PDA

View Full Version : Speed Issues - but only with some sites

Daniel H
20-11-2004, 01:00
Hi :confused:

Some sites I go including - www.ebay.co.uk and admin.oneandone.co.uk, and also this site, plus quite a few more just take ages to load, and really drag.

But then I go on other sites and they load like they all use to, lightening fast without any problems.

I've scanned my computer, done anti virus, scanned for spy ware, and everything is ok, so can't understand why some sites take literally minutes to load.

I've done a speed test and all came out around 300k so that can't be the problem.

Any help would be great

THANKS

:)

carlingman
20-11-2004, 01:44
Hi Daniel,

Have you tried changing your proxy to see if that makes any difference.

Take a look here (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=8783)

Try that and see if it improves if not post back with some more system specs and how you are connecting ethernet or usb and set top box or stand alone cable modem etc.

:D

Daniel H
20-11-2004, 02:30
Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I've just tried changing both the DNS and Proxy, seperatly and then together, but no better :(

Its quite a new pc, only about a month old.

HP Media Centre with 512mb ram and a double hyperthred thing!!

It's weird really, only up in till a few days ago all sites would load quite fast, and now as I say some sites loading like a snail.

I scanned disk as well as defragment, and also tried clearing history, temp files and cookies.

Still no different.

Using ethernet from set top box.

Neil
20-11-2004, 08:25
Have you spoken to ntl Tech Support Daniel?

djnauk
21-11-2004, 21:08
I've noticed the same things my end.

But it seams restricted to certian servers. The main one I can think of is with the Dell website. I can browse the main website fine, but as soon as I click on Configure and access configure.euro.dell.com I don't get anything. Firefox can be sitting there for two hours and still be waiting for information! :(

Today I've been browsing the Apple website - apple.com is fine, but apple.com/uk is a no-go! Rackservers.com is a waste of time, but http://www.rackservers.com/configurator.asp will load the header and footer frames instantly, and I'll be stuck their waiting for main content.

Google, BBC, Dilbert, Gentoo, Suprnova.org, Demoniod, PC Pro, Amazon are all fine though. I've tried with and without proxy servers.

What sites are you having trouble with - is it the same ones as me?