PDA

View Full Version : Lava lamps

Electrolyte01
27-11-2004, 22:52
Has any one here got a lava lamp? I have one of the Mathmos original lava lamps (just the standard while one, which is orange in the middle) and it's supposed to be on for a max of 6 hours, but for some reason I can't even keep mine on for 3 hours now (it's old, about 5-6 years old I think) so I was wondering if the wax in it was wearing out, and if any one knows any places to get replacements?

P.S, lava lamps rule! :D

ikthius
27-11-2004, 22:55
the gadget shop will fill it up with new wax and liquid, but not sure how much....

And yes I got a mathmos one, with blue liquid and yellow was, that looks green.

ik

dilli-theclaw
27-11-2004, 22:56
Has any one here got a lava lamp? I have one of the Mathmos original lava lamps (just the standard while one, which is orange in the middle) and it's supposed to be on for a max of 6 hours, but for some reason I can't even keep mine on for 3 hours now (it's old, about 5-6 years old I think) so I was wondering if the wax in it was wearing out, and if any one knows any places to get replacements?

P.S, lava lamps rule! :D
I have an original one down in the living room and I have a 'ketchup' bottle one in the computer room. Although I prefer the plasma ball :)

I don't know where you'd get replacement from, I read somewhere you could make up the mix yourself, but I wouldn't fancy it.

Ramrod
27-11-2004, 22:57
Here (http://www.mathmos.co.uk/) you go m8! :)

Mine wore out after a few years as well..............

Electrolyte01
27-11-2004, 22:59
I just looked at the website actually, I have the old "white" version of the Jet design, might just buy the new Jet design, black and red :p:

Bex
27-11-2004, 22:59
i have a mathmos one. purple and orange .... i've had it for five years now and it still works perfectly well.

let me ask my aunt if/where you can get re-fills as she owns a lighting shop and they deal with mathmos

p.s. apparently mathmos are the best ones to get.... the cheapo ones which you can buy aren't as good. something about changing the bulbs or something

Ramrod
27-11-2004, 23:10
i have a mathmos one. purple and orange .... i've had it for five years now and it still works perfectly well.

let me ask my aunt if/where you can get re-fills as she owns a lighting shop and they deal with mathmos

p.s. apparently mathmos are the best ones to get.... the cheapo ones which you can buy aren't as good. something about changing the bulbs or somethingThe bulb is just a bulb. Nothing special about it :)

Electrolyte01
27-11-2004, 23:14
Mathmos invented the lava lamp, that's why there the best ;)

dilli-theclaw
27-11-2004, 23:15
Mathmos invented the lava lamp, that's why there the best ;)
Mathmos stole the concept from Barbarella. ;)

greencreeper
27-11-2004, 23:16
Do you all sit there looking at them, maybe nibbling on a bit of dried mushroom?

:p:

Electrolyte01
27-11-2004, 23:17
Mathmos stole the concept from Barbarella. ;)
Ehhh what ever :p:

Mal
27-11-2004, 23:18
Ehhh what ever :p:
Never seen the film then?

Electrolyte01
27-11-2004, 23:18
Never even heard of it :erm:

Bex
27-11-2004, 23:19
The bulb is just a bulb. Nothing special about it :)
i said something like changing the bulb or something... meaning it could be something like that or i could be making it up completely... but the orignial thought is still the same... mathmos are better than the cheapo ones

so :PP: to you rammy

dilli-theclaw
27-11-2004, 23:21
I mainly like the first 5 mins.... and the zoom control on my dvd player ;):D

danielf
27-11-2004, 23:26

That's why you're cr@p at the quiz threads :)

Electrolyte01
27-11-2004, 23:27
That's why you're cr@p at the quiz threads :)
Oh come off it, look at my age, how am I supposed to know? :( :D

danielf
27-11-2004, 23:35

Only time will tell I suppose :p:

homealone
27-11-2004, 23:37

my 2p - remember, anyway, you never know when it might come in handy :D

Mal
27-11-2004, 23:42
That's a cr@p excuse. :) It (http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0062711/) was made 5 years before I was born and I've still seen it.

Electrolyte01
27-11-2004, 23:44
That's a cr@p excuse. :) It (http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0062711/) was made 5 years before I was born and I've still seen it.
I'm not even going to work out how long that was for me then :erm:

Mal
27-11-2004, 23:46
I'm not even going to work out how long that was for me then :erm:
So, you don't watch movies from before you were born then?

Electrolyte01
27-11-2004, 23:48
So, you don't watch movies from before you were born then?
Only a couple, due to my parents mentioning them to me :)

Mal
27-11-2004, 23:51
Only a couple, due to my parents mentioning them to me :)
Speechless...

You're missing out on a load of good films then. Get to your nearest Blockbusters and get a load of dvd's out then. ;) :)

dilli-theclaw
27-11-2004, 23:53
So here's a picture of Jane Fonda stuck in the excessive machine :)

And one of the Mathmos by itself

And another of Barbarella and the queen stuck in the Mathmos.

Only the fact that it would be deleted stopped me taking a screenshot from the 1st couple of mins ;)

Maggy
28-11-2004, 00:33

Incog picks herself up off the floor.

So you have no idea where Duran,Duran got their name from.

waits for comment..Who are Duran,Duran?

Electrolyte01
28-11-2004, 00:57
waits for comment..Who are Duran,Duran?
That's what I'm thinking :(

Maggy
28-11-2004, 12:56
That's what I'm thinking :(

Sighhhh!

Take a listen here (http://www.woolworths.co.uk/common/search/searchresults_brand.jhtml;jsessionid=2COOY1ZGGRR5L LAQ1QPSFEY?media=digital&digital_format=All&_requestid=73348)

They were(and some would say still are)one of the greatest bands of the 80's.They took their name from one of the characters in the Barberella film.

Now go buy your lava lamp.Me I can live without a reminder of the 60's.I'm someone who can actually remember the era. :D

Funny how everyone reckons it was a terrific time to live through.It's not what I remember.Inequality for ethnics and women was still the norm.Equal education didn't arrive until AFTER the 60's finished.Some people still didn't have a bathroom.Cathy Come Home was the normal situation for some.

For all it's faults I prefer the here and now. :tu:

Bifta
28-11-2004, 13:02
I've got a Mathmos "1963 Original" which isn't actually from 1963, it's from 2001, but it still work perfectly, and it's huge!

Electrolyte01
28-11-2004, 13:10
Gonna go for the Jet one, I like the Jet one I have now, but the black one would look better :D

Ramrod
28-11-2004, 17:09
Never even heard of it :erm:Not heard of Barbarella?! Go find it and watch it! :naughty:i said something like changing the bulb or something... meaning it could be something like that or i could be making it up completely... but the orignial thought is still the same... mathmos are better than the cheapo ones

so :PP: to you rammy.......a suitably chastised Rammy :D

Electrolyte01
28-11-2004, 17:18
Hmm, I think I just found a way to "un-wear" the wax :erm:

I havn't let it "melt" in over 6 months, and now it's been on for 5 hours so far and it's still fine. It hasn't got to the point when I know I should turn it off. Looks like leaving it off for that long has made the wax better than it was before, hopefully that is :)