PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Poor Performance - Luton

mIPS
19-11-2004, 19:20
I am experiencing extremely poor performace on my 1.5mbps connection. I run a speed test and my speed came up as 105kbps!!!... I have tried to contact Tech Support and all I get is someone stating that there are problems with their system that might stop them from diagnosing the problem and then I get an engaged tone... Great... :td:

Is anyone else having these issues in around Luton???...

My connection has been fine up till now, I hope this doesn't become more regular!... :(

paulyoung666
19-11-2004, 19:22
is it thru a stb or sacm ?????? , are you absoloutely sure nothing is running in the background :angel:

jambolino
19-11-2004, 19:36
I am near Luton, Had a bad performance problem early this year (512K) now 750K, it was fine in the day, but as soon as evening came and obviously more people used their computers the performance was really bad, took ages to sort, turned out in the end to be something to do with the 'contention ratio' after a lot of agro it got sorted! hope this helps.

mIPS
19-11-2004, 20:37
I am near Luton, Had a bad performance problem early this year (512K) now 750K, it was fine in the day, but as soon as evening came and obviously more people used their computers the performance was really bad, took ages to sort, turned out in the end to be something to do with the 'contention ratio' after a lot of agro it got sorted! hope this helps.
Conention hasn't been an issue up until now... I would expect some contention anyway... But going from 185kbps to 13kbps, would say there is something more serious then contention...

As for processes running in the background, I have checked these and also checked for network utilisation and both are fine. Maybe an oversubscribed UBR?... I hope not, otherwise I will be looking elsewhere for broadband... :(

paulyoung666
19-11-2004, 20:46
Conention hasn't been an issue up until now... I would expect some contention anyway... But going from 185kbps to 13kbps, would say there is something more serious then contention...

As for processes running in the background, I have checked these and also checked for network utilisation and both are fine. Maybe an oversubscribed UBR?... I hope not, otherwise I will be looking elsewhere for broadband... :(

which is why i am wondering if you have been downgraded to the 150k tier :erm:

jambolino
19-11-2004, 21:12
Do you have wireless network? is possible that you have been hacked and someone is using your bandwidth??

mIPS
19-11-2004, 21:26
Do you have wireless network? is possible that you have been hacked and someone is using your bandwidth??Wireless access has been restricted to devices that have been specified by me... Thanks for you input however...

It does look like things have returned to normal... I noticed this when my SACM rebooted itself... So maybe paulyoung666 was right... They may have temporarily (for whatever reason downgraded me) and now the config has returned to normal.

Strange..... :confused: