PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Connection Issues...

Scorpion
09-11-2004, 04:35
Have just installed NetGear RP614 v2 Web Safe Router to make use of house-mates cable broadband connection and we're getting odd connection drop-outs. :(

The connection will drop for anything up to a minute then we'll get a spike of full-speed connection, for upto a couple of seconds or so, before it drops again. :(

This happens on all services - web surfing, downloading, mail, gaming, the lot... :(

We also get same random connection drops with network cable plugged straight into cable modem, so it's not that... :(

Does anyone know what's up with cambridge broadband at the moment or is it just us ?

TIA...

Additional information:
http://www.numion.com/YourSpeed
gives me a whopping 141kbps throughput!

daxx
09-11-2004, 11:30
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=19524 may shed some light on the matter

Scorpion
09-11-2004, 11:43
:) Thanks, but no, it didn't :( - I'd already read that thread (yes, I actually _did_ have a browse through recent threads before posting!) and unfortunately the thread doesn't actually give any further ideas about possible causes, nor does it give any idea about how widespread the problem is.

Is it odd isolated issues (in which case it would be wise to contact ntl) or is it a more widespread known issue that ntl are already working on (in which case they really don't need us bothering them too) ?

anyone know any more ?

should I just wait it out, or should we be hassling ntl to get it sorted ?

gary_580
09-11-2004, 12:47
Do you get the same problems if you connect direct ot the BB ie not via the router?

If you do then contact NTL

Scorpion
09-11-2004, 15:11
Yes, I get the same problems whether connected straight to the modem or through the router. The main reason for mentioning the router was that it isn't my internet connection - it's my housemates, well, strictly, my 'landlord', but any way, it's not my broadband connection so I want to ascertain whether this is a 'known issue' which ntl are working on, in which case I'll happily wait it out, or is it an issue specific to my landlords connection, in which case I'll have to hassle him to phone ntl about it...

so, is anyone else in Cambridge having poor quality connection issues ?