PDA

View Full Version : hand baggage allowance ..

markmarkymark
26-11-2004, 21:31
Yo ...

I am flying BA tommorow. I am allowed one piece of hand baggage, no greater weight than 6 KG. How strict is than enforced - I mean I'm 6.4 KG. Will they turn that away or are the weights guidelines?

cheers

MArk

Tricky
26-11-2004, 21:34
If you're slightly over they'll usually (don't hold (no pun) it too me) they are generally more interested in the size! Worst case they'll bang it in the hold for you. Take a carrier bag inside the bag so that you can take things out you don't want in the hold just in case (no pun!)

Shaun
26-11-2004, 23:11
If you are travelling with other people then you can pool your allowance, that way if other members have lighter baggage it cancels out your heavier baggage :)

HTH

markmarkymark
26-11-2004, 23:18
thanks all..

actually I am going to the middle east on my own for 48 hours so I am trying to avoid having anything other than hand baggage. My bag has a light laptop (2kg), a few clothes, some work notes, a digi camera and a flight adapter (for powering laptop)..... I am really amazed that lot weighs so much !

I'm wondering If I can stuff the adapter and its leads into my pocket and perhaps hold the camera.... it just seems a real shame to split this up for the sake of a few 100g when I do not even have anything in the hold...

MArk

Chris W
26-11-2004, 23:20
don't most carriers allow a laptop bag and a piece of handbaggage?

if not... women are allowed a handbag as well has handbaggage, so you could take a small bag as well and if they won't let you take both in the cabin claim sex discrimination ;)

gary_580
26-11-2004, 23:23
don't most carriers allow a laptop bag and a piece of handbaggage?

if not... women are allowed a handbag as well has handbaggage, so you could take a small bag as well and if they won't let you take both in the cabin claim sex discrimination ;)

Correct

danielf
26-11-2004, 23:34
<snip>
I'm wondering If I can stuff the adapter and its leads into my pocket and perhaps hold the camera.... it just seems a real shame to split this up for the sake of a few 100g when I do not even have anything in the hold...

MArk

Like others have said, it's the size more than the weight they're interested in. I doubt they will complain if it's a little heavier (you're very rarely asked to have it weighed). They might complain if it's bulky.

Paul K
27-11-2004, 10:39
We overshot our baggage weight allowance by quite a margin on our trip to Kos and the airline wasn't fussed. As long as it isn't excessive and your bags are the right size then you should be ok ;) Make sure you get a bag that is the maximum allowed size for the overhead storage bins but be warned that others have a tendancy to bring bags that will fill the entire thing and mess everyone else up :(

ian@huth
27-11-2004, 10:52
Never had my hand baggage weighed by BA or any other carrier for that matter. I have only once had it queried, not by BA, and been asked to put it in a metal frame at the check in desk to see if it was within size limits.

paulyoung666
27-11-2004, 10:59
to be on the safe side dont exceed the limit , it caused all sorts of problems when we went to florida , mucho ditching stuff and swapping about :disturbd: :disturbd: :disturbd: :disturbd:

Graham M
27-11-2004, 14:51
Just buy a handbag and pretend to be a cross dresser for the day ;)

SMHarman
27-11-2004, 20:03
thanks all..

actually I am going to the middle east on my own for 48 hours so I am trying to avoid having anything other than hand baggage. My bag has a light laptop (2kg), a few clothes, some work notes, a digi camera and a flight adapter (for powering laptop)..... I am really amazed that lot weighs so much !

MArk
Which sounds like you will be on an expensive Y class fare, so they are even less likely to be upset.

Oh and the laptop is a separate item.