PDA

View Full Version : Error Message vtruckdbg when trying to register STB Broadband

Pea-Pod
31-10-2004, 17:32
Hi

I'm trying to register a family relative who has chosen to go for the 300Kbps Broadband via a STB. She has a new silver Samsung STB because of problems with her digital TV service. This has now been resolved.

When attempting to register her broadband using the Broadband Setup CD it comes up with the following error message VTruckDbg has encountered a problem and needs to close..... (see attachment for exact details) and then it closes down the CD and I unable to continue registering broadband.

I have tried to manually register using the following link http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jayone/INST_stb_ip_addresses.htm but when I type ipconfig from the CMD box it comes up with an IP starting with 80.xx.xx.xx and not 10.xx.xx.xx which I am told you need to have an IP starting with 10 because that is a private IP and Quote This is the IP address you should expect before completing the registration process.

This is further confirmed because when I type start.ntl into the browser it doesn't take me to a registration setup page and instead come back with a msn page telling me I could have meant something else.

I know it's a Sunday and this is the reason I cannot call Customer Support because they are not open today, should I wait until a weekday, or does anyone know a resolution I can take without calling NTL Customer Service???

With thanks
PP

Marge
31-10-2004, 17:38
80 ip addy would indicate the system thinks it's already registered. Ignore the CD and just try going straight online and see what happens

Paul K
31-10-2004, 18:11
I find that pointing the browser to www.bbc.co.uk normally kick starts the registration process, just make sure that in Internet Explorer, tools, Internet options, connection, you have selected "Never dial a connection" before trying to point the browser anywhere. Also check under "File" in the menu to make sure you are not browsing offline.
Did you install the CD and then it crash or did it crash prior to installing?
One thing to check is that the STB is enabled for Broadband, you can do this via the remote control, press Page up, page down and then the blue button. You should scroll across a couple of screen and then get to one with a QOS file, bronze,silver or gold. If it states no QOS then it's not enabled.

Chris W
31-10-2004, 19:28
As debs rightly said if you are getting an 80 ip, the computer provisioning has probably already been done. If you can browse ok, then you don't need to bother with the cd. If you need an email address setup, visit https://autoreg.autoregister.net and use serial number ntl ct8 cb487 and follow the instructions.

If you cannot browse, try ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew and see if it picks up the same ip. If it does, is it a usb adaptor that you are using?

Finally, if the vtuck error appears everytime you boot, or you are prompted to insert the broadjump cd, do the following:
go to start-> run-> msconfig -> startup
and remove:
vtagentreboot
cfd
recoverfromreboot
(you may find all or some of these)
then search the hard disk in all files and folders for "vtagent" (without quotes) and delete any results.
Reboot, and that will have got rid of it :)

MB

Pea-Pod
31-10-2004, 22:28
80 ip addy would indicate the system thinks it's already registered. Ignore the CD and just try going straight online and see what happensBlimey - I'd look stupid now if turned out to be that easy lol :D here's me trying to find a complex prognosis to what could turn out to be an easy solution. Anyway like I said, It's not my PC it's a family relative, so tomorrow after work I'll try and see what happens.

I find that pointing the browser to www.bbc.co.uk (http://www.bbc.co.uk/) normally kick starts the registration process, just make sure that in Internet Explorer, tools, Internet options, connection, you have selected "Never dial a connection" before trying to point the browser anywhere. Also check under "File" in the menu to make sure you are not browsing offline.
Did you install the CD and then it crash or did it crash prior to installing?
One thing to check is that the STB is enabled for Broadband, you can do this via the remote control, press Page up, page down and then the blue button. You should scroll across a couple of screen and then get to one with a QOS file, bronze,silver or gold. If it states no QOS then it's not enabled.Thanks for your reply, Paul - it just closed down from the CD at the stage were it said making a backup of my system files, and then came up that VTruckDbg error message - I tried the Page UP, Page Down, but didn't know you had to press the blue button, so will try that tomorrow aswell, after work.

As debs rightly said if you are getting an 80 ip, the computer provisioning has probably already been done. If you can browse ok, then you don't need to bother with the cd. If you need an email address setup, visit https://autoreg.autoregister.net (https://autoreg.autoregister.net/) and use serial number ntl ct8 cb487 and follow the instructions.

If you cannot browse, try ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew and see if it picks up the same ip. If it does, is it a usb adaptor that you are using?

Finally, if the vtuck error appears everytime you boot, or you are prompted to insert the broadjump cd, do the following:
go to start-> run-> msconfig -> startup
and remove:
vtagentreboot
cfd
recoverfromreboot
(you may find all or some of these)
then search the hard disk in all files and folders for "vtagent" (without quotes) and delete any results.
Reboot, and that will have got rid of it :)

MBCheers monkeybreath - I just presumed that when the engineer left the Broadband CD that I had to setup and intially register the service, didn't dawn on me that it would ready for surfing the internet. I will try previous suggestions tomorrow and see if it really is as easy as just opening up a browser and off you go. The Vtruck error message doesn't come up after every restart it's just when I try to follow the Broadband CD installation routine that the message comes up, but thanks for your suggestion on how to get rid of it, if it does ever show up again. :) No it's by ethernet straight into the RJ45 slot on the back of PC via the STB - not USB.

Pea-Pod
01-11-2004, 16:18
Sorted everyone!! It really was as easy has opening up Internet Explorer and off you go!! - I think I got into the "making a mountain out of a molehill" stage because the engineer had left a welcome letter behind with my relatives PID number and Password was set to New Password XX - and as I said he left the Setup CD.

So apparently he must have set the account up and registered it with the PID Number and I'm not sure what the password is now, maybe I'll have to tell my relative to call CS???

Did a Broadband Speed Test and it was coming back 286kbps so that's the 300k tier, which is as expected.

Anyway didn't go through all the registering process, it seems that NTL have just made the account live and ready for surfing. :D

Thanks again for your replies.