PDA

View Full Version : DNS propogation

HandyMac
21-11-2004, 17:41
Anyone know how frequently the DNS is updated on NTL's DNS servers?

I'm assuming it's quite slow because I instigated a domain move yesterday, and all the indications are that the domain has been successfully transferred for some parts of the DNS world - I am receiving email (well okay, spam) on that domain again but if I attempt to connect to the domain it reckons it can't find the domain in the NTL winnersh DNS server, which is my local DNS.

It's early days for being worried about this 'cos I know that DNS propogation can take a couple of days or more, so there's plenty of time for it to come good, but from a curiousity point of view I'd like to know roughly what to expect of NTL's DNS servers (like do they only do updates once a day at 2am or something).

HM

Chris W
21-11-2004, 17:50
what is the url of the site in question? and would should the ip address be?

Paul
21-11-2004, 17:54
There seems to be a bit of a mis-conception with some people about how dns updates. All dns servers (including NTL's) update an entry when it is requested - if the TTL of the existing cache entry has expired (or it's not been previously cached). There is not set update time.

HandyMac
21-11-2004, 18:49
Doh! Sorry, got a dose of Homer Simpsons. I managed to put a double-dot in the domain name on the DNS control panel. Silly me. All working fine now.

HM