PDA

View Full Version : Easyjet - Fantasy vs reality

Theodoric
15-11-2004, 19:19
I watched with some amusement the new Easyjet TV ad which suggested (I think) that they care about their passengers. As an avid watcher of ITV's Airport, I am well aware that the Easyjet airport staff have hearts of stone, live by the rulebook and couldn't care less about customer service. Now, to be honest, I actually side with Easyjet on this. If you pay for a no-frills service, then that's exactly what you'll get - no frills, and you can't complain when you find that the frills are missing. If you expect otherwise, then you're living in a fool's paradise. Perhaps Easyjet would be better off advertising exactly the service that they provide; at least no one would be under any false illusions.

Paul
15-11-2004, 19:23
Having watched Airport, I can safely say I would never use easyjet.

Theodoric
15-11-2004, 19:25
I have used them to fly to Spain, but I am under no illusions whatsoever about what will happen if I turn up a few seconds too late. It's a chance I'm prepared to take. Of course I would be extremely unhappy, but completely unsurprised if it happened to me.

Tezcatlipoca
15-11-2004, 19:39

Heh. Having used Easyjet, I can safely say that I would never use them again

TigaSefi
15-11-2004, 20:38
The TV show is dead funny.... but I'll still fly 1st Class Virgin thanks :p: .

Ramrod
15-11-2004, 20:43
Heh. Having used Easyjet, I can safely say that I would never use them againThats exactly what I was going to say :D

Theodoric
15-11-2004, 20:48
What would be interesting is Easyjet's view as to whether or not it was a good idea to let the cameras in. I know that they say that all publicity is good publicity, but even so . . . I'm sure that Easyjet is a fairly well known name, so is further bringing of their name to the public's attention worth the, I'm sure now widespread, view that they show an unbending adherence to their rule book and a minimalist approach to customer care.

SMHarman
15-11-2004, 21:05
Well being as the two are non competing products (one's long haul, the other short haul) i'm sure you will sir.

Anyway its Upper Class (enhanced Business Class), not first class.

I've flow easyjet and apart from an appauling checkin computer breakdown on the outbound flight it was pleasant enough for a trip to Belfast (then onto Eneskillin) costing about £40 each. I would use them again. Certainly more convinient than getting to LHR or LGW.

gazzae
15-11-2004, 21:09
I have flown with easyjet a lot with work and haven't had any problems with them.
I look at it as a bus in the sky, I don't expect wonderfull customer service and I know if I am late I will miss the flight. But with flights from Belfast to Bristol for £2.50 + tax I'm prefectly happy with that!

Tricky
15-11-2004, 22:05
Easyjet are fine - You get what you pay for... I've used them on a number of occasions - Even at their expense (long story!)

The TV programme is aimed at viewers, what you don't see is the 100's of people each day they do check in without a problem - The programme wants to see the people upset and arguing which is why we all watch it.

Most airlines will refuse to take passengers that turn up late, excuse or not you should not be getting on the plane - If the gate is closed it's closed for a reason, which is to allow the plane to leave on time (after the baggage is sorted, right amount of fuel ordered and everything else).

I travel frequently with BMI and really do push the limits of late check in with them (arriving at airport 20 mins before takeoff), but if they turn round and said "sorry, we're closed" then I'd eat my humble pie and catch the next one.

All airlines are about providing customer service - let's just say some airlines are better at it and this usually comes down to cost. If I've paid £800 for a upper class seat then I expect smiles etc. if I've paid £9.99 +tax then chuck me in with the chickens we're riding roughshot.

You choose your airline based on price (usually first) and then availability (2nd) and then probably convenience (how many airlines fly into Bristol - Not many!)

I can say I would travel easyjet, but given a choice I'd go with another airline but Easyjet everytime compared with the charter type holiday flights - They are the real bargin cattle carts.

idi banashapan
15-11-2004, 22:08
My friend is in that ad. she's the easyjet girl in the shopping mall. there - my input is complete.....

Theodoric
15-11-2004, 22:09
<Snip>
The TV programme is aimed at viewers, what you don't see is the 100's of people each day they do check in without a problem - The programme wants to see the people upset and arguing which is why we all watch it.
<Snip>
Which is why I wondered whether Easyjet were regretting getting involved with the programme. I don't think that it's done them any favours.

TigaSefi
15-11-2004, 23:15
my tongue was firmly in my cheek...

Halcyon
15-11-2004, 23:48
Most of these airlines only fly local europeon flights so whats wrong with them really ?
As a student I am using Ryan Air as they are cheap and get me to where I want to go. OK, I won't get all the frills of a meal or whatever else and a TV in the back of my seat, but for a short hop over to a european country, I think I can cope.

andygrif
16-11-2004, 01:02
I have flown with easyjet a lot with work and haven't had any problems with them.
I look at it as a bus in the sky, I don't expect wonderfull customer service and I know if I am late I will miss the flight.

I think you see the point of the no-frills service, and agree completely. I've flown EasyJet a fair bit as I live about 15 mins from Luton Airport and fly to Holland quite a bit on business (no jokes please, I've them all).

The bus in the sky concept is quite correct. You're not going to get someone offering you compensation if the Number 27 to St Albans is 20 minutes late and you won't get anything if your EasyJet flight is 20 minutes late either.

Likewise if you're ten minutes late for the bus (the one that's on time I mean) then you've missed your bus. Too bad.

As someone mentioned before, ALL airlines close their gates, many a lot longer than 30 minutes before the flight takes off. In my experience of Luton Airport it can take nearly that to clear baggage x-ray alone, and the plane is supposed to be fully ready to go 10 minutes prior to departure time.

With EasyJet you get what you pay for. I don't like them, I'm not a fan - but I don't like busses or trains either and I use them too. And when you think that I can get a flight to Amsterdam for less than the price of a peak ticket to London (all of 35 miles) on the train I think you're getting a good deal.

All airlines are about providing customer service - let's just say some airlines are better at it and this usually comes down to cost. If I've paid £800 for a upper class seat then I expect smiles etc. if I've paid £9.99 +tax then chuck me in with the chickens we're riding roughshot.

Don't fly BA then! I've flown Business Class (or whatever they call this these days) long-haul several times - always the same miserable staff, crappy conjealed food, lousy in-flight entertainment and that costs double the 800 quid you're on about! Great flat beds and cute Molton Brown washbag though!

Likewise I've flown Emirates Business Class a few times (always chose the Boeing 777 if you can, not the old Airbuses, new one is great if you can find it) and they couldn't be more different. Great crew, fabulous five course meal that lasted almost as long as the flight, great IFE, better vanity pack too!

Most of these airlines only fly local europeon flights so whats wrong with them really ?
As a student I am using Ryan Air as they are cheap and get me to where I want to go. OK, I won't get all the frills of a meal or whatever else and a TV in the back of my seat, but for a short hop over to a european country, I think I can cope.

Quite right, I couldn't stand to fly EasyJet for anything over 2 hours really - and that's the reason the host of long-haul no-frills airlines that were promised never materialised.

The one thing I think that EasyJet have over RyanAir though is that you fly into main airports. I can't remember which Scandanavian airport it is that RyanAir fly to, but is really actualy in the next country!!