PDA

View Full Version : Mis-selling of services

bungee69
18-11-2004, 11:33
As a telewest customer on a 321 phone/tv package/dialup package, I received a phone call from telewest offering to save me money, I was interested in BBand and an all calls inclusive phone package as I am now a Student & wife home with child allday & reducing TV channels. I was offered basic TV, 256K BB & all calls (except Mobile -50% discount & premium etc) for £39.49 and free BB install and 1st month BB free. Salesman said"......that is all you will pay telewest each month apart from mobile, 0845, 0345, premium & intnational calls" as my bills are now £45-£50 pmnth this sounded a good deal. Broadband installed, TV channels reduced, all call tariff implemented all ok.

Online e-bill received and they hadn't told me about the £10 line rental I would continue to pay, queried this last friday & told that they do not offer my package for £39.49 but that email be sent to salesman & his supervisor. Chased this up yesterday & told same again (after explaining problem again), got unlimited calls removed and waiting for resolution.

I have not signed any contracts (although does letting them install BB class as acceptance), can they be made to let me have my package for £39.49 or am I within my rights to withdraw from my contract for all services as it is not what was agreed/offered in the phone call.

Also if I go to BT both as a matter of principal & their basic phone tarrif seems a better deal than Telewest anyway & I'm not bothered about a TV package, what would my best option for BB be (I don't download zillions of files).

Neil
18-11-2004, 12:09
Hi & :welcome: to the site. :)

When did this phone call take place?
(Distance selling laws & cooling off periods may apply)

bungee69
18-11-2004, 12:28
Neil thanks for prompt input, I don't have my diary with me, possible was Friday 22nd Oct, BB was installed on the following Tuesday I think. It might be too late for the cooling off period (7-14 days???), I suppose the big issue is what they told me the cost of the service would be (& what I agreed too) and what it actually is (I didn't find this out until last friday)

STONEISLAND
18-11-2004, 12:55
All the calls are recorded as far as verbal agreements are concerned if not than its not an agreement.

See if you can get the company to trace the call if you believe you where missold.

Earl of Bronze
19-11-2004, 13:08
I would also recomment contacting Oftel as well. Its always a good idea to find out the legal and or statuatory side of things as well. When I worked for ntl as an installer, I had to advise a fair few customers to Oftel in order to resolve mis-sale issues, or billing issues.

bungee69
30-11-2004, 17:24
Thanks all for your comments, wrote a letter to the chief executive, got response on day they received letter and have got what they offered me for the price they stated, for 12 months (then either party free to renegotiate/cancel). Would advise all if complaining to any org and no immediate satisfaction, to write straight to the top (best to put the name of chief exec or similar)

Paul
30-11-2004, 17:27
Nice to see you got a positive response.

Neil
01-12-2004, 12:45
Thanks all for your comments, wrote a letter to the chief executive, got response on day they received letter and have got what they offered me for the price they stated, for 12 months (then either party free to renegotiate/cancel). Would advise all if complaining to any org and no immediate satisfaction, to write straight to the top (best to put the name of chief exec or similar)

Who did you write to at TW?

Care to share their name/contact details so that we can add them to our knowledgebase for other people to refer to in the future?