PDA

View Full Version : Does this seem familiar to anyone?

Paul K
03-11-2004, 22:03
Anyone want to own up to this seeming familiar to them?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3965739.stm
The bit I found amusing:

She did not take her children to the cinema during half-term because she could not find out which films were showing at the local cinemas.

She planned a trip to Norfolk but did not check the weather because the only place she knows to look for weather information is the BBC website.

And she did not know where to go fossil-hunting on the trip because she could not type "fossils Norfolk" into Google.
Obviously I don't know anyone like that :angel:

Chimaera
03-11-2004, 22:04
Glad to hear it Paul - someone like that must be really sad! :D

Ramrod
03-11-2004, 22:20
I must say that BB is a part of my daily life in a big way. Info/news/entertainment etc......but that is a really sad woman--she could have looked in the papers for the info.....or used the phone :disturbd:

homealone
03-11-2004, 22:53
I must say that BB is a part of my daily life in a big way. Info/news/entertainment etc......but that is a really sad woman--she could have looked in the papers for the info.....or used the phone :disturbd:

gone to the Library ......

our council has had funding problems, recently

http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=151905&command=displayContent&sourceNode=151583&contentPK=11121954

:(

Maggy
04-11-2004, 01:44
There is an IT lesson that year 7 do.

They get a worksheet with 4 questions and they are then split into two groups.One half uses the library to try and answer the questions.The other half use the internet.

The question that usually foxes both of them is Where is the Sea of Tranquillity because the library group usually head for the atlas.Needless to say those on the internet answer the questions much faster than the ones using the library because even if they know which book to look in the poor things have never been taught to use an index. :rolleyes:

Incog. :)

Paul
04-11-2004, 02:26
The question that usually foxes both of them is Where is the Sea of Tranquillity because the library group usually head for the atlas.Needless to say those on the internet answer the questions much faster than the ones using the library because even if they know which book to look in the poor things have never been taught to use an index.I don't need either to answer that, nor would I have, as a 12 year old. Astronomy was one of my interests, and I watched all the moon landings. :)

dilli-theclaw
04-11-2004, 02:30
I don't need either to answer that, nor would I have, as a 12 year old. Astronomy was one of my interests, and I watched all the moon landings. :)

I know it's completely OT - but I just thought I'd say that I was considering ordering pick of the day for my boy :)

http://www.idealworld.tv/csp/isd/ideal/pod.csp

It's only £34.99 and coud well get him into telescopes. I know it's cheap and nasty, but he's not getting his hands on my telescope for a while yet.

Graham
04-11-2004, 02:51
I'm more interested in the comments:

"Of course, broadband in the UK is laughably slow compared to other parts of the world.

"In South Korea, Japan and Hong Kong normal connection speeds are measured in megabits, or millions of bits, a second rather than the thousands that we are supposed to be happy with."

When will our "service" providers get their acts together???

Maggy
04-11-2004, 08:42
I don't need either to answer that, nor would I have, as a 12 year old. Astronomy was one of my interests, and I watched all the moon landings. :)

To the present year 7 the moon landings are part of boring history. ;)

Damien
04-11-2004, 20:27
whats google?

Stuart
04-11-2004, 21:31
whats google?
You could always search google for the answer...

Stuart
04-11-2004, 22:02
Anyone want to own up to this seeming familiar to them?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3965739.stm
The bit I found amusing:

Obviously I don't know anyone like that :angel:

Of course you don't....