PDA

View Full Version : PC World Strikes Again - Help - quick!!

LSainsbury
26-11-2004, 14:29
Hello,

My girlfriend bought a Fuji 607 digital camera from PCWorld on Monday for £149.

It's a nice camera to get her stated in the land of digital.

Yesterday I saw a Dixons advert in the paper for the same camera - but with a price change - it's now £99!

Can we take the camera back to PC World and get a full refund and buy it in Dixons? I believe under the Sale of Goods Act 1979, we can return said item for a full refund...?

Cheers

Lee

paulyoung666
26-11-2004, 14:37
they are part of the same group arent they , ask them if they will price match retrospectively , i know woolworths do this , go and ask them :)

Bifta
26-11-2004, 14:40
Hello,

Yesterday I saw a Dixons advert in the paper for the same camera - but with a price change - it's now £99!

Can we take the camera back to PC World and get a full refund and buy it in Dixons? I believe under the Sale of Goods Act 1979, we can return said item for a full refund...?

Cheers

Lee

I don't think you're entitled to a refund unless it's faulty, it'll probably be down to the stores disgression.

trebor
26-11-2004, 14:42
I think you can return things within 7 days (I think it's 7 days) I have returned all sorts in the past.
I suggest try it what have you got to lose.

etccarmageddon
26-11-2004, 14:45
I believe under the Sale of Goods Act 1979, we can return said item for a full refund...?

no you cant but if you purchased via the internet you could return it using the distance selling law - subject to the time limit which I think is around 1 week.

paulyoung666
26-11-2004, 14:46
no you cant but if you purchased via the internet you could return it using the distance selling law - subject to the time limit which I think is around 1 week.

14 days , just checked both the websites :)

andygrif
26-11-2004, 14:49
Hello,

Cheers

Lee

Sale of goods act only applies is there is something wrong with the item. You are not entitled to a refund, so check the company's terms - sometimes they will price match within 7 days of purchase.

LSainsbury
26-11-2004, 14:50
14 days , just checked both the websites :)

It was from a store - not website...

Paul - can you provide a link please?? Top man! :tu:

LSainsbury
26-11-2004, 15:17
Cancellations and Returns

You can cancel your purchase at any time either before or up to 14 days after delivery by:

* returning the product to one of our stores (please bring your receipt with you and the card you paid with, so that it can be credited);
* following the 'Returns' instructions in your delivery documentation;
* emailing us at sales@pcworld.co.uk;
* phoning us on 0870 242 0444 - please have your order reference number and delivery details to hand;
* writing to after sales, P.O. Box 1925, Sheffield, S2 5XW (please do not post products to this address).

Your product must be complete, unused and in 'as new' condition (e.g. if you have opened the box to examine the product you must have done so without damaging or marking the product in any). It should be returned with the original box, packing and accessories. Pre-recorded videotapes, DVDs, CDs, minidiscs and other software must be sealed. Any 'Free Gifts' received with the product must also be returned.

You will receive a full refund, and the cancellation is free of charge provided you return the product to a store, arrange for it to be collected from the delivery address or use one of our pre-paid returns labels. If you choose another method of return, you must bear the costs.

We cannot cancel your purchase when:

* you return your product to a store without proof of purchase;
* there is a contract for services with the product and you have started using the services (this would include e.g. a mobile phone subscription, but not an extended warranty service agreement);
* the seal has been broken on any software including games; or
* the goods were a special order to your specification.

Well - I think that answers it!!

Cheers!

paulyoung666
26-11-2004, 15:37

You can cancel your purchase at any time either before or up to 14 days after delivery by:

* returning the product to one of our stores (please bring your receipt with you and the card you paid with, so that it can be credited);
* following the 'Returns' instructions in your delivery documentation;
* emailing us at sales@pcworld.co.uk;
* phoning us on 0870 242 0444 - please have your order reference number and delivery details to hand;
* writing to after sales, P.O. Box 1925, Sheffield, S2 5XW (please do not post products to this address).

Your product must be complete, unused and in 'as new' condition (e.g. if you have opened the box to examine the product you must have done so without damaging or marking the product in any). It should be returned with the original box, packing and accessories. Pre-recorded videotapes, DVDs, CDs, minidiscs and other software must be sealed. Any 'Free Gifts' received with the product must also be returned.

You will receive a full refund, and the cancellation is free of charge provided you return the product to a store, arrange for it to be collected from the delivery address or use one of our pre-paid returns labels. If you choose another method of return, you must bear the costs.

We cannot cancel your purchase when:

* you return your product to a store without proof of purchase;
* there is a contract for services with the product and you have started using the services (this would include e.g. a mobile phone subscription, but not an extended warranty service agreement);
* the seal has been broken on any software including games; or
* the goods were a special order to your specification.

Well - I think that answers it!!

