PDA

View Full Version : homemove woe

evilind
06-11-2004, 21:15
Hi, I moved house last weekend and obviously had an engineer out to transfer my services to the new house. My bradband connection was no bother but I have rang c/services 3 times now about my stb saying that I have not subscribed to any of my usual cable channels. Each time I give the card number and the stb number from underneath it to the person. It says smart card has not been registered to stb. Then an error code I presume saying a008. Each time the s/s person said they would email the relevant department and it would be resolved within the hour! Obviously it is not. Does anyone know is there some sort of tweak I can do myself to help my 'bored with saturday night viewing on the terrestrial channels' to help myself. Thanks. :)

Jonboy
06-11-2004, 21:58
well i hope you get sorted soon i myself am in the throes of moving hse
i have rang ntl and advised of move dates etc i just hope things go to plan as from what i have heard from other people i know who have changed hse address etc ntl track record stinks ( i hope not ) i have given them four weeks advance notice to get it sorted GULP :disturbd:

Gogogo
07-11-2004, 12:59
well i hope you get sorted soon i myself am in the throes of moving hse have rang ntl and advised of move dates etc i just hope things go to plan as from what i have heard from other people i know who have changed hse address etc ntl track record stinks ( i hope not ) i have given them four weeks advance notice to get it sorted GULP :disturbd:

Well, if it's any comfort we last month moved home, gave about 14 days notice, isn't it 14 days normally,checked back 7 days later to see if everything ok, on installation day perfect, install techies called in the morning to check time of install with me, got everything set up perfectly within 40 minutes of arrival on time. Perfect!

;)

evilind
18-11-2004, 19:29
In relation to my original thread, It is now 18th November and I still do not have my ntl channels! Apparently because I transferred the same day as the upgrade started (ntl uprading their systems as probably everyone knows) my connection is hanging around somewhere waiting to happen. C/S said wait until tomorrow and then call them again if not. Does anyone know when their upgrades will be truly over please re. the digital television services please? The service status page only mentions b/band and dialup internet, nothing about television service. Thanks. :)

White Tiger
20-11-2004, 13:04
Moved house about a month ago - what a nightmare!

Had a 'morning' slot booked - the engineer turned up in the middle of the afternoon. I had rung up to chase it at midday, but obviously the return call to explain never materialised. In fact, I was on hold on call number 2 when the engineer eventually arrived.

I was completely unsurprised that he hadn't been told exactly what he was supposed to be installing. I had anticipated this, & rung a few days before to double check the instructions - no problem, everything confirmed. Still cocked it up though. In fairness, the engineer did everything anyway, & one of his workmates dropped in to help. Fine, all ok, so I stupidly thought.

Shortly after he left, both tv boxes stopped receiving digital. The next few days were unbelievably frustrating - call after call, on hold, passed between various departments, blah blah blah. God knows how many times I had to tell them my new address (for them not to change it on their system), the serial numbers of both boxes & smart cards (for them not to make a note of them on the system). It'll be reconnected within the hour/afternoon/day etc etc. Eventually, one box started working, but the other ended up on a fault call for an engineer to come out 5 days later (& we should have been grateful it was only 5 days!). Guess what, a couple of days later it started working for no apparent reason. I cancelled the engineer the day before, to be on the safe side. So everything's working.

I received a bill, sent to my old address, but redirected by the post office. It was complete rubbish - charges for a period we'd already payed for & charges for services we don't receive. Back on the phone to customer services.....zzzzzzzzzz. Firstly, why were they STILL sending stuff to my old address? Er, um, it was correct on the system, but...... We went through the bill, & the incorrect charges were cancelled. I also checked that our existing direct debit was still active, & the (now correct) payment would go out as expected. All seemed to be ok.

The very next day, I had a call from ntl asking me to pay the (old incorrect) bill immediately. It was a miracle I didn't completely lose it, having to explain it all again, knowing there was a good chance I'd be wasting my breath.

The situation now - direct debit payment due in a week. I'd be amazed if it goes out, & I anticipate another call from them next week threatening to cut us off if we don't pay the (old incorrect) bill.

What amazes me is why I've put up with all this breathtaking incompetence. Surely the hassle of changing to Sky/BT would be worth it. Actually, I would imagine binning ntl is next to impossible, as they are incapable of doing anything without f**king it up.

