PDA

View Full Version : Utter Despair

blackdog
19-11-2004, 08:27
Hi guys. I got NTL home installed on Tuesday, the 750K service. The Engineer left me to register myself saying i shouldn't have any problems, i though that was strange and that he should have waited till i was up and running before leaving. Turns out i couldn't register because the server was down. Now i know why he left early.

So, after several attempts on Thursday, i managed to register and got a username. I registered using the CD and Ethernet connection on the NTL Home 200 modem. All went swimmingly until the last test, the TCP/IP server checks. The software asked for a reboot and i duly did so, it kicked back in after the reboot and failed the test, i tried it several more times and then called tech support.

The guy on Tech support said to try re-registering using the website technique, it came back saying i was already registered, so i tried the re-install part on the website, it went fine right up to the end where it says "You have registered sucessfully and should be able to use the internet, please click here for help in setting up your e-mail account" The link did not work, no links work, i cannot surf.

So in essence. I am on the network, i can ping web sites, i can resolve DNS to IP, i am picking up an 82.x.x.x IP address from the DHCP server, i can release and renew without error but i can't use the Internet. So, i decided that instead of waiting another 45m minutes to speak to tech support i would try a re-install of windows, just to be sure the problem wasn't software on my end.

I did a complete re-install, no firewall, no anti-virus, just windows and service pack 2 (firewall disabled) Still nothing, same problem. Next step is to replace the NIC card. Even though i'm pretty damn sure it's OK.

So, that's where i am. Any ideas?

I'm running XP-pro, Athlon 2600XP, 1GB RAM, Asuan a7n8x-e mobo, onboard NIC.

I'm in the G69 area of Glasgow.

Bill C
19-11-2004, 08:40
Snip
Download and run this (http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html) It works for me when i have had to deal with this problem in the past.

Gogogo
19-11-2004, 09:08
There was a problem with registration yesterday and before which has supposedly been fixed. NTL installers do just that, set up the stb or cable modem the rest is your job. Perhaps he should known there have been ongoing problems and advised you accordingly that there are problems registering.

Mind you don't get too excited we still can't access e-mail for over a week now, and can't access our account, hopefully NTL staff will sort all these ongoing problems out.

;)

paulyoung666
19-11-2004, 09:10
hi and :welcome: to the site blackdog , 1 thing be very wary about running xp without a firewall enabled !!!!!!!!!! :erm: :)

nostra
19-11-2004, 09:32
hi there, what are the last 3 digits of the ip address that you have been given?

eg 81.155.177. > 253 <

stupid question but have you tried rebooting the modem (turning it off and on)

blackdog
19-11-2004, 09:38
My machine is free from spyware, it's a fresh install, brand new, i've never surfed with it.

The last octet of my IP address is 250, itried a release and renew and it picks up the same address.

I've tried "refreshing" the modem, several times, rebooting the PC also.

I know about the dangers of running without a firewall but i though i'd try this to rule it out.

Tis a right royal pain in the aris.

nostra
19-11-2004, 09:47
in which case this is an ntl problem and nothing to do with your pc...

ip's which range from .248 - .253 are pre-registration

anything outside this range is a registered ip address

turn the modem off the pc off and both back on

if you are still picking up an ip address in this range contact technical support

a) ask them to check you mac address on the system is correct
b) get them to check you are registered to the correct dhcp
c) if above 2 correct ask them to remove and re-add the cable modem back on

this should solve the problem for you :D

no amount of working on the pc is going to do anything for you

you can prove your pc is ok by going to https://autoreg.autoregister.net ... bet it displays for you ;)

Paul
19-11-2004, 09:50
I'm curious - where are you posting from at the moment ?

blackdog
19-11-2004, 09:55

if you are still picking up an ip address in this range contact technical support

you can prove your pc is ok by going to https://autoreg.autoregister.net (https://autoreg.autoregister.net/) ... bet it displays for you ;)
Good advice there. Many thanks.

I'm posting from my work.;)

threadbare
19-11-2004, 12:39
Good advice there. Many thanks.

I'm posting from my work.;)your modem will remain pre reg until the backlog of registrations is clear.

as pointed out above a reboot should resolve by now and you should have a "registered IP"

noraahog
21-11-2004, 22:51
hmmm I have the same problem here in glasgow.... its been 3 days since i registered and I still can't get a registered ip address.... anyone else has the same problem? has it been resolved?

Marge
21-11-2004, 23:17
hmmm I have the same problem here in glasgow.... its been 3 days since i registered and I still can't get a registered ip address.... anyone else has the same problem? has it been resolved?

So far as I know everyone who needs to should be able to get registered and then up and running

Chris W
21-11-2004, 23:56

you need to contact technical support so they can resolve this one for you- 0845 650 0121

if they are unable to fix it immediately they will enter the details into a "hotpot" and it will be resolved as soon as possible :)

erik99
24-11-2004, 14:25
i moved house last week. ntl got installed in the new place on thursday, and i went to 80.5.178.26/cgi/housemove to register it. it woudn't register

called ntl cust support on friday, they told me there was a problem with my PIN code, so they gave me a new one then told me they had registered the modem for me. internet still didnt work, but when i went through 80.5.178.26 it was saying that the modem was now registered.

just called bb support to explain it still wasnt working (had tried mon/tue but the bb support wasnt taking calls/was closed). they gave me another PIN number. i told the guy that it says on the webpage that the modem with my mac address IS registered, but he said it wasnt showing as registered on his side. im at work now so wont know until tonight if the new PIN works. i dont think it will work

what is the problem here? how do i get these people to investigate properly and fix this problem?

been waiting 6 days on registration.

erik99
25-11-2004, 10:56
didnt work. called ntl bb support this morning. its a 2hour wait on hold to get through to them at night.

someone with a thick asian accent told me i had to be at the pc to investigate this. 'its worth a try' i was told. didnt matter that i asked that the modem be removed and readded, didnt matter that its not a local problem.

now going to call the supervisor of the engineer who installed the bb see if that gets me anywhere.

EDIT
--------
told me to write to ntl. think its about time to move to an area that ntl dont cover and get out of their contract

Russ
25-11-2004, 10:59
Can any of the ntl peeps here pick this one up?

Marge
25-11-2004, 10:59
didnt work. called ntl bb support this morning. its a 2hour wait on hold to get through to them at night.

someone with a thick asian accent told me i had to be at the pc to investigate this. 'its worth a try' i was told. didnt matter that i asked that the modem be removed and readded, didnt matter that its not a local problem.

now going to call the supervisor of the engineer who installed the bb see if that gets me anywhere.

He won't be able to do anything really sorry but do you want to PM me your details and I'll have a look later for you.

erik99
25-11-2004, 12:07
He won't be able to do anything really sorry but do you want to PM me your details and I'll have a look later for you.
ok thanks, im at my wits end with this stuff

Richard M
25-11-2004, 14:46

you can prove your pc is ok by going to https://autoreg.autoregister.net ... bet it displays for you ;)

One of my mates is having this same problem today in the Cardiff area.

erik99
26-11-2004, 11:34
proved last night that it wasnt my 'setup' by putting a borrowed modem on the line- worked fine.

called ntl bb support line back today and got the same asian accent. explained the test i conducted to him 3 times. 3rd time it sunk in that it would not be necessary for me to be sitting in front of the computer and he then referred me to 2nd line support.

2nd line support said the problem was that the previous address i had been at was deleted from the system, and he would remove and readd the modem to the account.

all being well i can attempt to register the modem tonight again

Neil
26-11-2004, 12:00
all being well i can attempt to register the modem tonight again

Good luck, looks like there are still registration issues.....

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=348776&postcount=4

erik99
26-11-2004, 19:21
works now, i mean the blockage to the registration was removed when ntl removed then readded the modem.

was then able to register the modem.

thank you for the help, and also to Debsy42 who helped in pm. i will call here first in future

homealone
26-11-2004, 19:27
works now, i mean the blockage to the registration was removed when ntl removed then readded the modem.

was then able to register the modem.

thank you for the help, and also to Debsy42 who helped in pm. i will call here first in future

great news - thanks for posting back with the update, it is always appreciated - and yes, Debsy is a star isn't she :tu:

Russ
26-11-2004, 19:32
Yay Debsy!!! :D

erik99
27-11-2004, 01:34
spoke too soon, my modem is being awarded ntlhm100-bronze.cm instead of the gold. will call them on monday :/

Marge
27-11-2004, 01:43
spoke too soon, my modem is being awarded ntlhm100-bronze.cm instead of the gold. will call them on monday :/

that might have been me :erm: whoops, sorry !!!!!

erik99
29-11-2004, 14:35
that might have been me :erm: whoops, sorry !!!!!
ok but does that mean you can change it back or do i have to call to get it changed?

erik99
02-12-2004, 10:02
got around to calling customer support 0800 number to get it changed back to gold. mentioned that id been paying for gold, was told i would need to talk to BB support about not being charged for the 8 days it didnt work.

currently on the phone with broadband email support to try to get the email accounts that i was using migrated back into service. currently theyre marked as unusable

it was explained what ntl staff did; they disconnected the account when i moved instead of treating it as a house move.

edit
====
BB email guy said to talk to 0800 staff again about the charging for the 8 days it didnt work