PDA

View Full Version : Curious. Full or Half Duplex?

Wallace
21-11-2004, 11:06
This may sound a stupid question but I have to ask it to satisfy my curiosity.
I have ntl: 750M broadband via a PACE 4000 series STB. connected to my PC via LinkSys NAT router. I have setup the connection for 100M Full Duplex. I don't have a problem.

However, I have read somewhere that it is better to connect at 10M Half Duplex. Out of curiosity I configured my network connection in WindowsXP Pro for 10M Half Duplex and did not find any difference in transfer speeds I.E.downloads etc.

Can someone just explain what the difference between the configurations is, and also which will be the more reliable in the future?

As an aside. I have noticed that when I am downloading utilising the whole bandwidth whilst watching TV the sound "crackles". I can tell when my D/L is finished when the "crackling" stops!!! Is this normal?

TheBlueRaja
21-11-2004, 11:19
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=18366&highlight=half-duplex

Lets not go there again... :D

Tezcatlipoca
21-11-2004, 14:45
This may sound a stupid question but I have to ask it to satisfy my curiosity.
I have ntl: 750M broadband via a PACE 4000 series STB. connected to my PC via LinkSys NAT router. I have setup the connection for 100M Full Duplex. I don't have a problem.

However, I have read somewhere that it is better to connect at 10M Half Duplex. Out of curiosity I configured my network connection in WindowsXP Pro for 10M Half Duplex and did not find any difference in transfer speeds I.E.downloads etc.

Can someone just explain what the difference between the configurations is, and also which will be the more reliable in the future?

As an aside. I have noticed that when I am downloading utilising the whole bandwidth whilst watching TV the sound "crackles". I can tell when my D/L is finished when the "crackling" stops!!! Is this normal?

As you're not connecting the PC's NIC directly to the BB connection (i.e. STB), but instead connecting it to a router, you should just leave the PC's NIC set either to auto or to 100 Full Duplex.

Duplex settings on the PC's NIC only need to be changed if it is direclty connected to the cable modem / STB & only if you have problems with it set to auto...some modems don't work well if you use auto or full duplex, others are fine. Also, the Pace STB should be fine with a full duplex connection.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/ethernet.html#ethernet

Wallace
22-11-2004, 08:47
Thank you for you replies...