PDA

View Full Version : [merged] The human mind

Bex
28-11-2003, 23:16
ok not sure whether this is the right place for this...someone emailed this to me (apologise if you have already seen it) and i think it is really interesting

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't
mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny
iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the
rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed
it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed
ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

keithwalton
28-11-2003, 23:19
sooo old news, it was floating around campus at the start of the semester which was 2months ago now. Still quite impressive though

K

Bex
28-11-2003, 23:21
sooo old news, it was floating around campus at the start of the semester which was 2months ago now. Still quite impressive though

K

:( sorry...

i think it shows how amazing the brain is, and that there is sooo much we do not know about our brains...and the psychological aspect and also the implications for teaching

Paul K
28-11-2003, 23:28

K
Indeed it has been about a for a couple of months but not everyone goes to your campus or to the site I saw it posted so its something that can still be interesting to others.
It's a strange thing indeed but probably explains why I can read some of the rubbish that my Nephew leaves notes on my PC about ;)

bopdude
11-03-2004, 02:40
Dyslexia Theory

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae.

The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Tlotlay amzanig, huh?

Did you read it word for word regardless ? I did, strange or what ? :D

kronas
11-03-2004, 02:41

no need for a researcher to tell us that, i knew that it was the case, yep i did read it mentally without correcting it.

Chris W
11-03-2004, 02:45
I read it anyway, but slower than normal and my brain did start to get a little confused :( still get the meaning though.

Aparently you can spead read a book by reading the five words on each side of the centre fold and still understand what is going on.... can't say i have tried it myself though!

Scrubbs
11-03-2004, 02:47
the other old one is

The pen is
is mightier than
than the sword

it doesn't say exactly what you think it does?

exuse typos too many bacardis

erol
11-03-2004, 02:54

I found it easier and quicker to read than the 'correct' version would have been :)

Then again I am dyslexic ;)

Chris W
11-03-2004, 02:57
my question is why do they make dyslexia such a hard word to spell! hardly seems fair does it!?!

kronas
11-03-2004, 03:00
my question is why do they make dyslexia such a hard word to spell! hardly seems fair does it!?!

the word 'dyslexia' is not hard to spell, hieroglyphics is ;)

bopdude
11-03-2004, 03:01
I found it easier and quicker to read than the 'correct' version would have been :)

Then again I am dyslexic ;)
I got about five words in before I realised :D

bopdude
11-03-2004, 03:05
Just a thought, if the mind can organise letters into words that make sense, what about pictures and other things, and how big a word can it cope with.

Gonna be up a while now thinking :D oh well, back to the fridge to see my good mate Mr. Carling :pp

ZrByte
11-03-2004, 03:22
Tihs is Nthonig oevr on The Rleic bdraos wrhee I uesd to psot trehe was a 10 pgae taerhd rnunnig wrhee auobt 70% of ppoele rpeelid in the smae mnaenr, the oehtr 30% wrhee ppoele cpmoianlnig auobt hahceedas :eek:

Translation.......

This is nothing, over on the relic boards where I used to post there was a 10 page thread running where about 70% of people replied in the same manner, the other 30% where people complaining about headaches :eek:

bopdude
11-03-2004, 03:34
Tihs is Nthonig oevr on The Rleic bdraos wrhee I uesd to psot trehe was a 10 pgae taerhd rnunnig wrhee auobt 70% of ppoele rpeelid in the smae mnaenr, the oehtr 30% wrhee ppoele cpmoianlnig auobt hahceedas :eek:

Translation.......

This is nothing, over on the relic boards where I used to post there was a 10 page thread running where about 70% of people replied in the same manner, the other 30% where people complaining about headaches :eek:

LOL read it all barring one word, battled with relic :shrug:

ZrByte
11-03-2004, 03:35
LOL read it all barring one word, battled with relic :shrug:

I struggled with headaches and I wrote the damn thing :D :dunce:

zoombini
11-03-2004, 09:12
I do nto find tsi fnuny, ti si not nic fo you to take the sips of slysdexics.

Oh og no thenm ti si.... :D

Things like IEspell are so wonderfully helpful when you sffuer from ti, especially when your having a dab yad.

bopdude
11-03-2004, 09:24
I do nto find tsi fnuny, ti si not nic fo you to take the sips of slysdexics.

Oh og no thenm ti si.... :D

Things like IEspell are so wonderfully helpful when you sffuer from ti, especially when your having a dab yad.
LOL, I can't help reading your sig without slipping into the voice of the policeman from Allo Allo :pp :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

gary_580
11-03-2004, 10:33
i write like that all the time!!! and then use edit. lol

IVe seen that before, its true you can understand it, but the brain does work slower

snodvan
11-03-2004, 10:34
Dyslexia Theory

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae.

The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Tlotlay amzanig, huh?

Printed this and showed it to my wife who is not a born English speaker and who did not speak any English 10 years ago. read it without problem and was AMAZED. Interesting

zoombini
11-03-2004, 13:29
Yeah, my sig has been that way for a while, when I get tired & stressed my ability to check my spelling goes all haywire, as does the spelling.

Russ
06-11-2004, 14:41
I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cuold aculalty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg

The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aodccrnig to a rscheearch at

Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dnsoe't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a

wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer

be in the rghit pclae.

The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a

porbelm.

Tihs is bcuseae the hmuan

mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Azmanig huh?

yaeh and I awlyas tghuoht slpeling was ipmorantt !!!!!!!!

Chris
06-11-2004, 14:45
good gerif, it atclluay wkros! :spin:

Russ
06-11-2004, 14:56
Srmat asre!!

Plonking
It's cool, these clever guys called McClelland & Rumelhart made a neural network model of it in the late 80s, with very impressive results :) - it could also learn grammar as well, in its own special way :Yikes:

marina
Shame the memory is not as good though......... ;)

Paul
06-11-2004, 14:57
been psoted befroe :)

Xaccers
06-11-2004, 14:58
It's all greek to me

Electrolyte01
06-11-2004, 14:59
Wehre? I dno't rmemeber sieing it bforee :erm:

danielf
06-11-2004, 15:01
It's cool, these clever guys called McClelland & Rumelhart made a neural network model of it in the late 80s, with very impressive results :) - it could also learn grammar as well, in its own special way :Yikes:

1981 to be precise :)

marina
06-11-2004, 15:06
Wehre? I dno't rmemeber sieing it bforee :erm:Shame the memory is not as good though......... ;):LOL:

There have been a few posted that were very similar if not the same but maybe you weren't a member at the time :)

Graham M
06-11-2004, 15:13
ooo vrey celevr!

Paul
06-11-2004, 15:55
been psoted befroe :)
Wehre? I dno't rmemeber sieing it bforee :erm:See ;

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=4682

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=9253

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?p=218277

I feel a merge coming on soon ... ;)

Maggy
06-11-2004, 16:35
See ;

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=4682

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=9253

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?p=218277

I feel a merge coming on soon ... ;)

Or should that be a ermge,greme,remge or emerg?

Incog.

Russ
06-11-2004, 16:37
No, it would be 'mrege', 'mgree' or 'mrgee', you need to keep the first and last letters the same ;)

Maggy
06-11-2004, 16:42
No, it would be 'mrege', 'mgree' or 'mrgee', you need to keep the first and last letters the same ;)

And I thought French was bad enough!

Does it work in another language I wonder? :scratch:

Paul
06-11-2004, 16:59
No, it would be 'mrege', 'mgree' or 'mrgee', you need to keep the first and last letters the same ;)Mreged :D

Plonking
06-11-2004, 18:22
1981 to be precise :)

lol, i had remembered it as 1989 - close enough I guess :P

Russ
06-11-2004, 18:23
Mreged :D

Git :p:

Paul
06-11-2004, 18:24
Git :p:My pleasure :PP: