PDA

View Full Version : Doesn't it just annoy you....

Salu
05-11-2004, 15:52
....when you are a pedestrian just about to cross over a road that intersects the path you are walking on and a motorist wants to drive into that road at the same time....
What annoys me is when the motorist waves you to cross with a superior expression as if they are "granting" you permission to cross....as if they are in supreme control and are "allowing" you to cross. Just because they have the big car....!

I have nothing against car drivers per se, I have often been in this position and the driver has smiled and graciously beckoned me to cross. No problem there. Its the smug wave that gets me.

Rant over.

Paul
05-11-2004, 16:01
If you are crossing the road then surely they *are* giving you permission, cars have the right of way on a road, and arguing with one, even at 20mph is generally a bad idea.

Martin
05-11-2004, 16:19
This happened to one woman and she got knocked down by a car that was overtaking, the bloke hadn't noticed!! My rule is never wave anyone accross the road, its upto them then!!!!

Salu
05-11-2004, 16:24
I thought it was the pedestrian's right of way?

The car was turning right from a major road into a minor one. I was walking on the main road across the minor one.

Bifta
05-11-2004, 16:27
....when you are a pedestrian just about to cross over a road that intersects the path you are walking on and a motorist wants to drive into that road at the same time....
What annoys me is when the motorist waves you to cross with a superior expression as if they are "granting" you permission to cross....as if they are in supreme control and are "allowing" you to cross. Just because they have the big car....!

I have nothing against car drivers per se, I have often been in this position and the driver has smiled and graciously beckoned me to cross. No problem there. Its the smug wave that gets me.

Rant over.

I don't know about you, but I've got far more interesting things to get annoyed about.

Salu
05-11-2004, 16:29
I don't know about you, but I've got far more interesting things to get annoyed about.

You seem to be pathologically annoyed

Chris
05-11-2004, 16:30
/ahem ... :nono: play nicely now. :)

Xaccers
05-11-2004, 16:36
If you are on the road then the car has to give way to you.
If you have not stepped out then you must give way to the car.
Of course, if you don't follow the green cross code and step out right in front of the car and he hits you, then it's your own fault.
Now, as for the smug grin, perhaps that's how the driver grins, making an over the top expression to ensure you can see it through the windscreen

Salu
05-11-2004, 16:38
Now, as for the smug grin, perhaps that's how the driver grins, making an over the top expression to ensure you can see it through the windscreen

Possibly but you must have seen this sanctimonious grin yourself sometimes surely?

orangebird
05-11-2004, 16:39
I'll abide by the highway code, and always observe pedestrian crossings etc to be safe, but as far as I'm concerned otherwise, I pay enough tax to drive on the roads ( :mad: )and will always assume right of way.....

Halcyon
05-11-2004, 17:21
I wave back.

Kliro
05-11-2004, 17:37
I'd prefer if they carried on........ let you cross when its clear.....

You never know why hes grinning, maybe hes sat on something....

Xaccers
05-11-2004, 17:58
Possibly but you must have seen this sanctimonious grin yourself sometimes surely?

I drive.
If god had meant for us to walk he wouldn't have invented roads :D

And I try to be courtious myself, just a pleasant smile and a lifting of one hand, or a cheeky smile if it's a lady ;)

Stuart
05-11-2004, 18:18
If you are crossing the road then surely they *are* giving you permission, cars have the right of way on a road, and arguing with one, even at 20mph is generally a bad idea.
It's a long time since I read the highway code, but I thought the pedestrian had right of way, even in the road. Having said that, there are a few drivers who assume cars have the right of way even on pavements.

Actually, one thing that does annoy me. If you are on a rush hour train from London (these are usually packed) and a cyclist gets on, complete with bike and proceeds to take up a large chunk of the carriage. It is so tempting to ask them to ride the bike home instead of taking up the space of three passengers on the train.

Bifta
05-11-2004, 18:42
You seem to be pathologically annoyed

Is that your professional medical opinion? If so, I hope you're not really employed in the health sector.

Electrolyte01
05-11-2004, 18:53
I hate it when I'm at college waiting to cross the road (at a PROPER crossing) and no one sodding waits for you to go. Also another annoying thing is when people go way over the line on traffic light crossing and give you a bad look when your crossing (even though the man is on green)

Certain people in cars are just plain ignorant.

Shaun
05-11-2004, 22:22
Is that your professional medical opinion? If so, I hope you're not really employed in the health sector.

With an attitude like his I've been hoping that for a long time! :erm:

Paul
05-11-2004, 22:26
Okay, enough of the personal comments please, any more will be deleted.

