PDA

View Full Version : Online banking

Mike
13-11-2004, 16:09
Hi all

I am really fed up with my bank now..............call centre out of the uk, can not get through to my branch. Raised a recent query and no one got back to me and I spent an hour on the phone and was passed to six different numbers and ended back at the first number I called !!!

So it's time for a change..........fancied a go at online banking and would welcome any comments or recommendations..

Thanks

Mike

Paul
13-11-2004, 16:16
There is a topic on this somewhere already, i'll do a search in a min ...........

paulyoung666
13-11-2004, 16:22
royal bank of scotland does me fine , never had any problems with it :tu:

Paul
13-11-2004, 16:22
There are a number of comments and recommendations in the vote here ;

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=4648

Marge
13-11-2004, 16:25
royal bank of scotland does me fine , never had any problems with it :tu:

Me too, no problems at all, pay bills etc and have a joint account with my sister and can transfer money, can defo recommend :tu:

bonzoe
13-11-2004, 17:09
First Direct for me!

Raistlin
13-11-2004, 17:39
Online Banking with Abbey National.

No problems so far, site ok, all the transactions that you might need are there, you can download copies of your statements to import into money management software (quicken etc) and you can have multiple accounts (current, savings, credit card) all on one login.

Definately recommend it.

Steve H
13-11-2004, 17:41
HSBC online baking is class, never had a problem with it.

Statements can be downloaded, and you can still choose to recieve statements thought the post. Very nice interface, easy to find everything you want, and want to do :)

bigitup_j
13-11-2004, 21:00
don't touch Abbey, ever!!
everyone i know who has an abbey account has had problems with them!
not sending out cards, spelling names inncorrectly, sending you the wrong PIN, charging the tax on interest even though i don't pay tax, inability to explain things or tell you what to do!
abbey are bad (yet i still have the account :erm: )
:)

but, online banking with them i have no experience...and don't plan to! :cool:

swoop101
13-11-2004, 21:05
First Direct for me!

Ditto

Maggy
13-11-2004, 21:26
Nationwide.Excellent online banking with eSavinigs account so you get a slightly higher rate of interest on anything you put in your esavings and you can take it out whenever you need it provided you do it a night in advance.

Incog. :)

SMHarman
13-11-2004, 22:29
Ditto
Ditto

cookie_365
14-11-2004, 15:18
First Direct for me!
Not tried their online banking yet, but if it works like the rest of their set-up it'll be fantastically good. Best customer service I've ever had from any organisation, ever. Been with them for about 16 years and still waiting for them to make a mistake ... :) !

Aragorn
14-11-2004, 15:51
Been with First Direct for probably 15 years as well and excellent bank.

Been using FD online banking since it started and no problems. You can even get mini-statements txted to your mobile.

Stuart
14-11-2004, 16:03
don't touch Abbey, ever!!
everyone i know who has an abbey account has had problems with them!
not sending out cards, spelling names inncorrectly, sending you the wrong PIN, charging the tax on interest even though i don't pay tax, inability to explain things or tell you what to do!
abbey are bad (yet i still have the account :erm: )
:)

but, online banking with them i have no experience...and don't plan to! :cool:I've been with Abbey 20 years and have never had a single problem (apart from a build up of chequebooks when their system decided to issue a new book to me each time I wrote a cheque).

Unlike HSBC. When I had an account with them, I frequently had problems (things like payments going missing then appearing in the account over a week after they were payed in, and yes, I am taking into account the 3 working day clearance rule), and the fact that they recently misadvised me (I was forced to deal with them, I did not want to) and cost me £200 in the process.

Graham M
14-11-2004, 16:17
LloydsTSB are fantastic, yes if you phone them you get a call centre but at least it's in the UK and they're quick to answer and very friendly :D

Their Online banking service is absolutely superb, you can get a statement months into the past, send money to arbitrary bank accounts, pay bills, manage your direct debits and standing orders and modify your overdraft, i'm sure there's more!

:D

SMHarman
15-11-2004, 10:00
Not tried their online banking yet, but if it works like the rest of their set-up it'll be fantastically good. Best customer service I've ever had from any organisation, ever. Been with them for about 16 years and still waiting for them to make a mistake ... :) !
Online banking is good, also as you have two numeric client ID's before you get to your user id and password, and these are stored (as a cookie?) on your PC, phishing is difficult on thier account as you would be required to retype these numbers and being as you don't do this unless you've cleaned your cookies out you would notice somethings up.

allanprg
15-11-2004, 10:14
LloydsTSB are fantastic, yes if you phone them you get a call centre but at least it's in the UK and they're quick to answer and very friendly :D

Their Online banking service is absolutely superb, you can get a statement months into the past, send money to arbitrary bank accounts, pay bills, manage your direct debits and standing orders and modify your overdraft, i'm sure there's more!

:D

Yes I'm using LloydsTsb and I agree great online banking. I've never been to the bank in years and paid everything through online. No trouble with them either. :)

evilind
16-01-2005, 10:57
I know this is an old thread now but I have just been on lloydtsb's online banking site and got a message up saying that their site certificate was invalid! Did not log in and came out straight off! I think thats a bit strange. Think I will use Phonebank for now!!

Graham M
16-01-2005, 12:05
Nope dont get that message myself.

1) Sure you were visiting from the correct URL and that some phising exploit hadnt taken place

2) Try it again and note down the quality that the certificate apparently doesnt match.

evilind
16-01-2005, 12:26
Hello Zeph. I went in to it on the same website address as I always have done (nigh on 2 years at least).It does come up with the 'you are about to enter a secure website etc' so I click to continue and then the next window pops up saying basically 'info you exchange with this site cannot be viewd but there is a problem with the sites security certificate.It says the certificate has expired or is not yet valid'. So I went in to have a look and basically not sure what I should be looking for. I did notice however, that the certificate was only valid for 1 day i,e 06/09/04 to 07/09/04. Any ideas please? Computer has been a bit strange this week so maybe its me somehow! :)