PDA

View Full Version : Internet Disconnects after a few hours usuage

xathras
11-11-2004, 13:22
Can anyone help

Time Not Established Time Not Established 158 Critical (3) 82000200 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

This came from my modem log, is this bad?

My modem seems to disconnect after a few hours of usuage, a simple reset of the modem and ipconfig /renew works.

Aragorn
11-11-2004, 13:58
Don't know if I can answer the problem, but I know that anyone who can will probably need more detail, eg:

Modem type/model
Signal levels may help
Roughly where are you
Has BB been working OK previously, when did this start?

I'm not sure whether many of the NTL techies are still posting :(, but with the above info they should be able to advise.

Chris
11-11-2004, 14:15
Lots of NTL staff are still here. :) I'm sure someone will be able to shed some light on this for you.

carlingman
11-11-2004, 23:25
Can anyone help

Time Not Established Time Not Established 158 Critical (3) 82000200 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

This came from my modem log, is this bad?

My modem seems to disconnect after a few hours of usuage, a simple reset of the modem and ipconfig /renew works.

Hi xathras,

Hazarding a guess from the error code you are using an NTL Home 200 ??

In general a T3 time out error usually relates to an upstream power level problem.

When this error happens and you can see this in the logs what is the upstream power ???

Have a looksie and see if it is fluctuating.

Ideally you shoudl be seeing between 35db and 61db, but between 58db and 61db is likely to give problems and may point to a poor upstream.

Unfortunately we cannot fix this here so you will need to call faults or Tech Support to book you an Engineer.

:D

xathras
12-11-2004, 00:50
Hiya, yes this is the modem in question, I am going to have to speak to them sometime, I tried today but I have to wait a week or so apparently due to system upgrades at ntl?????

Neil
12-11-2004, 08:05
Hiya, yes this is the modem in question, I am going to have to speak to them sometime, I tried today but I have to wait a week or so apparently due to system upgrades at ntl?????

Yep- http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=19818&highlight=harmony

Nidge
12-11-2004, 11:00
Mine keeps dropping every 5 minutes.

Greebox
12-11-2004, 17:58
I have a Samsung box and noticed a similar problem this today. Checking my router I found that the IP was only getting leased for 1hr and when that time was up, the link was dead. I renewed the IP but same again, until I rebooted the STB and got the lease for the full 7 days.

There's nothing in System status to say they are aware od DHCP problems and wondered if any of the staff here had similar problems aor could shed some light

JohnHorb
12-11-2004, 19:02
Could someone from NTL clarify? I thought the DHCP lease was for 7-14 days, but a recent post indicated it was 48 hours??

mr-b
12-03-2005, 20:14
Over the past few months I have started to experience strange CM "disconnection" problems whenever I go away for a few days - just leaving my server running emule (very low activity levels).

I have a ntl home 200 Ambit modem and the SNR/upstream power levels look fine as per Robin walker's page. When I return from my trip the Sync/Rdy lights are on but there is no internet connectivity. If I remove my router and connect my laptop directly nothing happens either. However if I reboot the CM everything works fine again.

This last time I checked the CM Event Log and it said:
"No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out"
with a count of >15,000.
This corresponded to the same time that an auto-refreshing page (that I had left active on my server - National Rail departures board http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ldb/livedepartures.asp) reported that it had lost the web connection several days ago.
What does the above msg mean? A quick google mentioned something about possibly losing an upstream connection but it didn't seem conclusive.

CS prompted me to reboot the modem (which of course worked as usual) and said that they'd have to send out an engineer if it happened again.
I asked them about the above msg and they then just said that the CM would need rebooting if I was away for a few days! :erm:

allieyoung666
12-03-2005, 20:20
disconnect it and then reconnect it again that sometimes works???

mr-b
12-03-2005, 20:32
Do you mean unplugging the coax cable from the CM?

I know that a CM power down/up will reconnect the CM - but I don't want it to disconnect in the first place! :)

xathras
12-03-2005, 21:57
Over the past few months I have started to experience strange CM "disconnection" problems whenever I go away for a few days - just leaving my server running emule (very low activity levels).

I have a ntl home 200 Ambit modem and the SNR/upstream power levels look fine as per Robin walker's page. When I return from my trip the Sync/Rdy lights are on but there is no internet connectivity. If I remove my router and connect my laptop directly nothing happens either. However if I reboot the CM everything works fine again.

This last time I checked the CM Event Log and it said:
"No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out"
with a count of >15,000.
This corresponded to the same time that an auto-refreshing page (that I had left active on my server - National Rail departures board http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ldb/livedepartures.asp) reported that it had lost the web connection several days ago.
What does the above msg mean? A quick google mentioned something about possibly losing an upstream connection but it didn't seem conclusive.

CS prompted me to reboot the modem (which of course worked as usual) and said that they'd have to send out an engineer if it happened again.
I asked them about the above msg and they then just said that the CM would need rebooting if I was away for a few days! :erm:

I get the same problem. I have rang NTL many a time and they couldnt help me, at least I'm not the only one.

xathras
12-03-2005, 23:08
my docsdiag output:

System up time = 4 days 07h 52m 53.00s
Downstream channel ID = 0
Downstream channel frequency = 586750000 Hz
Downstream received signal power = -1.8 dBmV
Upstream channel ID = 6
Upstream channel frequency = 46384000 Hz
QoS max upstream bandwidth = 300000 bps
QoS max downstream bandwidth = 3072000 bps
SigQu: Signal to Noise Ratio = 30.5 dB
Cable modem status = Operational
Upstream transmit signal power = 48.3 dBmV
Date and Time = 2005-03-12,22:57:26.0
Configuration filename = cmreg-ntlhm200-high.cm

mr-b
13-03-2005, 17:45
Went out for the afternoon - and it failed again. :(

This time I checked my router and it still had its WAN IP address allocated. After a reboot it said 0.0.0.0 so DHCP from the CM wasn't working.

DOCSIS 1.0 Cable Modem 60678EU <<HW_REV: 1.15 ; VENDOR: Ambit; BOOTR: 3.13.2 ; S
W_REV: 2.67.1011 ; MODEL: 60678EU >>

System up time = 1 days 00h 12m 16.00s
Ethernet single-collision errs.1 = 4731
Ethernet multiple-collision errs.1 = 3616
Ethernet deferred xmits.1 = 43865
Downstream channel frequency = 402750000 Hz
Downstream received signal power = -2.8 dBmV
Upstream channel ID = 3
Upstream channel frequency = 25584000 Hz
SigQu: Signal to Noise Ratio = 34.1 dB
Upstream transmit signal power = 56.0 dBmV
Date and Time = 2005-03-13,17:25:58.0

Aside - Docsdiag sometimes doesn't work as somehow I can't always access 192.168.100.1 behind my router. It doesn't seem to follow any pattern - sometime it pings OK, other times &quot;destination unreachable&quot; ...

I'm so used to rebooting my CM that I forgot to try out the coax disconnect/reconnect idea - must try to remember that for next time!

rdhw
13-03-2005, 22:39
System up time = 1 days 00h 12m 16.00s
Ethernet single-collision errs.1 = 4731
Ethernet multiple-collision errs.1 = 3616
Ethernet deferred xmits.1 = 43865That's a high ethernet error rate for just one day. What model of router do you have? What spec does its WAN port have? 10Mbps or 100Mbps?Upstream transmit signal power = 56.0 dBmVNot good - that is pushing right at the limit. You might need an NTL techie visit to sort out your upstream powerDocsdiag sometimes doesn't work as somehow I can't always access 192.168.100.1 behind my router.That's a problem with the Ambit modems and routers: the Ambits sometimes reply from a different IP address than 192.168.1.100, so routers drop the replies.

mr-b
14-03-2005, 00:08
That's a high ethernet error rate for just one day. What model of router do you have? What spec does its WAN port have? 10Mbps or 100Mbps?Not good - that is pushing right at the limit. You might need an NTL techie visit to sort out your upstream powerThat's a problem with the Ambit modems and routers: the Ambits sometimes reply from a different IP address than 192.168.1.100, so routers drop the replies.

Tx Robin for the info.
The router is a Netgear RP114 with a 10M WAN port. Rather elderly but it's been reliable up to now. The only time I've ever had to reboot it was when a P2P app seemed to swamp it with connections and it started dropping UDP packets e.g. DNS lookups stopped working.

I think I will ask for an engineer visit now this issue has happened twice in the past week.
That Ambit CM bug is a bit silly though. ;) Might be an idea to add it to your page.

xathras
14-03-2005, 06:29
Tx Robin for the info.
The router is a Netgear RP114 with a 10M WAN port. Rather elderly but it's been reliable up to now. The only time I've ever had to reboot it was when a P2P app seemed to swamp it with connections and it started dropping UDP packets e.g. DNS lookups stopped working.

I think I will ask for an engineer visit now this issue has happened twice in the past week.
That Ambit CM bug is a bit silly though. ;) Might be an idea to add it to your page.

I wouldnt generally say its a bug, it could be down to our internet download/uploading activity or a bad configuration

rdhw
14-03-2005, 10:45
The router is a Netgear RP114 with a 10M WAN port.For the optimal performance, if your router has a fixed 10Mbps WAN port, then you should configure the Ambit's ethernet socket also to be 10Mbps half-duplex, rather than auto-detect. You can do this in the Ambit configuration pages.

I wouldnt generally say its a bugIf you send a request packet to 192.168.1.100, and the reply is tagged as coming from a totally different IP address (the ISP-side IP address of the CM), then it's a real bug, and a bad one.

mr-b
15-03-2005, 09:42
For the optimal performance, if your router has a fixed 10Mbps WAN port, then you should configure the Ambit's ethernet socket also to be 10Mbps half-duplex, rather than auto-detect. You can do this in the Ambit configuration pages.

How do you do this? I couldn't find any way to configure this from the Ambit web page. The only things that I can apparently change are the password and Set Search Frequency Parameters.

carlingman
15-03-2005, 23:05
How do you do this? I couldn't find any way to configure this from the Ambit web page. The only things that I can apparently change are the password and Set Search Frequency Parameters.

Without the router in play and connecting via the 192.168.100.1 page rather than through docs diag.

From the first page of the diagnostics you should see an option to set ethernet type and a drop down box to choose this setting.

mr-b
17-03-2005, 00:57
Without the router in play and connecting via the 192.168.100.1 page rather than through docs diag.

From the first page of the diagnostics you should see an option to set ethernet type and a drop down box to choose this setting.

Docsdiag is for diag - not mgmt.
There is nowhere at all on the Ambit ntl home 200 modem http:/192.168.100.1 web page to set the ethernet port speed that I can see. Can you be more specific?

ian@huth
17-03-2005, 01:10
Doesn't it have "set ethernet type" at the top of the page?

carlingman
17-03-2005, 23:43
:erm: :confused: Yep thats where it is on all the diagnostics pages I have seen ????

:)

mr-b
18-03-2005, 23:40
Doesn't it have "set ethernet type" at the top of the page?

Nope - near the top it has links for "Cable Modem Information", "Set Seach Frequency Parameters" and "Change Password". On the left it has links for Configuration, Status, Operations Configuration, Interface Rate and Event Log. I see the same page with both Firefox and IE6.

But all that pales into insignificance against all the grief I've just had with support. :(
After another connection failure, they sent an engineer out, who at first cancelled the call because I have a completely separate ntl business telephone line at the same address. :( After they sent him out again, he adjusted something so that my upstream power is now looking like this:

DOCSIS 1.0 Cable Modem 60678EU <<HW_REV: 1.15 ; VENDOR: Ambit; BOOTR: 3.13.2 ; S
W_REV: 2.67.1011 ; MODEL: 60678EU >>

System up time = 0 days 00h 04m 28.00s
Ethernet deferred xmits.1 = 99
Downstream channel frequency = 402750000 Hz
Downstream received signal power = -5.1 dBmV
Upstream channel ID = 3
Upstream channel frequency = 25584000 Hz
SigQu: Signal to Noise Ratio = 34.8 dB
Upstream transmit signal power = 51.0 dBmV
Date and Time = 2005-03-18,23:22:38.0

But today it failed again - no DHCP address was obtainable.
I called support, who then insisted that there was nothing wrong with the CM (since my SYNC and RDY lights were on solid) and that the fault must be with my router and that I'd just have to keep rebooting my CM, even though I'd disconnected my router on previous occasions and managed to replicate the exact same IP loss issue with my PC. :mad:

I then asked to speak with a supervisor - whom I got to agree that rebooting a CM every few days was not "normal" behaviour, espcially since I'd had mine for 5 years and never experienced this before.

He then advised me that it might have something to do with the fact that there may not be enough IP addresses in my area, but that there was little they could do about it unless there were a lot of other complaints... :mad:
If this goes on much longer I can see an ADSL order looming...

mr-b
22-03-2005, 00:46
Lost my IP address again today. CS had been due to call me back since it failed yesterday too - but of course they never did. :(
When I called again, this time their excuse for the constant loss of IP address and necessary CM reboots was that I should be turning the CM off regularly anway, as otherwise it would generate lots of heat! :erm:

After I confirmed that they had carried out all their diagnostics I rebooted the CM so it would give me an IP address again - although CS refused to acknowledge that there was a problem, saying that it was the fault f my PC and that I needed to run the cmd:
> netsh interface ip reset resetlog.txt" each time. They didn't know how to do this on a router, but they didn't support routers anyway...

Then after I talked again to a supervisor, he said that I would have to call again when it stopped working again. :mad:
I insisted then that they send out an engineer to examine the CM since that is the only thing that has not been replaced yet - so we'll have to see how it goes tomorrow...

Quick addendum to this:

I also discovered whilst monitoring the DHCP lease behaviour (for just my PC behind the CM) that sometimes the lease is for an hour, and then after another refresh it goes to 2 days! Anyone else seen this?

Peter_Stanley
24-03-2005, 16:15
Over the past few months I have started to experience strange CM "disconnection" problems .... the SNR/upstream power levels look fine as per Robin walker's page ... the Sync/Rdy lights are on but there is no internet connectivity... if I reboot the CM everything works fine again.

I've been having a very similar problem for the last couple of weeks. Essentially my connection is working perfectly and then intermittently drops. The cable modem still show solid SYNC and RDY lights, but webpages time out or cannot be found and email servers are not reachable. The problem can last for a few seconds or 20+ minutes and then self-rectify.

Talking to NTL on this is VERY frustrating:

Call 1 - Remove your router - that is causing the problem
Call 2 - (Direct connection from CM to PC) - There's definately a problem, Tech Support intermittantly getting 100% loss (not sure what this means?) when interrogating the CM.
Engineer booked to switch out the CM, but actually just changes the power lead/transformer and adds an attenuator to adjust the signal power levels.
Call 3 - Remote test of the connection with PC off shows 0% loss, with PC on this dropped to 100%, "so it must be the PC". (Well, maybe but it is an intermittent connection problem and we certainly haven't done enough testing to conclude this yet!) Next told to disable ZoneAlarm and NAV (which I refuse to do - have you seen the infection rate statistics for unprotected broadband connections?!). Disable ZA and now we have a 10% loss. (Hmm seems to be fluctuating a lot). Follows a confusing conversation where Tech Support trys to tell me that Ad-Aware SE and Spybot S&D are spyware/adware and to disable them because they're maxing out my connection, even though I state that (a) they're not spyware and (b) they're not even running! Finally tech support states that it must be ZoneAlarm hammering my upstream and suggests I contact ZoneLabs - funny how it isn't affecting anyone else then! Just thought - if the problem is spyware, wouldn't the U/S light be continually lit when the problem occurs? (It isn't).

SO, to test the hypothesis that my PC is the problem, I'm typing this on a different PC that doesn't use ZA or NAV. I'm willing to bet a considerable sum that the problem still occurs...!

[I'm not trying to malign the good NTL tech guys, but there are some who talk out of their backsides IMHO.]

Anyone have any suggestions on what the problem might be?

Just for info, here are the SNR levels etc which look okay I think (need to check Robin Walker's site):

Downstream receive power level: fluctuating between -1.84 and -2.01dBmv
Downstream SNR: fluctuating between 30.25 and 31.00 dB
Upstream transmit power level: 40.50dBmv

The error log shows R02.0 No Ranging Response received, T3 time-out with the last occurence about the same time as I last lost the connection.

Any help much appreciated! :confused:

mr-b
24-03-2005, 23:42
I empathise completely with your frustrations since your experience sounds very familiar e.g. WTF is "loss"???
Some ppl in support these days really do seem to be paid on how quickly they can fob you off with any old excuse i.e. it must be your [insert random h/w or s/w element].
I've had to ask to speak to a supervisor on multiple occasions to try and get get past all this BS.

Did you check your DHCP lease details?
Also note that the Ambit modem event log can be rather confusing since it's not in date order. :(

I was lucky though in that the Sync LED on my modem decided to fail completely and so they had to come out and swap my modem (replacement was the same Ambit 200 model). Since then I've had no further trouble - but it is early days ...

th'engineer
25-03-2005, 07:13
Call 3 - Remote test of the connection with PC off shows 0% loss, with PC on this dropped to 100%, "so it must be the PC". (Well, maybe but it is an intermittent connection problem and we certainly haven't done enough testing to conclude this yet!) Next told to disable ZoneAlarm and NAV (which I refuse to do - have you seen the infection rate statistics for unprotected broadband connections?!). Disable ZA and now we have a 10% loss. (Hmm seems to be fluctuating a lot). Follows a confusing conversation where Tech Support trys to tell me that Ad-Aware SE and Spybot S&D are spyware/adware and to disable them because they're maxing out my connection, even though I state that (a) they're not spyware and (b) they're not even running! Finally tech support states that it must be ZoneAlarm hammering my upstream and suggests I contact ZoneLabs - funny how it isn't affecting anyone else then! Just thought - if the problem is spyware, wouldn't the U/S light be continually lit when the problem occurs? (It isn't).

I see some people in tech support have not changed still anthing but the NTL equipment.

I just wonder why we are all having problems after the upgrade disconnects slow speeds etc .

Its like when they had to turn proxies off because of a major problem but not telling anyone.

Or even something was not tested prior to the upgrade, could it be possible that it was introduced without the right technical involvement.
Put in to a date and time unrealistically with errors in a part of the system.:D

OldGiraffe
26-03-2005, 14:06
I have just sent this to as many media contacts as I could find: -

†ωà ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ã‚ Can anyone beat this record for poor broadband service given by NTL?
They claim 'always on' or as some would say 24/7. Well, I can accept that there will be the odd occasion when this is impractical but an average of only 10 hrs in 24 for 8 days at best (and still counting) takes the biscuit! One day there was a connexion for only three hours and another day zero. Then there were the four engineer visits when each one knew nothing of the other's findings and the dozen or so calls to telephone support where again each 'agent' knew precious little about what was said to and by other support 'agents' and they knew even less about what the engineers had found, or more often not found. Then there are the network engineers in their own mysterious world divorced from the reality of the field engineers and hardly ever spoken to by the telephone support staff! Never the same engineer calls, never the same person on the telephone and no single reference point for the fault in hand. To add insult to injury each time a telephone call is made one has to go through the routine: listen to the music, press this number, press that number half a dozen times, listen to messages telling us how to suck eggs and then when one gets to talk to a real person, listen to the multitude of different 'solutions' for the one problem, many being absurd. In addition, the automatically generated emails which follow each telephone call with suggestions which are mostly irrelevant. Why not allocate a fault number and give us an early 'press this option' short cut straight to someone with access to the total fault report history?
Come on NTL, let's have some 'joined up' technical support then maybe I will get my broadband back! †ωà ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ã‚

I am still far from happy with your telephone response to my letter 1st of January 2005, to which I asked for a written reply but did not receive one. I will be writing again about my other complaints in that letter.

Meanwhile; please tell me how I can escalate my complaints up the management chain.

NO REPLY FROM NTL!!!!

dvk01
26-03-2005, 21:45
I am getting drop outs and disconnections continually today

I had this problem several months ago & the fault was traced to a conection somewhere in one of the street boxes

I have to reboot teh cable modem every 10 or 15 minutes to stay connected

I attmpted to speak to the engineers but got diverted to India where the person at the other end won't book an engineer or dp anything without lots of private information which I will not give

He wants to know all sorts of information that I know I have never put down on my account and he wanted my email address password which I flatly refuse to give

How do we get problems fixed then if we haven't given secret information and I won't give out my email password to anyone and shouldn't have to
Who do I complain to in NTL about this invasion of privacy and blatent security risk

Surely my account number and modem mac number is enough to prove that I have an NTL account and that I am in front of the modem

If anyone can help me I am in the IG10 postcode area

DarkFX
26-03-2005, 22:31
I am getting drop outs and disconnections continually today

I had this problem several months ago & the fault was traced to a conection somewhere in one of the street boxes

I have to reboot teh cable modem every 10 or 15 minutes to stay connected

I attmpted to speak to the engineers but got diverted to India where the person at the other end won't book an engineer or dp anything without lots of private information which I will not give

He wants to know all sorts of information that I know I have never put down on my account and he wanted my email address password which I flatly refuse to give

How do we get problems fixed then if we haven't given secret information and I won't give out my email password to anyone and shouldn't have to
Who do I complain to in NTL about this invasion of privacy and blatent security risk

Surely my account number and modem mac number is enough to prove that I have an NTL account and that I am in front of the modem

If anyone can help me I am in the IG10 postcode area

I'm in exactly the same situation as you.

Indian call centres = absolute crap (I should know, the company I work for is ALWAYS outsourcing over there). They seem completely ignorant that they just said "Well I just checked and there are no issues in your area" - Only to then say 5 minutes later after finding sod all wrong with my connection (at that time) and PC "oh.. I just checked and there is a fault in your area... since february 22nd".

