PDA

View Full Version : Telephone Number to New House problem

byron_hinson
08-11-2004, 21:47
Last week I asked NTL to transfer my NTL phone number from my old house to my new one, I thought this was a quick change, but as of this morning, my old number is giving a no longer avaliable tone and no longer works.

I phoned NTL this morning and they said that the old house number has been disconnected and that the transfer of it to my new house will take place within 24 hours, well those 24 hours are nearly up and it still isn't working.

Does anyone know how long it usually takes or have they made a cock up somewhere? If so is there someone here from NTL who can rectify it as I spend 45 minutes on hold earlier from my mobile!

Derek
08-11-2004, 21:56
As long as it's not moving to a different part of the network it should be done fairly quickly.

What part of the UK are you calling from?

The number wasn't originally a BT number was it?

byron_hinson
08-11-2004, 21:57
Nope it's always been NTL

It's a Cambridge number 01223 and is still in Cambridge (5 mins away from the old house!!)

Derek
08-11-2004, 22:01
If it's only a few minutes away it unlikely (but not impossible!) to be on a different part of the network so should be able to transfer.

Hopefully someone from the Cambridge area should be able to check this for you.

No promises though, moving numbers can be a funny business. I can see me old house from my front window and BT couldn't transfer the number over when we moved. :(

Jonboy
08-11-2004, 23:39
dont give me these horror stories please :Yikes: :Yikes:
halloween has passed and i am about to transfer to a new home takeing tv + bb +same phone Number :disturbd: :disturbd:

byron_hinson
09-11-2004, 16:27
Well they said it could take upwards of three days to transfer over, yet they never gave us a temprorary number until now...was also told today i would be called back to be told exactly how long it will be for us before we get our old number back, well 7 hours later and still no call back - what a surprise.

byron_hinson
12-11-2004, 18:04
Another follow up - as of Wednesday we had the temporary number disconnected, after spending upwards of 2 1/2 hours on the phone (80% of that time on hold) I have spent about £40 on calling NTL and so far (as of today) we have got no futher.

I have been told (after 15 calls to different people in a week, mostly passed from one to the other) that it could be a fault on the line that has knocked out the temporary number, yet no one knows how long it will take for my original number to be transferred over, some say a day, some 72 hours others 2 weeks.

An engineers earliest visit is wedensday of next week which is gradually getting me even more annoyed as I used this number for calls to and from companies who I review games for.

I hate to say it but it seems that one member of staff from the other do not know what they are doing or how to get things sorted out. Currently I'm writing a letter to my local paper who have had others complaining about similar things in their letters column and I will be calling the local radio stations phone in about it either tomorrow or monday as strangly enough, I'm young, have just moved into a house for the first time and can't afford to be spending endless amounts of money on my mobile bill to be passed onto one person to the next at NTL none of which seem to know what to do.

byron_hinson
17-11-2004, 17:49
It gets better - The engineeer who was supposed to come by 6 hasn't turned up to fix the problem!!! Ok i guess it's time to cancel phone with NTL.

steven_azari
17-11-2004, 19:51
Ask them to telephone our switch to check the line, and then the number ports department to see the status of the number being moved. this should have been done.

these 2 departments can the csr if there are any problems. the csr should then call you back with an update on if there's a fault or not - in which if it is the faults department should deal with.

other than that it should just go through. I know it takes time, but I have seen numbers being ported, and the phone status not being set correctly to "pending create" which means that its all done, but the phone hasnt been activated automatically and needs to be refreshed from the customer service side.

either way you only need to say your problem to CSR. and if there's a fault they should go through to double check and then contact you to ask for an engineer. if the engineer doesnt turn up, they need to phone field support to see where the engineers are.

I would expect some sort of compensation for this :p: but dont quote me on that :p:

byron_hinson
17-11-2004, 21:27
I'll see what they say tomorrow. For the first time ever I expect compensation as not only have i not had a phone for a week I took the day off work to be here to make sure it got fixed.

Nidge
18-11-2004, 05:08
Last week I asked NTL to transfer my NTL phone number from my old house to my new one, I thought this was a quick change, but as of this morning, my old number is giving a no longer avaliable tone and no longer works.

I phoned NTL this morning and they said that the old house number has been disconnected and that the transfer of it to my new house will take place within 24 hours, well those 24 hours are nearly up and it still isn't working.

Does anyone know how long it usually takes or have they made a cock up somewhere? If so is there someone here from NTL who can rectify it as I spend 45 minutes on hold earlier from my mobile!