:mad: + :disturbd: + :( + :td: x 100000000

evilind
25-11-2004, 07:16
Moaning everyone - and yes I am still waiting for my telly channels to kick in! Yesterday I noticed that the 1471 on my landline was not available so rang c/services. Spoke to a nice scottish lad who said there was a fault in my areaof Nottingham and if it was still not working in 24 hours to ring back.Does anyone know if this is the same fault that could be affecting my television channels? :)

arcamalpha2004
25-11-2004, 12:27
Moaning everyone - and yes I am still waiting for my telly channels to kick in! Yesterday I noticed that the 1471 on my landline was not available so rang c/services. Spoke to a nice scottish lad who said there was a fault in my areaof Nottingham and if it was still not working in 24 hours to ring back.Does anyone know if this is the same fault that could be affecting my television channels? :)

Get a recorded delivery letter off to their managing director, your tv has been down over a month due to their upgrading the systems? bull **** !
Somebody somewhere within that nightmare of a company needs their backside wellied.

White Tiger
07-12-2004, 12:44
Just thought I'd add a bit to my previous post 3 above.

The direct debit didn't go out, so best ring up to sort it out. Blood pressure rising already. There appeared to be no record whatsoever of the previous phonecall I made, sorting out the incorrect bill. It still said the same amount, & of course no direct debit.

So I go through the process once more. I also forgot to mention in my other post that there was another account that was just for tv + additional box still showing an outstanding bill, although this had been transferred to my other account (originally just for phone + BB). By the end of the phonecall, the defunct account was credited back, the incorrect charges cancelled, & I would receive a call from the manager to confirm. The return call never happened, despite leaving my mobile number as requested by the rep.

Best give them a call then. The bill had actually been changed! By the wrong amount. Bizzarely (sp?) the old account was now in credit, but of course, not enough to offset the other one. Still following? The credit was transferred to the live account, & the incorrect charges removed yet again. The outstanding balance would be carried forward to my next bill, due in a couple of days.

This morning I get a final reminder for an amount even more ridiculously high than the one I'd been trying to sort out for weeks. No breakdown to show what I was being charged for, just a threat to discontinue services (note: this sounds like a blessed relief!). Although it got to my new address (remember, this started with us moving house), it was still partly wrong, & my name was the wrong way round.

Best give them a call then (my new catchphrase). The system showed the correct amount this time, & the rep couldn't explain the amount on the final reminder, apart from it being a 'computer error', so I was to ignore it. Priceless. I paid the bill by credit card, so my balance is zero.

What will be on my next bill? Where will it be sent? Will I be contacting disconnections?

What a f**king shambles of a company :mad:

pmd
08-12-2004, 17:16
A new story:

You guys are lucky you've had any contact from ntl at all about your move! I filled in the form on the website on what must have been the 24th of November - too little notice for a move last week I know, but it went fairly smoothly last year so I was lulled into a fall sense of security ;-)

The previous owners of my new place had all the services I have (phone, TV, broadband), so nothing much for ntl to do apart from send an engineer to plug my box in, right?

I rang ntl on the 3rd to ask what was happening with them move. I was told someone would ring the next day. Right...

So I called again yesterday. The girl took my details again (the 3rd time, where they go I don't know) and said that someone would call by the end of the week. Why couldn't she arrange it there and then? How long does it take to suggest a date for the engineer to come and for me to say 'yes'? 2 minutes at most.

So here I am, 2 weeks after I told them, without even a suggestion of when it'll get done. Why can't they activate the phone line, at the very least?

White Tiger
09-12-2004, 11:38
Had so more correspondance from ntl today - redirected from my old address :rolleyes: .

Still a f**king shambles of a company :mad:

quadplay
09-12-2004, 13:00
pmd - were you calling customer services on the 052 2000 number, or the Moves & Transfers department, which has a separate number?

pmd
09-12-2004, 18:07
pmd - were you calling customer services on the 052 2000 number, or the Moves & Transfers department, which has a separate number?
I was calling the main 052 2000 number, then pressing 4 to go to the Moves department. Then I'd wait for nearly 30 minutes and get through to someone whose job it seemed was to do nothing but fob off callers like me and take their details for the umpteenth time. Why she couldn't arrange a date there and then I don't know.

It's friday evening. So one more day before 'definitely before the end of the week' expires.

