PDA

View Full Version : New BB Installation - How many days & installation location ?

mchu6am4
08-11-2004, 10:08
Hi All,

How many days do ntl usually take to install a cable modem based broadband connection? I do not currently have (& never had) any ntl services connected.

The reason I'm asking is I'm off work this week and want to be present at home when they come to install it. Do they just put the cable in and hand over the modem & cd (for you to install software etc. yourself) ?

Further, is it possible to book an installation date/time (ie. Saturday or after 4pm weekday etc.) ?

Do you have a choice of installation location in your house (particular room etc.) ?

Thanks in advance, Ash :help: :dig: :spin:

Halcyon
08-11-2004, 11:50
Firstly, Welcome to the forums :)

It takes one day maximum for them to do the instalation which is normally this:

1) Dig up your garden and lay cable about 10cm deep.

2) They install the little brown box. I have mine in my garage. Saves having to drill into the house. Wires then go from that and drill through your wall to whereever you want your phone to be.
Then they put in any additional sockets, TV sockets, or whatever else you asked for.

3) You can normally then choose brown or white cable and they lay it and pin it down upto your PC where you will probably have a little white box attached.
They then give you the modem and it comes with ethenet and USB cables so its up to you.
Youl be given a starter pack with your username and password and then its just a matter of registering and following instructions.

Thats how it was for me anyway.

As for instalation times, I remember being told either AM or PM.
It can be really annoying sometimes. Don't know if they have got better on time keeping recently, maybe.

yer nice one
09-11-2004, 19:16
Hi there, First post and all that :) sorry to jump in, but...

How do they get the cable into the garden in the first place ? would NTL dig up the concrete drive, or just tack the cable to the wall along the drive,

Im thinking about getting NTL, but I dont want them to dig up the drive, and I see no other way for them to get the cable into my house,

If I place an order, and they come round to install it, can I still cancel if the only way was to dig up the drive ?

cheers

hairy_mick
09-11-2004, 19:48
i have seen it done where they tack along the wall so as not to dig up the drive i am sure they would do it as its an easy job.

Graham F
09-11-2004, 19:51
Hi there, First post and all that :) sorry to jump in, but...

How do they get the cable into the garden in the first place ? would NTL dig up the concrete drive, or just tack the cable to the wall along the drive,

Im thinking about getting NTL, but I dont want them to dig up the drive, and I see no other way for them to get the cable into my house,

If I place an order, and they come round to install it, can I still cancel if the only way was to dig up the drive ?

cheers

Hi and :welcome: to the site, if you ring ntl sales and say you would like a survey done to show how they will get the cable to the house. Someone will come round and talk to you about it and show what they would plan to do. You would be under no obligation to go ahead with anything if you did this!!

HTH :)