PDA

View Full Version : cheap pc components?

Mark W
19-08-2003, 15:36
Am thinking of building my own pc from the ground up with nice bits and pieces (as opposed to the pc i have at the mo made out of bits of old pc noone else wanted) and i have a simple question..

wheres the best place (online) to get decent cheap as possible pc bits?

danielf
19-08-2003, 15:41
Ebuyer are cheap, though they can be a bit of a nightmare if they send you faulty or incorrect items.

kronas
19-08-2003, 15:46
www.komplett.co.uk have good prices :)

Tricky
19-08-2003, 15:48
I have never had problems with SCAN computers (except they deliver to quickly sometimes! I.e. Call Monday PM, they say it'll be delivered on Wednesday but Citilink have the parcel and they try deliver on Tuesday!) Prices are comparable with other orgs especially their today only stuff: http://www.scan.co.uk/todayonly/ (Watch the time of day though!)

Richard M
19-08-2003, 15:55
www.overclockers.co.uk

timewarrior2001
19-08-2003, 16:10
I must recommend Dabs.com.
I have heard thye get into all sorts of toruble but every single one of my orders has been perfectly allright and I ordered after 6pm one day free delivery turned up the next morning!!!!!!
Wasnt next day either.

basa
19-08-2003, 16:33
I usually use eBuyer and Crucial.

"Cheap as chips !!"

(Are chips cheap ?....my local chippy wants £1.20 for a small bag !! - but that's another thread ):rolleyes:

Mark W
19-08-2003, 16:38
thanks alot guys. guess this'll keep me busy tonight :)

trebor
19-08-2003, 17:20
Originally posted by Roger K
www.overclockers.co.uk

I second that, good company good prices ready to help if you have problems.
and they are only 6 miles from me so I can go there and look at the stuff first ;)

Nidge
19-08-2003, 18:21
www.insight.com are well good for parts.

Graham
19-08-2003, 21:16
I've just built a new system with bits from http://www.redstore.com although they're a little slow on their tech support replies (about three days) and I'm still waiting to hear back on a returned PSU that was faulty, but the prices are good.

altis
19-08-2003, 21:26
CPC, MicroDirect, Aria, Scan, Dabs, Simply, Insight, Lindy, Jungle, Watford, Novatech and you might be surprised by Inmac too!

imback
19-08-2003, 21:50
I always use ebuyer, never had a problem with their delivery times, and twice I have returned things through no fault of theirs and it was easy and quick.

Also www.redstar.co.uk can be pretty cheap but you have to add VAT onto their prices.

idi banashapan
19-08-2003, 22:08
Originally posted by Roger K
www.overclockers.co.uk

Overclockers are effing great!!! excellent quality products at excellent prices! Well worth a bookmark!!!!!!

www.aria.co.uk are ok too. good choice of components.

Visibleman
20-08-2003, 00:51
i use www.eclipse-computers.com . Very good service, never had any major problems with them, but they have fairly good prices and have some cracking special deals :)

However, before you start giving out your credit card, do a search on the hardware for reviews first. Its saved me in the pasted when i was looking at my MoBo :)

Dom

Jules
20-08-2003, 12:16
Try http://www.cclcomputers.co.uk/ great firm in Bradford that also do mail order. The fella that does my comp for me gets all the parts from there

MegaHurtz
21-08-2003, 10:27
I user ebuyer, both personally, and for the odd re-sell PC.
I've never had a problem with them, but their tech support sucks a big one. If you know what you want and are willing to spend the time making sure that everything works with everything else use them, Delivery is good, with a good choice of options from next day to (I think) 5 day delivery, with a HUGE range to choose from.

Lord Nikon
21-08-2003, 11:14
If you are buying a machine and want to build it around an Athlon, I would recommend the Soltek SL-75FRN2 board... Nforce 2 chipset, fast as hell, gold colour so it looks good in a case with a transparent side panel, £60 approx price, there are also versions with onboard NVidia graphics, Serial ATA etc, all have 6 USB 2 ports (2 ports on the motherboard, 2 sets of headers) Reasonable onboard sound (a 5.1 header is available as well as the standard audio connectors) Supports Dual Channel DDR400 up to 3Gb AGP 8x on it etc etc....

overclockers gave it a rave review too... Even the heatsink / fan on the chipset is high quality.

MadGamer
27-08-2003, 00:23
PC World have a component centre, perhaps you could try them

Lord Nikon
27-08-2003, 08:12
Originally posted by WNA
PC World have a component centre, perhaps you could try them

You ever seen the prices at PC World?

a socket 7 motherboard there costs over £100!

alexredhed
09-12-2005, 06:11
I would advice no one buying from overclockersUK. Myself like most people thought they were a good online retailer which did the parts i wanted cheaper than most online retailers and shops.
However when it came down to it and when my £320 6800 GT became faulty 6 months down the line, it took them 2 months to finally respond . ( never possible to get through to them on their tech support number ). When they did finally send me a replacement card, it was a faulty b-grade 6800GT. It then took them another 7 months to do anything ! In these 7 months i sent them an email nearly twice a week and as of this week they ended up saying they would send me a refund.
However all i have got refunded has been the price of the card today which is now £188.
Oh and they also thought they would take from my credit card a £23 testing fee, which after much more pestering agreed was another of their mistakes.

9 months down the line still without a 6800Gt and alot poorer i wish i never made the mistake of picking them.
Avoid overclockers like the plague.

Halcyon
09-12-2005, 18:35
www.komplett.co.uk (http://www.komplett.co.uk) have good prices :)

I would also reccomend them. Bought my 19" monitor from them and the prices were really good.

Overclockers - Have always been pleased with them and found the items arrive quickly too.

Ebuyer - Has some good prices, but it can be hell getting through to their customor service if you have problems.

handyman
09-12-2005, 18:44
http://www.mlweb.co.uk/images/die_thread_die.jpg