Out of interest, I called the new customers line and asked how long it would take to get a new account set up. Early next week I was told, but I'd lose my phone number and have to register for ntlworld again. Why can't it be that easy? I guess because I'm an existing customer (8 or 9 years if you include the time when it was Cambridge Cable here) then they're not interested in providing me with good service. A colleague who moved house the same day as me was connected the following day because he's a new customer. Grrr..

steven_azari
11-12-2004, 15:53
white tiger thats the funniest way I've seen someone express their anger in a long time!

your sarcasm is genious :D

at least things look like their sorted... for now...

pmd
13-12-2004, 20:08
Things still aren't any better, in fact, they've got worse.

As expected, noone from the home moves department called me by the end of last week. I tried to call them, but got an engaged tone. I rang regular CS and they couldn't get through either, but gave me a number to call direct - 0800 052 0261.

At no point since Friday have I been able to get through to the home moves department, using either the number above or the normal CS number. All I get is an engaged tone, or a message saying they're closed.

I'm at a loss as to what to do next. I registered my move nearly 3 weeks ago. I have no phone, broadband or cable TV. My Tivo has run out of TV guide information due to not being able to make a daily call :-( My GPRS bill is going to be huge too (having to use that for a net connection).

Is there anyone from ntl here who would be kind enough to find out what on earth is going on with the Cambridge area home moves department. Please. Or better still, arrange the move themselves as Cambridge appear to be incompetent.

I'm on the verge of cancelling my services and taking out a new contract. If I'd done this when I first thought of it last week I'd probably be hooked up by now...
:mad:

Neil
13-12-2004, 20:33
Things still aren't any better, in fact, they've got worse.

As expected, noone from the home moves department called me by the end of last week. I tried to call them, but got an engaged tone. I rang regular CS and they couldn't get through either, but gave me a number to call direct - 0800 052 0261.

At no point since Friday have I been able to get through to the home moves department, using either the number above or the normal CS number. All I get is an engaged tone, or a message saying they're closed.

I'm at a loss as to what to do next. I registered my move nearly 3 weeks ago. I have no phone, broadband or cable TV. My Tivo has run out of TV guide information due to not being able to make a daily call :-( My GPRS bill is going to be huge too (having to use that for a net connection).

Is there anyone from ntl here who would be kind enough to find out what on earth is going on with the Cambridge area home moves department. Please. Or better still, arrange the move themselves as Cambridge appear to be incompetent.

I'm on the verge of cancelling my services and taking out a new contract. If I'd done this when I first thought of it last week I'd probably be hooked up by now...
:mad:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=28

White Tiger
17-12-2004, 12:45
white tiger thats the funniest way I've seen someone express their anger in a long time!

your sarcasm is genious :D

at least things look like their sorted... for now...Thanks for the compliment :) - however, well, you can guess the rest :rolleyes: .

Received another bill today - redirected from my old address :shocked: . Here we go yet again, again, again, again...........ad infinitum. This bill was for my old account, which should have been cancelled/stopped/disconnected (pick your terminology). I was being charged for tv + additional box, charges which were also on my other account.

I really am at my whit's end. I don't want to go through Customer Services for the umpteenth time, partly because I know it'll not sort things out, & partly because I may lose my rag. I guess I should write/email one of the Directors, but I don't want this hanging over for weeks, I just want it sorted so I can enjoy christmas.

If someone out there could help me, I'd be hugely grateful. Pretty please!

Maggy
17-12-2004, 14:07
I think you are going to have to physically go to the nearest NTL centre and see someone face to face.Or write recorded delivery to someone further up the food chain.Someone like the boss.

White Tiger
14-01-2005, 15:46
The saga continues.........

Shortly after my above post, I emailed Vas Agridhiotis (one of the directors) with the whole story. Soon after, I had a reply from his assistant saying somebody would ring me from Customer Liaison. Hmmmmm........

Amazingly, I received a call a couple of days later from a chap called Ken Dugdale. Not sure where he's based, but it's a '0161' phone number. He was a very nice bloke, & we went through everything to correct the numerous cock-ups. At the end, he agreed to credit a month's TV/additional box/broadband totalling £62. Fabulous, I thought.

I received some mail today. The first one had all the correct charges, dates, credits etc, & was actually sent to the correct address!

Then they had to go & spoil it all (almost breaking into song there). The other letter was for my old (much cancelled) account trying to charge me for TV + additional box again, SENT TO MY OLD ADDRESS :Yikes: .

Give me strength :rolleyes:

Rang Ken Dugdale back, but he's on holiday - expecting a call back tomorrow.

On & on & on..........

