PDA

View Full Version : Disconnections in online games

Brakeinup
24-11-2004, 22:48
Sorry about the long post ! here goes...

Whenever I play any online multiplayer games (BF1942, UT2003 etc) I will get disconnected from the server. This will happen regardless of what server I connect to. Generally the cable connection works flawlessly - I get around 90k/sec when downloading from ftp sites but I play online I get booted. I even get dropouts when I am downloading via ftp.

In BF1942 I can be in the game for a few seconds or a few minutes until I get "Warning: connection problems detected". This, 9 times out of 10, ends up with me disconnecting from the server. And this is no specific server.

I have called ntl tech support 3 times now regarding my connectivity problem. The first person had me on hold for so long that my phone batteries died. The second person was reading from a set of instructions which did not help my case. The third person was also reading from scripted instructions but he was able to get a lot further with diagnosing my problem (ntl have outsourced to India now?).

We setup my pc so that the cable modem was connected directly to my PC via ethernet. I dropped my firewall so he could continuously ping my ip address. I launched a game and connected to an online server. After about 30 seconds in to the game I got my connection problem warning message and the tech support person even saw that packets were getting dropped as he could not ping me for a few seconds, but he could not explain why. He then put me through to his supervisor as he had exhausted all of his resources - I had to hang up as I was on hold again for too long.

I have tried a different pc, new cables, new network card etc and I still get the same problem. Tech support don't seem to be able to help me!

(I am running a P4 PC with a Terayon cable modem at 750K/sec which is connected via ethernet. I think this hits the Nottingham exchange??).

To try and prove that a problem exists I downloaded and installed Pingplotter and set this going for around 6 hours pinging a popular UK based BF1942 game server. The traceroute went through 16 hops to get to the server but general performance was fine - except for the periodic packet loss at certain intervals! (for a snapshot please look here (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/p.bradley12/images/) - click on ping.jpg). If you can see the snapshot you will see the red lines of packet loss - this is enough to get me booted from every online game I play.

Is there anything that ntl can do to help me with this problem? Or can anyone here tell me what I can do next!!

Any help really appreciated as I have just bought Halflife 2 with Counterstrike: Source and my connection has to be perfect to play CS :)

Ignition
24-11-2004, 22:52
Send me a PM with your IP address please. Ta.

The IP from your router at 192.168.1.1 :)

Brakeinup
24-11-2004, 22:56
Done!

Ignition
24-11-2004, 22:58
Fixed - you may want to turn the P2P off that won't help your pings any :p:

Oh and if you have anything plugged into the coax that isn't the modem or an ntl set top disconnect it, it's what's ruining your gaming.

Should this happen again don't hesitate to post.

Brakeinup
24-11-2004, 23:00
Fixed - you may want to turn the P2P off that won't help your pings any :p: WHOA!

May I ask what you did to fix it please? :)

I do not have anything else plugged into the coax as we do not have an ntl tv package anymore (gone Sky +)...

Ignition
24-11-2004, 23:04
See PM

If there's any loose coax not plugged into anything get rid if you can, that's like a giant aerial sucking up interference. Ideally should just be the one piece of coax between the drop inside your house and the modem now :)

Brakeinup
24-11-2004, 23:09
Thanks for your help!

I will test it out later and let you know!

Brakeinup
24-11-2004, 23:32
Well, had a quick game of BF1942 and I did not get any disconnections!!!

I need to test it more though but looking extremly good so far :)

Brakeinup
26-11-2004, 21:25
Still having problems after more testing...

But due to Ignitions excellent fault diagnosis it seems I have a faulty modem. An engineer has been organised to have a look at my cable modem on tuesday! I am now very confident that this problem will get sorted.

Thanks Ignition - I will update this thread with the results :)

Brakeinup
02-12-2004, 18:44
Well, I am one happy dude!

ntl engineer came out and swapped out my modem.

After extensive testing I can say that it is PERFECT! no connection problems or packet loss like I was getting before!

Many Many thanks to Ignition and this forum!:):):):):):):):)

Ignition
02-12-2004, 18:49
Happy to help, thanks also to the people in Swansea for getting an engineer out so quickly after I spoke to them and doing the real leg work :)

Brakeinup
03-12-2004, 19:40
:)

gange10
07-12-2004, 15:35
Having exactly the same problem in a game not even play an online game can be anything and the connection just goes, and then have to reboot my stystem very annoying!!!
Could it be the same problem??
Weary of ringing sounds like a lot of time and effort!!!

Chris W
07-12-2004, 16:05
Well Ignition is not around.....

But if you PM me your ip i'll have a look in work tomorrow