PDA

View Full Version : GTA - Vice City for Xmas

NEONKNIGHT
20-08-2003, 23:32
Reading in the latest edition of Xbox World Mag, all the pointers are heading towards a release of GTA Vice City on the Xbox in time for Chrimbo. Bring it on!:smokin:

Jarandco
21-08-2003, 09:01
Yeah this sounds good - very good! But remmebr itll just be called vice city to get around the contract with sony!

zerolight
21-08-2003, 09:44
i have to say that I am doubting this. its all rumour and no announcements. if it does come out, it will be sometime in 2k4 in order to meet the agreements with Sony. You can't just change a name to get around an agreement (not unless Sony have agreed to that too). Bungie couldn't rename Halo, then release it on the PS2 now could they.

Defiant
21-08-2003, 12:07
Seen it in the mags too so dont think its just a rumour but I still think Sony will try taking them to court. Their a little like Microsoft in that sense they dont like companies extracting the urine outta them

Boom
14-11-2003, 16:09
LOL @ reading these replies.

Anyway, here's a review 5/5 of GTA from Gamespy who might not know anythig about online console gaming, do a decent review of an old favourite:

http://www.gamespy.com/reviews/november03/gtaxbox/

Defiant
14-11-2003, 16:15
Still don't know why they put GTA3 and VC on different DVD's. They'd both fit on one with 2GB to spare !

Boom
17-11-2003, 11:52
I think Gamespot has finally seen the light. Recently a lot of their Xbox only game reviews have been getting >8.6/10 scores.

The Xbox version of GTA came in at whopping 9.6/10 which must be the highest score for any Xbox game and considering it was already out on PC and ps2, I'm frankly quite surprised.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/adventure/grandtheftauto3/review.html

Neil
17-11-2003, 13:03
I've got GTA Vice City on my XBOX, & it rocks!! :D

Jarandco
17-11-2003, 15:50

Nooo u chipper u! :p

I want it!!! :D

Defiant
17-11-2003, 16:08

What about GTA3

Neil
17-11-2003, 16:20
What about GTA3

What about it!? :p

Defiant
17-11-2003, 16:23
What about it!? :p

I liked gta 3 a little more. Most likely because it was the first game like that

Neil
17-11-2003, 16:30
I liked gta 3 a little more. Most likely because it was the first game like that

True Crime-Streets of L.A is also cool. :)

Jarandco
17-11-2003, 16:52
Ok everyone the big news is official the Release date is here and guess what its released on...

JANUARY 2ND 2004*

arghh!!!!!! :mad: all due to f*ckin sony!!! :mad:

Apparently Sony has got an agreement stating the double pack exclusive for ps2 for 2003 in Europe!!! Stupid i know but looks as if we have gotta wait! :cry:

heres the link for more info - http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php?id=98569

Stupid Sony!

*Please note date hasent been confirmed by Rockstar

Boom
17-11-2003, 16:54
That's it. I'm getting a Canadian Xbox, the HDTV support pack and GTA double pack from the brother sent over before Xmas.

Defiant
17-11-2003, 16:58
That's it. I'm getting a Canadian Xbox, the HDTV support pack and GTA double pack from the brother sent over before Xmas.

It would be allot cheaper to just get an xbox chipped and then buy the US version of the game

Boom
17-11-2003, 17:06
It would be allot cheaper to just get an xbox chipped and then buy the US version of the game

Haven't had much fun with chipped consoles so far. I had some dramas with a chipped ps2. Not sure I want to go down that route again. Also does a chipped Xbox output in the HDTV formats. Not sure if its 1080i or which one, but does a chipped xbox support it?

zerolight
18-11-2003, 08:53
http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/news/default.asp?subsectionid=159&articleid=66212&pagetype=2

So I guess my misgivings about its release, or lack of an announcement were not totally unfounded. Jan 2 is the suspected release date as Jarandco suggests, though again, Rockstar have not made any official announcement.

Jarandco
08-12-2003, 20:55
Jan 2nd is OFFICIAL!

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php?id=99209

:)

DrAwesome
08-12-2003, 23:21
Jan 2nd is OFFICIAL!

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php?id=99209

:)

weird link :shrug:

In order to continue to view this site, we ask that you spend a few minutes to register with us.

If you are already a member

Errr... No!

I'll be getting Armed & Dangerous (Lucas Arts?) if it comes out this side of Xmas 4 xmas

Jarandco
09-12-2003, 09:36
That link workd fine for me, and i'm ona different pc now?!

Boom
09-12-2003, 10:57

Probably, but does the chipped Xbox support the HDTV format? i.e. if I buy the HDTV pack will it output properly?

