PDA

View Full Version : Telewest upload

eshaq786
12-11-2004, 16:31
i applaud telewest for increasing their upload speed on their flagship 4mb product but to a lot of people 384l upload isnt enough and it certainly isnt enough for a 4mb product. 4mb will most likely be used for a home network of say about 4 computers
if speed was shared equally then each user would get 1mb/171k which is more than the 128k the 750/soon to be 1mb service has but its pretty low when u compare it to other countries. we need more and more upload. upload is the next place that isps can market their products at since there is an increasing number of people who need more upload. personally i need atleast 768k upload becasue i play halo multiplayer and thats how much i need to host a 16 player game but i cant since im on the 750k service which has 128k upload so i can only host a 4 player game. its gonna be even more pathetic with 1mb which is fantastic but 128k upload which is crap!

Bottom line is: WE WANT FASTER UPLOADS AND WE WANT IT YESTERDAY!

Tristan
12-11-2004, 16:36
Why do you want more upload?

The trouble is, the technology used for cable broadband is extremely asymmetric. It's not very difficult for a couple of people to completely wipe out all the upload bandwidth, and that's just at the current rates.

The bottom line is this: if you want fast download speeds, go for cable. If you want fast upload speeds, go for DSL.

eshaq786
12-11-2004, 16:41
i want faster upload speeds for hosting games and i cant go for dsl because i dont have a BT phone line. how do people in other countries get faster speed on cable? isps in this country should follow the path that other isp such as telia and BBB have done in sweden. If they dont then the dream of broadband britain will never happen.

Tristan
12-11-2004, 16:47
I'm willing to bet those ISPs in Sweden use fibre to the home, rather than DOCSIS-based cable services. A better comparison would be with cable services in the US, where it's quite common to see 8Mbit download speeds combined with only 128kb or 256kbit up.

Faster upload on cable will have to wait until NTL and Telewest upgrade us all to fibre (never!), or when everybody's converted to DOCSIS 2.0 (ask BBKing about that one...)

The thing is, upload is only important for a very small minority of people. It's only really hardcore P2Pers and people who want to host games who are after it, and the cablecos are quite happy to let them drift away to DSL.

eshaq786
12-11-2004, 16:55
when bulldog start upgrading exchanges and fully unblundling them then i will switch to them for a phone and broadband service so i can use the extra bandwidth. currently i am on the unlimited phone package and the 750k package which costs me 52 and i can get the same service from bulldog for 52 so it makes sense to switch but i gotta wait till they start unbundling the lines. here they are compared

telewest £52
phone: £27(ÃƒÆ ’ƒâ€šÃ‚£2 admin fee added) unlimited calls to uk landlines
broadband: £25 750k/128k

bulldog £52
phone: same as telewest
broadband: works out to be £25 although they dont sell it seperately

4mb/400k

ian@huth
12-11-2004, 17:12
Bottom line is: WE WANT FASTER UPLOADS AND WE WANT IT YESTERDAY!

There are ways that you can get faster uploads if you are willing to pay the price, but are you?

Neil
12-11-2004, 18:10
i want faster upload speeds for hosting games and i cant go for dsl because i dont have a BT phone line.

So get one. :shrug:

eshaq786
12-11-2004, 18:27
BT have crap phine lines and crap prices. they have the worst dsl network in the world too! i think i'll just wait till bulldog fully unbundle my exchange and get bulldog's phone and broadband deal....that is if telewest dont imrpove their services to match that of bulldogs.

ian@huth
12-11-2004, 18:48
BT have crap phine lines and crap prices. they have the worst dsl network in the world too! i think i'll just wait till bulldog fully unbundle my exchange and get bulldog's phone and broadband deal....that is if telewest dont imrpove their services to match that of bulldogs.

If you have a crap BT line it will still be crap with Bulldog, but how do you know they are crap if you haven't got one?

Why not go satellite? http://www.villageinternet.co.uk/compare.php or just

DeadKenny
12-11-2004, 19:28
BT have crap phine lines and crap prices. they have the worst dsl network in the world too!
Hmm, that explains why my ADSL connection is a million times better than my NTL connection ever was ;) (It's also currently cheaper).

scrotnig
12-11-2004, 20:20
The mistake all the heavy gamers and music downloaders ALWAYS make, is that they assume that EVERYONE uses as much bandwidth as they do, and consequently slag of all sorts of perfectly good ISPs for not being gaming and p2p centric.

The bottom line is that these users are a tiny, tiny minority, and the vast majority of users are not even remotely bothered about 30gb a month caps or upload speeds. I'd wager the most uploading most people do is a small amount of ftp access for a personal website, if that.

