PDA

View Full Version : NTL BB Setup - DHCP Error

skyblueheroes
28-11-2004, 19:58
Okay, problem guys that I hope you can help with......

My dad is an ntl bb user, but has just switched comps from his old P3 to min old P4. He used to use usb 1.1, but I was gonna get him on Ethernet on the new one.

Anyway, installed okay at first and got to the stage of assigning IP. Then, got following error..........

DHCP release/renew failed.
You have 1 Network Adapter(s) set to DHCP.

RealTek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet
NIC - Packet Scheduler Minport

Anyone got any ideas ?? When I installed on his previous comp there were no problems.......

Ta muchly !
SBH.

Tricky
28-11-2004, 21:24
What OS are you running?
You don't have the USB plugged in as well do you?
How many network adaptors do you have (some like me have an onboard and add another)
Are you using a router
SACM or STB?

skyblueheroes
28-11-2004, 21:30
What OS are you running?
You don't have the USB plugged in as well do you?
How many network adaptors do you have (some like me have an onboard and add another)
Are you using a router
SACM or STB?

-XP
-No
-Erm, I didn't originally have a LAN board, but bought one ages ago. Used that for a while, then bought a Wireless USB set up. Used that until recently, then uninstalled device. So, in answer to your question, just one (but Network Connections shows 2 - RealTek and something called 1349 or something like that)
- No. Just the NTL CM

Chris W
28-11-2004, 21:30
Check the ip address- you will probably find it is 169.254....

turn off the modem, remove the CATV cable and shut the computer down. Then replace the CATV, turn the modem back on, wait for SYNC and RDY to go solid, and then start back up the pc.

Check the ip address and it should now have changed- don't bother with the installation cd now, just go straight for the Internet Explorer :)

Stuart W
28-11-2004, 21:56
Monkeybreath, why disconect the CATV cable??

Surely this is a bad idea as every time you disconect/reconect you risk damaging the connection itself.

It's only a single core copper wire.

Chris W
28-11-2004, 22:21
Monkeybreath, why disconect the CATV cable??

Surely this is a bad idea as every time you disconect/reconect you risk damaging the connection itself.

It's only a single core copper wire.

It isn't always a good idea but it is an easy way of getting rid of a 169 ip address ;)

Raistlin
28-11-2004, 22:22
If monkeybreath's suggestion fails try disabling your firewall completely.

skyblueheroes
01-12-2004, 16:18
Cheers guys. Didn't need to pull out that cable. Just rebooted CM and PC and all seemed fine.

Thanks again.

Raistlin
01-12-2004, 16:47
:blush: LoL, oh yeah. You could always try that.....