Cheers!

maybe , it was a shop not the internet :(

bob_builder
26-11-2004, 15:45
The 14-days refund is only if you bought it on the internet. See the following thread for more details:
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=16224

paulyoung666
26-11-2004, 15:51
looks as though you are just going to go and see what happens Lee :)

orangebird
26-11-2004, 16:14
I rarely buy any electrical goods in shops now - prices are so much better on the internet.. :shrug:

etccarmageddon
26-11-2004, 16:18
I think it would be good customer relations to refund the difference but when you purchased it you agreed to pay £149 for it so therefore thought it was worth that. Go back to the store and ask what their returns policy is first - they might just at that particular store allow returns within 7 days for a refund. If they dont then polietly explain that you feel a bit cheated that the price has dropped so significantly within days of you buying it.

paulyoung666
26-11-2004, 16:21
I think it would be good customer relations to refund the difference but when you purchased it you agreed to pay £149 for it so therefore thought it was worth that. Go back to the store and ask what their returns policy is first - they might just at that particular store allow returns within 7 days for a refund. If they dont then polietly explain that you feel a bit cheated that the price has dropped so significantly within days of you buying it.

which sort of brings it back to woolworths will do a pricematch for upto 7 days after purchase , now whether it is going to happen in this case is another matter :disturbd:

dilli-theclaw
26-11-2004, 16:25
which sort of brings it back to woolworths will do a pricematch for upto 7 days after purchase , now whether it is going to happen in this case is another matter :disturbd:
This is a good point, I've bought some stuff from woolies before and then found it cheaper elsewhere. I wrote to the address on the receipt and soon got some vouchers back with an extra £5 on top :)

I say take it back to pcworld and see what they say, I've never had a problem taking anything back there on the odd occasion I've bought stuff from there.

Neil
26-11-2004, 16:32
You have NO rights if you simply change your mind about something you have bought, made a mistake, or were told about the fault before you bought it. The shop may exchange or give you a refund as a gesture of its goodwill.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/guides_to/goodsandservices/

ian@huth
26-11-2004, 16:38
There is a case reported on http://www.refunds.org.uk/webinfo/current.htm about a refund request at PC World (scroll down a bit to find it).

What you could do is go into PC World and pretend to be buying the same camera from them. Ask them if you buy the camera as a present for someone could they get a refund if the present was unsuitable. The answer will probably be yes in order for the salesperson to get the sale. Then tell them that you bought one for a present and was just checking to make sure that the promise of a refund made by the salesperson who sold it to you was correct and ask them to process a refund for it. Make sure that the store is busy when you do this and if they refuse a refund tell them in a very loud voice what you think about the promises they make in order to gain a sale.

Neil
26-11-2004, 16:43
There is a case reported on http://www.refunds.org.uk/webinfo/current.htm about a refund request at PC World (scroll down a bit to find it).

What you could do is go into PC World and pretend to be buying the same camera from them. Ask them if you buy the camera as a present for someone could they get a refund if the present was unsuitable. The answer will probably be yes in order for the salesperson to get the sale. Then tell them that you bought one for a present and was just checking to make sure that the promise of a refund made by the salesperson who sold it to you was correct and ask them to process a refund for it. Make sure that the store is busy when you do this and if they refuse a refund tell them in a very loud voice what you think about the promises they make in order to gain a sale.

Top notch-nice find Ian. :tu:

Theodoric
26-11-2004, 16:55
I think you can return things within 7 days (I think it's 7 days) I have returned all sorts in the past.
I suggest try it what have you got to lose.
There could be a problem in returning a camera; Argos, for example, won't take them back unless they're faulty. I assume that this is because of numerous wise guys who have bought a camera, used it over the weekend to photograph a family wedding, downloaded the images, then taken it back on the Monday.

Neil
26-11-2004, 17:37
There could be a problem in returning a camera; Argos, for example, won't take them back unless they're faulty. I assume that this is because of numerous wise guys who have bought a camera, used it over the weekend to photograph a family wedding, downloaded the images, then taken it back on the Monday.

:notopic: Do Argos specifically exclude cameras from their normal 16 Day Return Policy then?

SMHarman
26-11-2004, 17:53
:notopic: Do Argos specifically exclude cameras from their normal 16 Day Return Policy then?
Yes.

<snip>Your product must be complete, unused and in 'as new' condition (e.g. if you have opened the box to examine the product you must have done so without damaging or marking the product in any). It should be returned with the original box, packing and accessories. <snip>
Cheers!
Remember you can always return the brand new in box replacement one you bought for £99 from dioxins to PCW, they cannot complain that it has been opened then.

Graham
26-11-2004, 18:10
If you bought it using Barclaycard I think they still do their "Price Promise" offer whereby if you buy something that costs more than fifty quid and you find the same item cheaper at another retailer within 60 days they'll refund the difference.

Theodoric
26-11-2004, 19:11
Yes. I was with my daughter-in-law when she bought one a couple of weeks ago and that's what they said; the possible reason is my theory.

dilli-theclaw
26-11-2004, 19:23
Some are and some aren't.... You need to check before you buy. I got one just b4 xmas last year and it was. Luckily for me it was not working properly (there was a problem with the ccd) so I could take it back and get a cheaper one elsewhere. Which was pcworld as it happens :)

LSainsbury
28-11-2004, 00:21
...and to conclude what happened...we took it back - no questions asked - a full refund!

Lee

Steve H
28-11-2004, 00:42
PC world around stoke are very lax when it comes to returning things, you only have to tell em your comp doesn't have any USB/Firewire ports and they'l return it lol.

trebor
28-11-2004, 00:58
nice one well done ;) it's amazing what you can get away with when you just ask.