Theodoric
05-11-2004, 22:54

The car was turning right from a major road into a minor one. I was walking on the main road across the minor one.
Well, the Highway Code used to say (and probably still does) that if you have started crossing a road and a car turns into that road then it has to give way to you; you don't need the driver's or anyone's else's permission. On the other other hand, being in the right may be no consolation as you lie injured in the road!

Salu
05-11-2004, 23:21

I hope that is tongue in cheek, like my comment. :)

With an attitude like his I've been hoping that for a long time!

Why a long time? What are you harbouring against me?

Bifta
05-11-2004, 23:26
I hope that is tongue in cheek, like my comment. :)

But of course, shame "Scott" didn't see it that way, btw, are you Swiss?

Shaun
05-11-2004, 23:30
But of course, shame "Scott" didn't see it that way, btw, are you Swiss?

No, we're safe, he's not a doctor, as far as I can work out. Although when I asked what he did he ignored me! :erm:

daxx
05-11-2004, 23:32
The day pedestrians start paying road tax and insurance is the day I'll give way to one who's NOT on a crossing

*also includes cyclists but that would be :notopic:

Bifta
05-11-2004, 23:34
No, we're safe, he's not a doctor, as far as I can work out. Although when I asked what he did he ignored me! :erm:

Perhaps it's something acutely embarrasing ;)

Russ
05-11-2004, 23:35
The day pedestrians start paying road tax and insurance is the day I'll give way to one who's NOT on a crossing

I've been paying road tax and insurance for the last 11 years....

daxx
05-11-2004, 23:41
OK then I'll re-phrase

The day pedestrians start paying road tax and insurance for the right to use the roads (not including the area designated as pavement) is the day I'll give way to one who's NOT on a crossing

Bifta
05-11-2004, 23:46
OK then I'll re-phrase

The day pedestrians start paying road tax and insurance for the right to use the roads (not including the area designated as pavement) is the day I'll give way to one who's NOT on a crossing

So what are you going to do? Knock them down if they're in your way and not using a crossing? I think not somehow ....

tkiely
05-11-2004, 23:47
OK then I'll re-phrase

well they may annoy with their untaxed presence but like it or not you owe them the need to slow down or stop, you cant buy the right to hurt or kill people!

daxx
06-11-2004, 00:10
Not so much taxed as uninsured, I've lost count of the number of times some totally inconsiderate buggy pushing pedesterian or cyclist has 'accidentally' badly scratched the paintwork on my car whilst manouevering through a line of stationary traffic at a pedetrian crossing, traffic light rather than use the lights or crossing or in the case of the cyclist the extreme left of the road.

Cyclists and pedestrians need a reminder that they are subject to the Highway Code and the Road Traffic Acts as well as the 'cash cow' motorists.

Richard M
06-11-2004, 00:31

That is basically correct, whenever a car is turning around a corner they must stop if there is a ped crossing the road they are turning into...

Bifta
06-11-2004, 00:39
I've lost count of the number of times some totally inconsiderate buggy pushing pedesterian or cyclist has 'accidentally' badly scratched the paintwork on my car whilst manouevering through a line of stationary traffic at a pedetrian crossing

Lost count? Why? Do you have trouble counting? (or just enjoy over exaggerating?)

Cyclists and pedestrians need a reminder that they are subject to the Highway Code and the Road Traffic Acts as well as the 'cash cow' motorists.

Pedestrians and cyclists aren't generally wheeling a 1 ton bit of metal down the street at 30+mph, nor are cyclists. If a pedestrian walks into you, I'm sure there's a fairly good chance you'll survive the encounter and a cyclist will generally try to avoid hitting people too, being as it'll injure them just as much.

So what exactly is this reminder you have in mind?

Stuart
06-11-2004, 02:00

So do some motorists in my experience. Even Black Cab drivers. A couple of times I have nearly been hit by a Black Cab driver who appeared to forget he is not supposed to be driving on the pavement.

One other thing that irritates me is motorists (or cyclists) that do not read signs or road markings. The main road goes round a corner to the right, but it used to go straight. Now, it is clearly marked and signposted that the main road turns right, so technically, to go straight ahead you actually need to indicate left.. People rarely do this.

Salu
06-11-2004, 09:22

No I'm not a doctor. My Profile tells you what I do. I thought that was the point of profiles..?

I have done several medical jobs including nursing, paramedic and cardiophysiologist

Sorry I ignored you. I still can't work out what you've got against me. Why did you ignore my question?