are old women who have "shopping wheels" who walk at 1 mph one minute and then in the blink of an eye are completely stationary. How I manage to not mow them down is a mystery...

Then there are groups of 5 girls all linking their arms singing songs from Girls Aloud or belching. I have to walk round them.

Not only that but everyone is now 1 foot wider as they are trawling upto 8 bags of presents with them.

It always seems to be ME that has to twist to allow someone coming towards me NOT to have a head on collision. They just carry on walking ahead regardless...

I wouldn't be in town unless I had to a) get the bus home or b) buy presents myself. At least ones that I can't get from the internet....

Oh......Merry Christmas :p:

Ban Christmas. :D :D :D :D :D

iadom
30-11-2004, 19:48
I too find this an inconvenience, the serfs just will not let my sedan chair past,:) My pet hate is budding chavs on bikes riding on the pavement,:mad:

Theodoric
30-11-2004, 19:58
I too find this an inconvenience, the serfs just will not let my sedan chair past,:) My pet hate is budding chavs on bikes riding on the pavement,:mad:
Not just chavs. Anyone - yoofs, kids, aged grandmothers, aliens. The pavement is for pedestrians.

Stuart
30-11-2004, 20:22
[Whinge time]

I'm fed up. ;)

<snip>

Just try doing it while pushing a wheelchair.. Great fun. People start to walk sideways or stop suddenly just as they get in front...

Maggy
30-11-2004, 20:27
Can anyone tell me why on a Saturday the town is full of old age pensioners?They have all week to go to the bank,building society,post office,supermarket whatever whereas the rest of the world has to cram everything into a Saturday.I'm sick of being rammed in the knees with walking sticks,frames,wheelchairs and those motorised shopper thingies when I have no choice about when I go to the bank,building society,post office.

Mind I just loath shoppers in general too.Damned pushchairs are lethal.The number of women who use their offspring as a battering ram!!

Thank goodness for the internet.Just hope it all arrives in time for Crimbo.

:hyper:

Hey like the newer smilies!!!

Maggy
30-11-2004, 20:29
Just try doing it while pushing a wheelchair.. Great fun. People start to walk sideways or stop suddenly just as they get in front...

Possibly because someone else with a pushchair has just rammed them in the shins !!! :rolleyes:

Stuart
30-11-2004, 20:31
Possibly because someone else with a pushchair has just rammed them in the shins !!! :rolleyes:
Not usually... I speak from experience..

Maggy
30-11-2004, 20:39
Not usually... I speak from experience..

So do I!I'm also a former pram and pusherchair owner too.The number of times I got rammed when pushing my own child truly used to wind me up.

It also amazes me how many there are in the scrum of the local street market on a Saturday too.It's impossible to walk at normal walking pace in ANY direction on a Saturday without tripping over a pushchair. :erm:

swoop101
30-11-2004, 20:45
It is great being the size of a Sumo wrestler at this time of year, all the plebs get out of the way or get leaned on. :p: :D

Stuart
30-11-2004, 20:59
So do I!I'm also a former pram and pusherchair owner too.The number of times I got rammed when pushing my own child truly used to wind me up.

It also amazes me how many there are in the scrum of the local street market on a Saturday too.It's impossible to walk at normal walking pace in ANY direction on a Saturday without tripping over a pushchair. :erm:
True.. Wouldn't life be nicer if some people (I am talking about those who do ram other people, or just get in their way) were more considerate..

Bifta
30-11-2004, 21:11

Say's you who opened a thread purely to moan ... :rolleyes:

Salu
30-11-2004, 23:28
Mr Grumpy actually gave me a red rep!

By the way....I was being sardonic!

greencreeper
30-11-2004, 23:44
It drives me nuts - I weave in and out of them and just give them my "Get the **** out my way" look.

My favourities are:

Umbrella in the eye - classic
Bag slung on shoulder - nothing like a good thump in the chest to clear the lungs

Bifta
30-11-2004, 23:57
Mr Grumpy actually gave me a red rep!

By the way....I was being sardonic!

Sardonic? You need to replace the first four letters with "mor".

greencreeper
01-12-2004, 00:08
Sardonic? You need to replace the first four letters with "mor".
The nurse hasn't been with his evening meds yet - just ignore him.

Bifta
01-12-2004, 00:09
The nurse hasn't been with his evening meds yet - just ignore him.

Are you referring to me?

Paul
01-12-2004, 00:11
Thats enough, there will be no fighting or getting personal please.

Maggy
01-12-2004, 20:13
Thats enough, there will be no fighting or getting personal please.

Spoilsport!I was enjoying the trading of insults.All done without resorting to swearing if I may say so.It's a lost art.

However I suppose in the interest of keeping to topic we should desist from insulting one another.Boring though.

Now which one is Groucho and which one is is Oscar Wilde? :)

Stuart
01-12-2004, 20:49
Spoilsport!I was enjoying the trading of insults.All done without resorting to swearing if I may say so.It's a lost art.

However I suppose in the interest of keeping to topic we should desist from insulting one another.Boring though.

And there was me about to go and get a Coke and some popcorn and settle down into a chair to watch...

greencreeper
01-12-2004, 23:09

Now which one is Groucho and which one is is Oscar Wilde? :)
There a lot of mysteries in life - why the dinosaurs died out, the existence of Wales, and why Bifta has so many rep points when all he seems to do is red rep others and post insults :erm: I think Bifta might be nice Frank's alter-ego :Yes:

I've just survived Ikea. Tacky christmas decorations everywhere you look, kids running riot, people stopping dead in front of you to look at some flimsy flat pack thing for £200...