ISPs will always cater for the majority of their customer base. It's as simple as that. I am tired of reading how crap ntl is because it won't facilitate a few online gamers who want to use the service 24 hours a day while burning pirate CDs to sell at the car boot sale. If that's an unfair generalisation, then it's no more unfair than saying ntl is crap for not allowing 500gb per month transfer and 1mb upload speed.

ntl's speed increases coming next year make the product HIGHLY competitive, and far more so than the ADSL equivalents at this point in time. Quite frankly, if people think it's a poor deal, then go out and find an ISP that provides a better one. I'm sorry, but that's the way it is.

eshaq786
13-11-2004, 13:05
Point taken Mark B.

time will tell which isp will prevail if any at all. i cant wait till next year when all hell is gonna break loose in the broadband market.

should be fun!

Ignition
13-11-2004, 13:55
Check out http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk - note the plusnet and Bulldog forums especially as they are two ISPs mentioned here.

The grass is certainly not always greener. Plus are having some lovely arguments in their forums about download quotas, ever since someone realised they keep maxing out, adding 155Mbit, maxing out again within literally a few days, adding 155Mbit, maxing out.

When you have in their own figures less than 1000 users using 1.8 million quid a year's worth of capacity from BT alone, not including transit and all other costs not really that surprising a congestion free service isn't viable for them. Plusnet lottery as to whether you get congestion or not.

EDIT: On the other side of the coin I quite agree that more upload is required. To be honest 2Mbit with 256k is too asymettrical for my taste, however that's the standard that BT have set.

By 3Mbit IMHO upload should really be 384 at least. Though I'm going by Canada where even 1.5Mbit DSL comes with a 640k upload :)

EDIT AGAIN: Oh by the way, talking of Bulldog, they may put their own equipment in the exchanges, it's still BT's phone line connecting you to it ;)

eshaq786
14-11-2004, 01:46
Oh by the way, talking of Bulldog, they may put their own equipment in the exchanges, it's still BT's phone line connecting you to it
when bulldog start fully unbundling exchanges then they will be able to provide phone line too so it will take BT totally out of the equation and release britain from BT's strangle and enable us to enjoy broadband britain as its meant to be.

ian@huth
14-11-2004, 11:52
when bulldog start fully unbundling exchanges then they will be able to provide phone line too so it will take BT totally out of the equation and release britain from BT's strangle and enable us to enjoy broadband britain as its meant to be.

They may be charging you for the phone line rental but they will still use the phone line installed by BT. Do you think that they will string a new phone line from the exchange to your home? Who's telegraph poles will they hang it from? Whos ducting will they pass it through? Whos green box will they connect it through?

eshaq786
14-11-2004, 20:13
They may be charging you for the phone line rental but they will still use the phone line installed by BT. Do you think that they will string a new phone line from the exchange to your home? Who's telegraph poles will they hang it from? Whos ducting will they pass it through? Whos green box will they connect it through?
but atleast i wouldnt be using BTs network to carry the data, i.e data carried through BT pipelines. BT is out of the equation as soon as the phone lines reach the local exchange.

ian@huth
15-11-2004, 11:21
but atleast i wouldnt be using BTs network to carry the data, i.e data carried through BT pipelines. BT is out of the equation as soon as the phone lines reach the local exchange.

What do you think is the part of the ADSL connection that determines how fast a connection you can have, particularly the upload?

Do you think that Bulldog carry your connection all the way to the computer you are connecting to?

Do you know who has one of the best backbones in the UK?

Do you know a good deal if you see one?

etccarmageddon
15-11-2004, 12:18
By 3Mbit IMHO upload should really be 384 at least.

50% more upload sounds fair but then to get that Telewest charge £50 a month - which is a lot of dosh compared to NTL's £38 quid a month top tier.

eshaq786
15-11-2004, 15:48
What do you think is the part of the ADSL connection that determines how fast a connection you can have, particularly the upload?

Do you think that Bulldog carry your connection all the way to the computer you are connecting to?

Do you know who has one of the best backbones in the UK?

Do you know a good deal if you see one?Did u even read my last post? I said i recognise the fact that BT carry the data to the exchange but as soon as it reaches there, Bulldog will take over via LLU and BTs backbone isnt that much better compared to Bulldogs. I know Bulldog had problems earlier this year but they have sorted that out now. One of my friend who has Bulldog 1mb has been upgraded to 2mb for free and he's still paying the same price. Bulldog must be in the giving mood this christmas.

I hope this means the end of BT since they have caused me and a lot of other people headache.

Anyway we are sort of getting of topic. On topic i really think telewest should upgrade their upload speed because the download is plenty for most people and we could really do with a boost in upload. Least they could do is upgrade the 128k upload to 256k.