PDA

View Full Version : writing time of email.

albone
19-08-2003, 18:03
Can anyone shed any light on why, on ntl's mail, it cuts you off after a little while even when you are writing? as my husband is not a fast writer it invariably cuts him out and he looses the email. Is there anyway of extending the time? or is it just one of those annoying things ntl do?
Thanks in anticipation of answers.:confused:

Steve H
19-08-2003, 18:05
Your Connection to the server timeouts, usually.. Just Write the letter on Word, or Notepad.. Then paste it when you connect into the actual email.

albone
19-08-2003, 18:18
What even on BB?:confused:

paulyoung666
19-08-2003, 18:37
sorry can you elaborate on what you mean by ' ntl mail ' :)

albone
19-08-2003, 19:02
ntl's own webmail! My husband uses it as it seems less fraut with problems apart from the time!:shrug:

Steve H
19-08-2003, 19:07
You mean your whole connection goes off?

If Not, then yeah.. Your computer connects to the NTL webmail Servers, and for protection, the connection "Times out", after a certain period of time.. thus, you have to reconnect to validate your connection. Its also because, if the servers have too many clients conencted.. When they' arent in use.. They will slow down, etc...

It makes no difference if your on BB, ADSL, 56k.. Its the connection your connection makes with there servers.

albone
19-08-2003, 19:17
Thanks for that m8! interesting answer!

paulyoung666
19-08-2003, 19:41
now i see what is going on here , why not use outlook or expresss ???????????????

Richard M
19-08-2003, 20:40
I suppose it's more secure than using a standalone client, easier to setup/use if you travel around a bit. :shrug:

I wouldn't recommend Outlook/Express to anyone though, Thunderbird is better.

paulyoung666
19-08-2003, 20:47
but .............. if you use outlook then you dont have any timeout problems do you :D

albone
19-08-2003, 21:05
Thats true but it sometimes fails to deliver! on a number of occasions we have sent out emails and they don't get there! but using the ntl mailer we have noticed it is more reliable! just my husband is disabled and life takes it's time with him! I have suggested the word-to-email and I think that may be the way to go! Thanks guys for your help it is much apreciated!:)

paulyoung666
19-08-2003, 21:22
Originally posted by albone
Thats true but it sometimes fails to deliver! on a number of occasions we have sent out emails and they don't get there! but using the ntl mailer we have noticed it is more reliable! just my husband is disabled and life takes it's time with him! I have suggested the word-to-email and I think that may be the way to go! Thanks guys for your help it is much apreciated!:)

just a thought , but why dont you ask for a read receipt with your mail , if you dont get one within a day or so then resend the mail just incase it hasnt been delivered :)

homealone
19-08-2003, 21:40
Originally posted by albone

Hi albone

for "text only" e-mail, good ol' Notepad is the way to go, imo. Not so relevant for a BB connection, I know - but if you are sending to any dial-up addresses, they will appreciate the smaller files:)

Gaz

3 years of hell
20-08-2003, 09:56
There is an idle disconnection of 15 mins using 56k, set OE to read for new mail every minute. OE > tools > options > general tab, this will ensure data transfer so no idle disconnection. Theres also a server side 2hr disconnection, cant do anything about that of coarse

Theres a login time out of 30 mins using Web Mail, but its a bit longer suppose so may be enough time from slower typers etc.

BB users shouldnt time out using OE, its just NTL's mail servers struggling with capacity

albone
22-08-2003, 15:06
Thanks for that, I think he'l be typing it up and posting it over as a way to go in future but he was furrious at loosing all his typing and having to start again! Mind you my daughter says she has had the same thing happen to her too. So it would seem that the time factor is a wee bit too short at times. Still I understand time is bandwidth so there we have it!:mad: