PDA

View Full Version : Le Beaujolais Nouveau est arrivÃÃ*’©!

gary_580
17-11-2004, 20:51
Available tomorrow i guess tonight in some Tescos. Waitrose will be stocking Georges Duboeuf if previous years are anything to go by.

Georges Duboeuf says that the 2004 wine is full of charm and characterâ₠¬â€a quintessential Primeur.

Interesting quote here for people that only like white wine and i must say i very much agree with it

"Beaujolais Nouveau is about as close to white wine as red wine can get. It makes a great transitional wine for anyone wanting to move from white to red wines."

http://www.intowine.com/beaujolais2.html

10 interesting facts too

http://www.intowine.com/beaujolaisnouveaufacts.html

Chimaera
17-11-2004, 21:00
Oooooh thank you - now I might just have to go there and try some! :drunk:
(Tesco's that is! :D)

homealone
17-11-2004, 21:00
nice one - and I thought I kept falling over because I had a Gamay leg ;)

sir_drinks_alot
17-11-2004, 21:03
oh i may just get some of that sounds yummy :) :tu:

cookie_365
17-11-2004, 21:08
"Beaujolais Nouveau is about as close to white wine as red wine can get. It makes a great transitional wine for anyone wanting to move from white to red wines."

I can't think of any phrase more likely to put me off trying it .... !
:sick:

Shaun
17-11-2004, 21:28
I bet our little Salisbury's won't have any, always wanted to try it. :(

iadom
17-11-2004, 21:53
I bet our little Salisbury's won't have any, always wanted to try it. :(just ask yourself why most of it is shipped abroad, its pap.

andygrif
17-11-2004, 21:55
Also being the first of the season usually means the best grapes are not used - like iadom says it's pap!! Wait for a later Beaujolais if you like wine.

gary_580
17-11-2004, 22:16
Also being the first of the season usually means the best grapes are not used - like iadom says it's pap!! Wait for a later Beaujolais if you like wine.

apparently from that quote you dont know what your talking about. Nouveau is only produced from a small area the remainder of the beaujolais region are not allowed to produce it. Beaujolais is always light and fruity and it doesnt improve with are either due to the Gamay grape not having any structure. Must admit of all the Beaujolais i prefer the Brouilly but the Nouveau does give an indication what its going to be like

gary_580
17-11-2004, 22:17
Oooooh thank you - now I might just have to go there and try some! :drunk:
(Tesco's that is! :D)

Tried the Tesco version a few years back and wasnt impressed compared to the Duboeuf.

Halcyon
17-11-2004, 22:31
A good wine with a lovely meal is wonderful.

iadom
17-11-2004, 23:10
A good wine with a lovely meal is wonderful.Just make sure it is not Beaujolais Nouveau. I don't care how it is produced or which area it comes from. It is basically a marketing exercise, most of it tastes like Lambrusco without the bubbles. You would be better of with a glass of Vimto.

andygrif
17-11-2004, 23:26
apparently from that quote you dont know what your talking about. Nouveau is only produced from a small area the remainder of the beaujolais region are not allowed to produce it. Beaujolais is always light and fruity and it doesnt improve with are either due to the Gamay grape not having any structure. Must admit of all the Beaujolais i prefer the Brouilly but the Nouveau does give an indication what its going to be like

I think there's going to be a difference of opinion here:

As you know the word nouveau means new - historically the villages around the Beaujolais region would celebrate the coming of the new season's wine - hence the name.

Actually nouveau is an incorrect description, as it has not been allowed to rest for long enough to be classed as a nouveau - hence the description pap!

I'm quite partial to a Brouilly too, but where comparing two very different drinks.

Nikko
17-11-2004, 23:47
nice one - and I thought I kept falling over because I had a Gamay leg ;)

Perhaps the Beaune needs attention? We could Cordon off the area?

Halcyon
18-11-2004, 00:27
Just make sure it is not Beaujolais Nouveau.
Do not fear. I know what to go for.
In fact I actually go and get my wine at a local place I go to in France. We know the person and he generally gives us a freebie or so extra which is nice.
So much cheaper than the prices in the UK.

gary_580
18-11-2004, 19:26
Do not fear. I know what to go for.
In fact I actually go and get my wine at a local place I go to in France. We know the person and he generally gives us a freebie or so extra which is nice.
So much cheaper than the prices in the UK.

We often go down to St Emilion, there are some great wines there and pomerols not too far either.

Anyway C'est Bon its not too bad this year, a lot of Strawberry taste.

iadom
18-11-2004, 20:00
In fact I actually go and get my wine at a local place I go to in France. We know the person and he generally gives us a freebie
you can't beat the old, "degustation libre" :)

snodvan
18-11-2004, 20:09
Just make sure it is not Beaujolais Nouveau. I don't care how it is produced or which area it comes from. It is basically a marketing exercise, most of it tastes like Lambrusco without the bubbles. You would be better of with a glass of Vimto.

Quite agree- and the damned stuff is FRENCH. Do not drink it for that reason alone. Prefer South African wine anyway. OK, they do not have the range but it is a lot more consistent in quality.

gary_580
18-11-2004, 20:11
you can't beat the old, "degustation libre" :)

Especially when im not driving ;)

iadom
18-11-2004, 20:33
Quite agree- and the damned stuff is FRENCH. Do not drink it for that reason alone. Prefer South African wine anyway. OK, they do not have the range but it is a lot more consistent in quality.I like all types of wines although I do find some SA wines rather strong tasting, a few years ago I did feel that the overall quality of French wines was not what it used to be, however in recent times it has improved out of all recognition. I suspect that is in no small way down to the number of Australians helping them to achieve higher production standards.

Gareth
18-11-2004, 20:51
Quite agree- and the damned stuff is FRENCH. Do not drink it for that reason alone. Prefer South African wine anyway. OK, they do not have the range but it is a lot more consistent in quality.Erm, I beg to differ.

Actually, the French wine (along with German, Italian, etc...) is more strictly controlled than South Africa, Australia, Argentina, etc... The French appelation laws strictly control the various substances that can be used in the production of all wines - some wines are more strictly controlled than others, but all French vineyards have to adhere to be able to sell their alcohol. These laws do not exist in other countries (I believe USA is the exception outside Europe, but don't quote me on that) so the producers are free to use materials that make their wines more pallatable and more 'consistent'.

It's just a shame that I can't stand the stuff - especially as I lived in different parts of France for several years. It drives my French in-laws potty as well, but I'd much prefer a nice pint of stout than a glass of poncy wine.

Oh, and if you ever have the chance, you should really celebrate the night of the arrival of Beaujolais Nouveau in Paris - it's the one time of the year when Parisians are nice to each other. It makes for a great atmosphere :)

gary_580
18-11-2004, 21:21
a few years ago I did feel that the overall quality of French wines was not what it used to be, however in recent times it has improved out of all recognition.

totally agree with that, 10 years ago it was awful but since about 97 it has improved a lot due to having too with the competition.

gary_580
18-11-2004, 21:22
Oh, and if you ever have the chance, you should really celebrate the night of the arrival of Beaujolais Nouveau in Paris - it's the one time of the year when Parisians are nice to each other. It makes for a great atmosphere :)

i did that last year and it was GREAT! from the small bits i can remember

Wicked_and_Crazy
15-11-2005, 09:43
Its that day again on Tursday

Halcyon
15-11-2005, 12:07
Nice !!! Wine is good for you.

Shaun
15-11-2005, 13:00
If only I could find some to buy. :(

DocDutch
15-11-2005, 13:02
oww what I luck that I'm going to france this weekend :) :) :)

Wicked_and_Crazy
15-11-2005, 13:04
If only I could find some to buy. :(

Not available until Thursday, but all the big supermarkets sell it

Shaun
15-11-2005, 13:25
Not the ones around here, Salisbury's had never heard of it last year and Safeway couldn't help.

Odd bins also had none.

Wicked_and_Crazy
15-11-2005, 13:29
Not the ones around here, Salisbury's had never heard of it last year and Safeway couldn't help.

Odd bins also had none.

I know Tesco and Waitrose sell it. I was sure Sainsburys do too

Wicked_and_Crazy
17-11-2005, 13:45
Todays the day

Theodoric
18-11-2005, 20:36
Back in the 70s there used to be an annual race to bring it back to England.

Wicked_and_Crazy
18-11-2005, 20:37
yeah, now its on the shelves in Tescos just past midnight

danielf
18-11-2005, 21:43
Is it any good then (this year)?

Wicked_and_Crazy
18-11-2005, 21:47
dunno, er indoors forgot to get some, will get some tomorrow

last years was awful

Shaun
19-11-2005, 00:20
I know Tesco and Waitrose sell it. I was sure Sainsburys do too
Wonder if Morrisons will have any this year?

Cant even see it at Tesco.com :(