PDA

View Full Version : ASDA Mastercard?

Caspar
27-11-2004, 15:33
Ok, I'm thinking about signing up for a ASDA Mastercard ...

What's the difference between Mastercard and VISA?

Is it recognised the same thorughout the world? (UK and US?)...

Am I protected the same for purchases, online and offline?

ASDA would give me 0.5% for every £1 I spend which doesn't sound alot but it's more than my Barclaycard who offer me stupid Nectar points, which I've never cashed in!

Tezcatlipoca
27-11-2004, 17:15

They're both credit cards, they're just from different companies. A Mastercard credit card would work just like a VISA credit card.

Yep.

http://www.mastercard.com/uk/general/faq.html

Q - Are MasterCard cards accepted globally?
A - Yes, MasterCard is accepted around the world at retail outlets and ATM machines, where you see the MasterCard (or Maestro/Cirrus) sign. Currently, you can use your card in more than 32 million locations worldwide.

Don't know. I would've thought so though.

Have a look through http://www.mastercard.com/uk/ for more info :)

SMHarman
27-11-2004, 20:01
<snip>
<snip>
M/C / VISA / Diners and AMEX are all settlement organisations that authorise pass data between the issuing bank and the retailer / retailers bank to settle.
MC and Visa are owned by a consortium of banks. AMEX by AMEX and Diners by Citibank.

But to answer the question most 95+% of organisations that take visa will take mastercard, as their business bank will link them to both automatially on appn
Not the case for diners and amex were separate applicatons to the networksa re required.

Paul
27-11-2004, 20:08
What's the difference between Mastercard and VISA?Nothing, they are both credit cards, just different companies.

Is it recognised the same thorughout the world? (UK and US?)... Yes.

Am I protected the same for purchases, online and offline?Check the agreement, levels of cover vary.

ASDA would give me 0.5% for every £1 I spend which doesn't sound alot but it's more than my Barclaycard who offer me stupid Nectar points, which I've never cashed in!
Go for it. I also use mastercards (and visa cards) that give cashback, 0.5% is about average for these schemes.

gary_580
28-11-2004, 00:15

Morgan Stanley Mastercard gives you 1% on your first £2000 per year spend and then 0.5% on the rest and its free too

SMHarman
28-11-2004, 10:51
Or AMEX Blue

The financial facts about Blue, including 2% MoneyBack for the first 3 months and up to 1% thereafter.