When I moved a few years ago mine was switched over after 6pm, they only have to check the green box at the end of your road then you are up and running.

poolking
18-11-2004, 07:47
I'll see what they say tomorrow. For the first time ever I expect compensation as not only have i not had a phone for a week I took the day off work to be here to make sure it got fixed.
I wouldn't bother with compensation, you won't get that much.

steven_azari
18-11-2004, 17:08
In regards to compensation for taking time off work, NTL would probably say that its your responsability for having someone at home during the time of installation, but since nobody turned up, they would only compensate for inconvenience.

it wouldnt be more than around £10... but its down to the csr thats dealing with the problem, they have a maximum of £30 credit limit, and have to be very strict about the usage of it. :erm:

byron_hinson
19-11-2004, 16:41
Still not heard anything more from NTL today as all their systems are supossidly down and they can't book me a new engineer. They say the first engineer who came to setup broadband here caused the problem, but thats all well and good but I'm only interested in getting a damn phone line!

byron_hinson
24-11-2004, 16:21
God almighty, how hard can it be to get this phone line up and running?
We'll yesterday we finally got an engineer round to fix the dead line, we have a temporary number again.

So I phone customer services like the engineer said to get the old number back onto our line, well after being transferred 5 times and being on hold 45 minutes I get someone who said we may not now get the number because it got disconnected...I did however state it was someone at NTL who made a cockup in the first place that made it get disconnected, she then said the old number will be up on our line by the morning but if there was a problem with it she would phone me.

I'm sure you can guess now, the number hasn't been transferred and I am yet again on hold for 30 minutes so far, I'm afraid it has now got to the point where complaints will go to both newspaper and the radio as it seems no one at NTL knows what they are doing.

poolking
24-11-2004, 18:13
I don't see what going to the papers or the radio is going to achieve? It is all to common knowledge that at times NTL's service can leave a lot to be desired.

Have you tried PMing those on here who work for NTL to see if they can assist?

byron_hinson
24-11-2004, 22:12
Noticed that when mentioned on the local radio station things get strangly fixed much quicker than trying to do things the proper way. I'm also expecting my last phone bill to be refunded, along with the line rental and I've been told I can request all my mobile calls during the time NTL screwed up our line should be refunded to me, something they are not likely to be too pleased about.

I've had enough of dealing with them on the phone, passed from person to person at least 50-60 times over the past few weeks with calls to NTL totalling over 6 hours and booked a whole day's holiday off work for an engineer to come out only for them not to come, with no apology about that either. Perhaps I should ask for my wasted days wages to be paid to me as well.

Neil
24-11-2004, 22:23
If your BT phone line goes down, they will divert all calls to your mobile at no extra cost to you, plus they give you the option of compensation depending on how long it was down for. :tu:

http://www.bt.com/customerservices/cust_details.jsp?parentcat=cs_cs_guarantee&childcat=linkcs_cs_guarantee_our_guarantee

You can also report/track the fault ticket online: http://www.bt.com/faultplace/faultpage.jsp?menu_item=repair_01&obsPage=/faultplace/faultpage.jsp&obsType=LINK&obsNoSee=Y&obsOID=19597&vStore=1170 :tu:

Do ntl offer any of that up front & in writing? (No)

Why anyone would want an (inferior in every way) ntl phone line is beyond me. :shrug:

byron_hinson
25-11-2004, 16:29
Simple reason for me is that i really wanted my old number otherwise I would have dumped NTL when they first did this mess up. I am now likely to switch to BT as yet again this morning it hasn't been done and I've just spoken to another women who even said she can't understand why no one who she has to e-mail the request for the number change isn't doing what they are supposed to be doing.

It's my fault for not changing to BT when the first problem occured I know, but when you had been with NTL for 6 years and not had a phone problem I didn't expect all of this and can now understand why people say they are in such a shambles.

Neil
25-11-2004, 16:46
Simple reason for me is that i really wanted my old number otherwise I would have dumped NTL when they first did this mess up. I am now likely to switch to BT as yet again this morning it hasn't been done and I've just spoken to another women who even said she can't understand why no one who she has to e-mail the request for the number change isn't doing what they are supposed to be doing.

It's my fault for not changing to BT when the first problem occured I know, but when you had been with NTL for 6 years and not had a phone problem I didn't expect all of this and can now understand why people say they are in such a shambles.

Why could you not have ported your number from ntl to BT?? :confused:

Shaun
25-11-2004, 16:49
Why anyone would want an (inferior in every way) ntl phone line is beyond me. :shrug:

You can also track some orders through their website too:

https://www.cs-server1.bt.com/hhway-cls/com.bt.icm.opt.OptSummary?CUSNUM=xxxxxxx&TELNUM=xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Just replace the first XXXXXXX with your cust number and the second with your phone number.