NB as a Leeds United fan, I'm used to frustration & disappointment, otherwise I think I'd have broken something by now ;)

Shaolin_Dragon
24-01-2005, 00:39
Well, just to add to this whole mess, i moved home on the 18th dec..an engineer came out, set everything up at my new address...and everything was great...until...
i got a bill about a week ago, and i had been charged for two lots of broadband services...new address, and old address. Called up CS, and they transferred me to homemovers...they apologised and said that my broadband service was still active at my old address. So they said they would recredit the months charge and disconnect the service...i thought great..no problems... until i got hom from work on that day..my TV had been disconnected at my new address...
needless to say, i have been on the phone to CS pretty much every day trying to get my tv back on. Whats odd is that my phone and B/band are working fine!?
I've basically been a week without TV due to their cockup!! i've watched every DVD in the house!! They keep telling me they are putting through a reconnection request for my current address but still nothing. this was put in on thursday..well its sunday and still no TV..they reckon it will be on tomorrow, but who wants to bet it wont be? i just hope they dont expect to charge me for the week i have had no tv...!!!
will keep you posted if i get my tv back on tomorrow!:confused:

poolking
24-01-2005, 07:01
Even though it is a bad show from NTL. TV isn't an essential service and CS isn't open on a Sunday, so I doubt anyone would have been there to reconnect your TV service.

Shaolin_Dragon
24-01-2005, 13:26
Oh i agree with you about it being sunday, and no-one to reconnect me then, but my main gripe is, the reconnection requrest was put in on thursday, and since then, they have kept passing me from pillar to post when i call to check whats happening. In all fairness, i wasnt expecting it to come on yesterday, but i am hoping its back on today, otherwise its back to CS i go!! So far (at 13.25) its not on...but it might be after i get back from work!! fingers crossed!

Shaolin_Dragon
24-01-2005, 17:28
I DONT BELIVE IT!!! I now have to go back through homemovers as they havent ported my tv service to my new address??!! which doesnt make sense as the tv was working fine up until last wednesday at my new address!! So much for my reconnection!! :mad:
I'll let you know in about another month whether my tv is turned on by then!

Gareth
25-01-2005, 01:06
Shaolin, you story sounds remarkably similar to mine. I had problems non-stop after I moved and (you're not gonna like this) it has been on-going for 6 months now. Despite constant reassurances this would be resolved each month when I called NTL, they were unable to rectify their mistake... even if I explained it in words of one syllable!

The funny thing is that when I last spoke to one of their CS, even he felt sorry for me and said I should be on their Christmas Card list considering the number of problems I've had and the number of calls I'd had to make :D

In the end, I ditched the tv and phone from ntl, and went with Sky & BT. When NTL works, it works very well. The morale of my story was I shouldn't have moved house ;)

Doofy
25-01-2005, 01:25
And i thought my simple telephone problem was a farce you people really do have my sympathy. I have followed in gareths footsteps i ditched NTL tv for sky ages ago, Best decision i made and i have just ditched there phone service BT goes in next month. Just waiting to see if they can cock up my one remaining service and i will be off with that as well. Good luck

Shaolin_Dragon
25-01-2005, 12:24
Well, i dont really want to give up just yet..I'm going to give them a month to sort it..if. after that, they still havent sorted it..then i'm going to have to see about switching. after all, its not my phone bill when i call them!!...you would have thought, with a company as large as NTL is, that they can sort out their own foul-ups. But apparently not.. What is quite funny tho, is i havent had a bill yet for last months tv service..if i dont pay it, what are they going to do?? cut me off?? well, thats already happened!!!!
ah well, we'll see how it goes today..

Shaolin_Dragon
26-01-2005, 19:54
Well well well!! guess who has tv again!! they used my STB number to reconnect me!! i'm happier now, although not totally happy....i'm not on the right package, but that i can sort out another day..i'm missing all my movie channels and a couple of others, but thats not a problem..always got sky one to watch!!!
now lets see what the bill looks like if/when it comes in..i'm wondering if it has been sent to my old address?! I hope they havent charged me a reconnection fee and charged me for the week and a half of no tv!!!
Thanks NTL, you've got me happer than i have been in a week and a half!!:D

White Tiger
27-01-2005, 10:21
Thanks NTL, you've got me happer than i have been in a week and a half!!:D

Bet you'll regret saying that ;)

Seriously though, it comes to something when you're happy with a still sub-standard service. Another case of ntl battering somebody into submission - comes to us all eventually :(