I've never considered leaving NTL until now, outsourcing to India might be cheap, but you will get your customers a hell of a lot more irate when the "Technicians" don't know their arse from their elbow. UK call centres have brilliant technicians though... :Yikes:

PS - My connection dropped while typing this reply! But i'll call India and probably get told it's my non-existent P2P software that's causing it!

mr-b
29-03-2005, 20:06
On a positive note, my CM has not lost its IP address since being replaced a week ago. :)

However, as I mentioned before, I did have to ask to speak to a supervisor to get this done.
I also kept a diary record of all my previous calls to support and the outcomes of each. Armed with all this evidence, the supervisor really had no choice but to agree on all the ground that had been covered before and then replace the one item which had not been verified.

I can sympathise with previous posters' boatloads of issues - but in the end I don't think that you're realistically going to get them all solved - ntl has been publicly slammed on the media before for poor service and nothing's changed.

To avoid frustration, I'd advise just focusing on the very specific issues that are most important to you! ;)

dvk01
29-03-2005, 21:33
My big gripe is not with the engineer when he comes but the appraoch of the Indian call centre
I resuse to divulge any email password and shouldn't have to

the whole idea of them saying taht only the account holder can report a fault is seriously flawed and the amount of nonsense to go through to prove you are the account holder is beyond belief

OK they would lkke you to be in front of the computer so surely the mac adress of the modem and my adress and phone number is enough

I haven't ever given them (to the best of my knowledge) any other secret info & will not do so

If I have then there should be some method on the web site to acccess that info & allow me to change it and as there isn't then they don't get that info from me

Call me paranoid if you want but I am a security specialist and I spend a lot of my time dealing with people who have had identities stolen & used on the net and most were stolen not from the computer but from giving info to call centres who don't have the required security measures in place to protect such info

Also I consider that the data protection act applies to all the info NTL hasd onme and to export it outside the EU without mu consent is a clear breach of that act and I will be writing to the MD of NTL warning him of the consequences of their actions

As it happens it was an area fault & not anything at my end as usual and corrected it self Or wa scorrected by NTL tech ( I found out the next day when I managed to ring one of the engineers I have have frequent dealings with )

gazz
29-03-2005, 22:04
I recently ordered NTL last month on the 25th, and every single day it's gone down at least 2 to 3 times a day. So i'm basically getting disconnected randomly everyday for no apparent reason. I have rang up and they blamed it on my Zonealarm firewall so me being a pc newbie i un-installed it thinking there might of been a glimer of hope it being fixed. Nope, none, infact i reinstalled XP just incase there's something blocking my network and guess what it still goes down at least 2 to 3 times a day. I use the run the "CMD" quite frequently to ping ntlworld.com and i sometimes get a reply but most i don't "Request timeout" Even now while i'm posting this my internet is very very slow and just disconnected about 5 minutes ago. I know my internet is 'UP' and working because the lights are always on but it's the amount of packetloss, varying from 25-100%. I recently got rid of BT because they wouldn't sort out my routing and the browsing was awfully slow, but it had only gone down about 4 times in the period of 3 years i'm now unfortunately on a year long contract with NTL, i just hope this madness is sorted soon.

mr-b
01-04-2005, 17:21
It looks like I spoke too soon - my ip address was gone again this morning. :(
Support wanted to swap out the cablemodem again, and I didn't have any other ideas, so this pm an engineer swapped my Ambit 200 for one of the new Ambit 250 vertical modems.

He was very helpful and said that if the issue happened again, then after being swapped twice, it almost certainly couldn't be a CM issue, which at least narrows things down a little more.

However we had a discussion about how the DHCP ip address allocation process works - and it turns out that the UBR supplies my ntl ip address, and that ntl record every single DHCP ip lease that is given out, and it might be useful to enquire about this on any future failures, since that could point towards a problem ...

steve 'o'
15-04-2005, 09:52
Now i can't help you about your connection problems but if NTL are giving you the run around I would suggest a call to OFFCOM telling them of your troubles about unsatisfactory answers from NTL and their indian call centres. Normally all it takes is an email from OFFCOM and you'll have NTL's head office phoning you personally to resolve your problems within a day. A little bit of politics goes a long way.

mr-b
15-04-2005, 10:16
Thanks for the reminder - and I've used them before when I got trapped in a cycle of ntl stopping sending me bills and then cutting me off! It got sorted out pretty sharpish after that. ;)

I hesitate to say this, but my connection seems to be Ok now after my CM was replaced (again). No idea if something was fixed on the network side as well to stop my ip lease from being renewed...