PDA

View Full Version : Disconnection Problem

nially
16-11-2004, 18:36
I have been an ntl customer since December 2001, and am on the 750k service with a set-top box (no tv deal). Since day one I have encountered a problem by which my broadband seems to disconnect itself from the internet at random intervals.

I am a relatively heavy user, I might download 1gb a week, and usually my family might use the internet for around 2-4 hours a day. Although I personally don't believe this is excessive, especially with the amount I pay, and the nature of Boradband.

Usually if I leave a download running, after an hour or so (sooner on some days) the connection will stop and I will lose all internet. I fix this by restarting the set top box and repairing the connection through the my network connection > local are connection > repair connection button.

I have contacted NTL , and they do not give me any kind of straight answer, instead telling me my ping is all over the place, which somehow magically leads my connection to go down. Conveniently disregarding the fact that it is probably them disconnecting me out of their choice.

I would just like to know if this is a common occurance, or if NTL are doing it deliberatly, or if it is a NIC problem.

Like many of the rest of you it would seem, I am seriously looking to a DSL serive which will not disconnect me (the reason I moved away from 56k and BTOW) and will not cap my daily limit (as NTL are meant to be soon, it would seem.)

Many thanks.

Edit - This often occurs within 15 minutes of opening Kazaa, can NTL tell what ports it is using ?

GazzaB
16-11-2004, 19:07
Hi Nially,
Firstly welcome to the site! :welcome:

We might need a bit more information before we can help you in detail. E.g Which operating system are you using and are you using NIC rather than a USB adaptor?
I will start with the basics and I'm sure others will be along to help soon!
Firstly I would check for spyware and or viruses on the machine, if your pings are all over the place make sure Kazzaa is not set to use all your bandwith or it may cause your upstream to saturate and make your connection drop (This seems to happen more with set-top box broadband than standalone users.) The settings are under options in Kazaa, try and set it as low as possible.

There is lots more advise at Robin Walkers site
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/index.html

Ntl will not be deliberately cutting you off I'm pretty sure of this!

Gary

nially
16-11-2004, 19:41
Cheers for the welcome Gazza, much appreciated mate.

I'm on XP Pro, and I connect via cross-over ethernet and a Realtek RTL8139 PCI NIC card. I probably should check for the latest drivers.

I have scanned for spyware, so I'm fairly sure its not that, though I will check again.

If its any help, when my inet does go haywire, when I restart the box I get the "LAN Cable unplugged" message (or words to the effect) pop up from the taskbar, and the 169. Ip does appear somewhere in that Network connections box.

Once again many thanks.

Neil
16-11-2004, 20:18
As Gazza says-you are probably maxing out your upload.

Follow the link to Robin's site, & follow the advice there, I'm sure that will sort you out.

:welcome: from me too! :D

[Edit]-A couple of direct links for you.....

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/p2p.html#kazaa

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/p2p.html#p2p

nially
16-11-2004, 20:36
Guys, thanks a lot for the help, I'll definitely try it out, cheers for the welcome, you'll see me around here :D

nially
16-11-2004, 20:43
Guys, thanks a lot for the help, I'll definitely try it out, although my connection just went down again. I was uploading to bit torrent at about 6 Kib/s.

I'm going to check for the latest drivers for the NIc card.