Great when you have ADSL installed. :)

slowcoach
25-11-2004, 19:15
If your BT phone line goes down, they will divert all calls to your mobile at no extra cost to you, plus they give you the option of compensation depending on how long it was down for. :tu:

http://www.bt.com/customerservices/cust_details.jsp?parentcat=cs_cs_guarantee&childcat=linkcs_cs_guarantee_our_guarantee

You can also report/track the fault ticket online: http://www.bt.com/faultplace/faultpage.jsp?menu_item=repair_01&obsPage=/faultplace/faultpage.jsp&obsType=LINK&obsNoSee=Y&obsOID=19597&vStore=1170 :tu:

Do ntl offer any of that up front & in writing? (No)

Why anyone would want an (inferior in every way) ntl phone line is beyond me. :shrug:Of course there is always the exception, and I have it... full speed broadband day or night, clearest phone line I have ever had, yes, NTL is the easy winner, but I think we all know that really. :Yes:

Neil
25-11-2004, 19:18
Of course there is always the exception, and I have it... full speed broadband day or night, clearest phone line I have ever had, yes, NTL is the easy winner, but I think we all know that really. :Yes:

We were talking about phone lines....;)

1) Can you get Caller I.D on your super smashing great ntl line?

2) Will ntl divert all your landline calls to you mobile for free in the event you line is dead?

3) Do they offer you the choice of compensation?

Answers....

1) Unlikely.

2) No.

3) No.

Remind me how ntl "win" in the phone line market again would you? :angel:

slowcoach
25-11-2004, 20:37
We were talking about phone lines....;)

1) Can you get Caller I.D on your super smashing great ntl line?

2) Will ntl divert all your landline calls to you mobile for free in the event you line is dead?

3) Do they offer you the choice of compensation?

Answers....

1) Unlikely.

2) No.

3) No.

Remind me how ntl "win" in the phone line market again would you? :angel:1) Don't need it because I can actually hear who is calling now, I did need it with BT as it was the only way I had an indication of who was calling.

2) I don't/won't have a mobile, when I am out of the office I am free, no ones life depends on me being available 24/7.

3) Providing I don't have to pay for what I am not getting that's fine with me, I despise the American compensation culture which has invaded this country, everyone trying to screw everyone else where the only winners are the lawyers.

If a phone line is not clear then all the other additional features and services are pointless.
I know people these days will accept anything, you only have to hear people on their mobiles shouting so loud you wonder if the mobile is actually necessary, always reminds me of my BT line after it was upgraded to ADSL.

The fact that I am happier with NTL than I was with BT is all that matters to me, I don't expect everyone else to have the same view but whatever views others have will not make any difference to the quality of my phone line but people should know that moving to BT can result in a bad line just as moving to NTL could result in a bad line, the thing is I made the right move I just wish I had done it sooner.

Neil
25-11-2004, 21:22
I didn't ask you if you wanted or needed those options-I asked if you could get them.....? ;)

slowcoach
26-11-2004, 01:32
As I didn't want them it would have been rather pointless checking if I could have them, but as you originally answered your own questions I will take it as read that I can't have them.:cry:
The only options I DID want were high speed broadband and a clear phone line, neither of which could be provided to me by BT :no:, at the end of the day it is the basics which matter. If both companies offered exactly the same basic service then the deciding factor for many people would be based on the additional options available admittedly.

Reading the posts I see that not everyone gets a good service from NTL and I was apprehensive about changing to them after what I had read on various forums, my BT phone line was bad but my ADSL was very good albeit limited to 512Kbs, in the end NTL provided me with a service which was better than I expected and better than that which BT provided, so NTL has to be the winner in my case just as BT will be the winner in the opinion of others and probably rightly so in their case.

If BT hadn't been so tight by repairing the outside wiring a number of times rather than replacing it I would most probably never thought of leaving them, but does a company which repairs (three times) rather than replace 3 metres of cable really deserve to keep a customer, especially when the repair leaves the system sub standard. Penny wise, Pound foolish comes to mind.
But hey, it's only a telephone line after all, life would go on without it, and in all probability a better life.

byron_hinson
30-11-2004, 16:04
Now they are laying the blame on the new computer system they have started to use. Unfortuantly I did not get to argue with them as they left me a message on my mobile. Why argue? Well for a start the change was due to happen before they did their system upgrade so it's basically a load more rubbish from them.

If anyone helpful from NTL here mind's sending me a PM to help me out i'd be pleased.

Jonboy
07-12-2004, 00:20
well chaps my nightmare seems to have begun as you know from my previous post i am due to move this friday ntl have been given plenty of notice arrangements were made for the tv phone and modem to go off this thurs and be reconnected at the new place fri i had a phone call this afternoon from a engineer wanting to come and pick up the stb no i said we dont loose connection till thurs thought no more of it settled down to watch the jungle final flipped to itv 2 watched that bit then flipped to 300 to watch OFAH greeted with the message unsubscribed channel infact all my channels are now off phone still on at present and so is modem i will keep you informed i subscribe to family pack incase you are wondering here we go here we go herewe go oh oh oho