PDA

View Full Version : Setting up an NTL account manually via STB..is it possible?

AdamD
06-11-2004, 20:38
Hello all

Well, my mum just registered with NTL and the guy came to setup the STB and all looked ok, except, they left us with the wrong CD, the cd was for the cable modem setup, not the STB, so instead of calling them up and waiting further, is there a way to setup an STB connection without the CD?

Marge
06-11-2004, 20:41
Yeah, plug in all the cables etc, open IE and type in this address "172.16.30.84" (without the quotation marks) and should take you the registration process

gavnad
06-11-2004, 21:24
thought the cd was for both?

AdamD
06-11-2004, 22:02
Thanks, that worked aok

No, the CD I got only works with Cable modem setups, it said I needed to call the freephone number to make it work with the STB.

homealone
06-11-2004, 23:02
Thanks, that worked aok

No, the CD I got only works with Cable modem setups, it said I needed to call the freephone number to make it work with the STB.

:welcome: to Cable Forum, AdamD :)

- I think Debsy42 is another candidate for an 'above & beyond' award on here, myself ;)

Marge
06-11-2004, 23:17
Glad it's working ok for you, sorry I didn't welcome you to the forum originally but was on the phone to my sis as well as typing.

So, rather belatedly :welcome:

AdamD
06-11-2004, 23:18
Hehe, no problem, thanks for the welcome.
Now all i've got to do, is sort out my wireless connection issues...ugh.

AdamD
07-11-2004, 03:09
I have a question guys/gals...

I originally plugged the laptop right into the STB to set it up, no problem
I then connected the wireless router to the STB, no problem, set it up as another computer, worked aok
I'm on my machine upstairs and although it picks up the LAN aok and i can access the router's controls, I can't for the life of me, access the internet
Now, I don't know wether it's some issue with the lan card and the router? I don't know
The pcmcia card in the laptop (working) and the router are the same make (Buffalo), but the lan card on this machine isn't the same make.
But if they were incompatible, I wouldn't be able to access the router, right?
Hrm, so I have to take this machine downstairs and manually register the lan's mac address? I didn't think i'd need to, as I thought all pc's would share the wireless router's macaddress?

BBKing
07-11-2004, 23:14
as I thought all pc's would share the wireless router's macaddress?

They will, yes, only the mac of the connected device (in this case the router) needs to be registered. I'd investigate the DHCP/NAT settings on the router.

AdamD
08-11-2004, 00:26
Yea I fixed it
I had to turn off the cable box for some reason, works ok now