If not, the only extra cost is shipping for the box and HDTV pack. Then again I am going 'home' next summer so I could pick it up then. :D

imback
10-12-2003, 11:31
I love the fact everyone is calling them "stupid Sony" for not letting R* release before xmas, they paid R* a massive amount of money to have the game exclusive to them until 2004, so it's a legal contract, I don't think MS would let Halo be made for PS2 a couple weeks before the licence run out would they? :D

Seen the GTA box set for the PS2 the other day, it looks nice, even though I have owned and completed both games, I'm getting it:D

Boom
10-12-2003, 12:10
I love the fact everyone is calling them "stupid Sony" for not letting R* release before xmas, they paid R* a massive amount of money to have the game exclusive to them until 2004, so it's a legal contract, I don't think MS would let Halo be made for PS2 a couple weeks before the licence run out would they? :D

Seen the GTA box set for the PS2 the other day, it looks nice, even though I have owned and completed both games, I'm getting it:D

tbh, I don't care. Too many new games this Crimbo already and I have played both games to death on PC/ps2. I suppose every now and then it's fun to get chased by SWAT, etc.

imback
10-12-2003, 13:42
tbh, I don't care. Too many new games this Crimbo already and I have played both games to death on PC/ps2. I suppose every now and then it's fun to get chased by SWAT, etc.

Know what you mean but I feel I missed a lot of Vice City since I was in a rush to finish it, and I love GTA3, so will be worth the cash for me, just to own them :D

Mantrid
31-12-2003, 17:21
Got it today from Gameplay - great fun and graphics are better than the PS2 version.

Jarandco
31-12-2003, 18:30
I got this on saturday its wicked! Just takes you away from live! :(

NEONKNIGHT
31-12-2003, 18:44
great fun and graphics are better than the PS2 version.

Agree. :smokin:

I got this on saturday its wicked! Just takes you away from live!

Yep! :cool:

:rudo:

Mantrid
01-01-2004, 18:57
I got this on saturday its wicked! Just takes you away from live! :(

Yeah and being a double pack it could take some time.

Ricky G
02-01-2004, 09:05
Mine came in time for the Bank Holiday. Although I'd already completed the missions from GTA3 I gave it another go and I have to say I was impressed with the improvements to the graphics and the controls.

I did however make the mistake of playing Vice city soon after and due to this terrible mistake I doubt I'll play GTA3, XBox live or indeed have a life after that experience. I opened the box at 9:30 New years day and was still there this morning at 00:30 (due to the xbox crashing and me not saving which put me back 2 hours!!!!)

Absolute cracking games at a cracking price. I have however found two flaws.

1) The back of the pack says the games support dolby digital. However I've found I can only play VC with 5.1 switched on. GTA 3 sounds terrible unless you leave it on Surround Sound otherwise you can't hear the voices or music very well, just the ambience.

2) Is it just me or has VC crashed on any one? Its happened to me 3 times now, all at crittical moments?

P.S Happy new year!

ic14
03-01-2004, 15:58
GTA Double pack is pretty damn good.

Only done some of the missions in GTA3 stuck on killing some chinese guy.

Graphics tbh arent that much more than what i have seen of the ps2 games, just higher res.

Tristan
03-01-2004, 17:55
Indeed, having seen the two literally side-by-side, there's not a massive difference in the graphics, just a slightly longer draw distance on the XBox.

Also, am I the only one who doesn't think the controls are ideal? I like using the trigger buttons for accelleration and braking, but it just feels awkward for the targetting.

Lastly, I haven't come across VC crashing, but I have noticed that some of the cutscenes are very jerky. Maybe I've jsut used a scratched DVD or something.

Still, two of the best games ever for a great price. Who can complain about that?

ic14
03-01-2004, 18:09
Also, am I the only one who doesn't think the controls are ideal? I like using the trigger buttons for accelleration and braking, but it just feels awkward for the targetting.
I dont mind using the left trigger to target, but the right trigger doesnt feel right for using the non gun weopons (baseball bat, fists)

Lastly, I haven't come across VC crashing, but I have noticed that some of the cutscenes are very jerky. Maybe I've jsut used a scratched DVD or something. The opening credits seemed a bit jerky on GTA 3 for me, but nothing else. (cept for the sound been quit and having to adjust the volume)

Ste Riley
04-01-2004, 19:29
2) Is it just me or has VC crashed on any one? Its happened to me 3 times now, all at crittical moments?

I've had Vice City crash on me 2 or 3 times now, its when I create a huge police chase usually and get wasted.

The screen then goes all white then gets stuck, then I have to turn off my Xbox, the best thing to do is save the game after every mission. I own about 5 or 6 properties now so I don't have to drive so far to do this.

Not played GTA3 yet, although it does look cool I've heard its not as good as Vice City, but I'm sure its definetly still worth playing later on.

NEONKNIGHT
05-01-2004, 12:45
Both games are excellent BUT my advice is to play GTA3 before Vice City.

:D

Boom
12-01-2004, 12:59
Having finished GTA:VC on ps2 and now Xbox, I have to say I prefer the Xbox analog sticks to the ps2 ones. I find FPS aiming a lot easier and got through some missions which I found hard on the ps2 a lot quicker on xbox (obviously having played it before helps but still).