PDA

View Full Version : How to †˜distressâà ƒÆ’¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€ žÂ¢ jeans?

Russ
29-11-2004, 15:09
I have a pair of dark indigo jeans which Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢d like to give a more †˜wornâÃà ‚¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ã¢â€ž ¢ or †˜distressedà¢ÃƒÆ’¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢ââ‚ ¬Å¾Ã‚¢ look. Aside from wearing them down myself, are there any processes I can try which will speed it up myself?

orangebird
29-11-2004, 15:11
After you've washed them, dry them inside out. Also, try and hang them by a window where the sun comes in, this will fade them gently and evenly.

Russ
29-11-2004, 15:12
Really??

Is that all it takes?

Mr_love_monkey
29-11-2004, 15:13
Take them to a laundrette, place them in a large sack with a collection of stones - wash them....

Russ
29-11-2004, 15:16
Take them to a laundrette, place them in a large sack with a collection of stones - wash them....

lol I didn't think of that! But I'd rather 'faded' than 'stonewashed' :D

Mr_love_monkey
29-11-2004, 15:18

Everyone's a critic :)

Having read orangebirds solution, that seems a lot easier :)

orangebird
29-11-2004, 15:19
Really??

Is that all it takes?

It won't make much difference instantly, but yes, it does work. Even better if you have a tumble dryer. Drying them inside out makes the colour fade on the 'natural' creases of your jeans ie across the tummy and crotch, behind the knees etc.

lol I didn't think of that :p

Just make sure the laundrette owner doesn't mind you putting stones in their machines...

STONEISLAND
29-11-2004, 15:19
Get a rope and tie a knot to the jeans then to a car and drive for about 2 miles with great results.

Russ
29-11-2004, 15:25
Possibly a bit extreme but thanks! :)

Nidge
29-11-2004, 16:30
I have a pair of dark indigo jeans which Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢d like to give a more †˜wornâÃà ‚¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ã¢â€ž ¢ or †˜distressedà¢ÃƒÆ’¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢ââ‚ ¬Å¾Ã‚¢ look. Aside from wearing them down myself, are there any processes I can try which will speed it up myself?

Wash with a cap full of bleach till your happy with the shade. Simple really. :D :D :D

Dave Stones
29-11-2004, 16:32
take an electric sander to them, just like stonewashing but more specific and faster ;)

Graham M
29-11-2004, 16:37
Someone's been watching too much Braniac! :)

Dave Stones
29-11-2004, 16:40
Someone's been watching too much Braniac! :)
for the benefit of the masses, what's that? :dunce:

Salu
29-11-2004, 16:57
Talk to them and tell them that they are the ugliest pair of jeans you have ever seen; that their parents were sent to the charity shop last week and they will go the same way.....That should soon distress them.. ;)

SMHarman
29-11-2004, 16:59
It won't make much difference instantly, but yes, it does work. Even better if you have a tumble dryer. Drying them inside out makes the colour fade on the 'natural' creases of your jeans ie across the tummy and crotch, behind the knees etc.

You need to put them outside the window, not inside as glass acts (Pilkington K moreso) as a very effective UV filter (UV doing the fading an all that). Thats why a sunny day on the washing line can fade a red T in hours (red is also more affected by UV being nearer it), this is why red cars fade more than other colours.

Graham
29-11-2004, 18:21

And get thrown out and stuck with a large bill for a replacement washing machine drum!

Shaun
29-11-2004, 19:31
Buy a new pair of jeans? :erm:

Theodoric
29-11-2004, 19:39
If you want to fade them, then you need a bit of UV to speed things up. Try a UV lamp, or possibly a sun bed.

Bex
29-11-2004, 19:40
Talk to them and tell them that they are the ugliest pair of jeans you have ever seen; that their parents were sent to the charity shop last week and they will go the same way.....That should soon distress them.. ;)
i think that is the best solution so far. that really made me laugh.

wouldn't it be easier to buy a pair of jeans that are already "distressed"?

Theodoric
29-11-2004, 19:40
And get thrown out and stuck with a large bill for a replacement washing machine drum!
You could try the traditional method; beating them on a large stone at the river bank.

greencreeper
29-11-2004, 20:15
See if any forum members have access to a shotgun - get them to "distress" the jeans.

cookie_365
29-11-2004, 20:23
Banish the little'uns (the shorts), dim the lights, light a few candles, arrange the jeans snugly on the sofa with plenty of cushions, relaxing new age music playing quietly in the background ....

Oh, hang on, did you say distress ??? ;)

Russ
29-11-2004, 20:37
This is getting silly

greencreeper
29-11-2004, 20:43
This is getting silly
I was being serious. It has been known before.

paulyoung666
29-11-2004, 20:44
wear them at work that will surely distress them :D :D :D :D

Russ
29-11-2004, 20:46
I don't really want to get new jeans as they're only about 2 months old and cost me quite a bit, it's just they could do with a bit of fading.

Theodoric
29-11-2004, 21:05
I don't really want to get new jeans as they're only about 2 months old and cost me quite a bit, it's just they could do with a bit of fading.
OK, what about a bit of bleaching. Shove them in a bath full of water and try adding (a) a dilute solution of Dygone (sp?), or (b) bleach (the sort that contains sodium hypochlorite) or (c) hydogen peroxide. Of course (a) I give no guarantee as to what this will do to the fabric, and (b), I'd suggest a really good wash to get rid of any of the chemicals used.

EDIT And I still think that my UV suggestion is the safest method.

homealone
29-11-2004, 21:55

how have you been washing them?

it used to be a trade off between fading & shrinking - the hotter you washed 'em the more they would fade, but the more they would shrink.

For a shortar$e like me, it wasn't a problem to buy a size or 2 bigger, but you is tall :p:

- on a cooler wash, one of the 'Vanish oxy stain remover' type products may help, but like Theo says, you risk 'fading' too much.

Basically wash them lots :D

carlingman
30-11-2004, 03:22
See if any forum members have access to a shotgun - get them to "distress" the jeans.

:D

You called, although I am sorry I cant accomodate as although I do have access to the above mentioned fire arm, apparently people take offence to me using it for the above said purposes.

Although I would be happy to oblige providing Russ D was not wearing the jeans at the time, maybe I could have a pot shot when they were on his washing line.

:D

Theodoric
30-11-2004, 19:03
A bit of idle googling has just brought to light this method (http://sewing.about.com/library/sewnews/library/aasewnewsfaded.htm) involving a power drill, grinder stones and a bottle of bleach.

EDIT The site also gives details of such fascinating projects as sewing elf costume shoes, making a fleece blanket and, wait for it, sewing a fabric tissue box cover.