PDA

View Full Version : NN10 Poor Connection 4 Over A Week....

Earwig
31-10-2004, 18:03
I live in the NN10 area (Northants) and for the past week(Just over) I have seen increasingly poor performance from my connection.

Upload seems to be the biggest hit and at it's best seems to be in the range of 2-3KB/s.....( As I speak this seems to be hitting 29KB/s which is what I would expect, but I doubt this will last)

Download seems to be very irratic. Going from Max down to maybe 4-5KB/s.

Web pages seem to load partially. If atall. Pictures and banners seem not to appear at all and if they do they are very simplistic and not completed. (EG: The smilies on this page consist of a load of boxes with red crosses in the corner)

I have looked at the status page on NTL's website and it does indeed report scheduled maintanence but this was supposed to be over on the 25th oct.

Also I have noticed that when I get the biggest dropouts in performance the USB light on my modem appears to flicker like the U/S light. And occasionally I get the ding dong sound from windows as it loses hyardware and then detects it again. Could my problem be the modem and not the connection??
Or could complete loss of connection cuase windows to ding dong like you pulled a plug or something.

Thanks for any help.........:angel: <--------- The only smily I could see LMAO

EDIT: My upload has dropped off again. I am now getting 6-7KB/s
Will ring NTL tech about this now. I am paying nearly £40 PM and have had virtually no connection worth using for over a week.

Nemesis
01-11-2004, 12:01
keep us informed :tu:

threadbare
01-11-2004, 12:46
there is a low SNR issue in NN10 cable 6 upstream 0 (can't remeber which ubr though) it is a known problem and will cause the stmtoms you decribe, Earwig.

Tuftus
01-11-2004, 14:37
Keep us posted Earwig, I too am in NN10.

I have noticed that the connection has slowed a bit with pages taking ages to load but no drop outs as yet...

Tuftus

tomaw
04-11-2004, 20:16
Does anyone have any further information for this problem? I have a few customers are moaning about it.

Thanks,

Thorny
04-11-2004, 21:35
any known issues in NN5 area?
are my local exchanges busy? it would be nice to know if it was an oversubscribed thing than a problem my end.

keithfuller
05-11-2004, 09:28
NN29 'died' last night at about 2000 and was still out of action this morning at 0745. Usual stuff with flashing ready LED and/or sync off as well. Just when I thought it had settled down after the extended problems in August/September

Optimistically Keith

djbarnat
05-11-2004, 15:54
I'm in the NN10 area aswell and i have had an intermittent connection for the last 2 weeks. what are ntl playing at. They should notify customer if there is likley to be problems or if the know of any, cheeky is an understatement. If any one gets any news please post and i will also.;)

djbarnat
05-11-2004, 16:15
my intention there was not to offend any one from ntl. I'm ****ed off with the company as whole

Earwig
05-11-2004, 19:54
A little update for you people.

I have been without my connection now for 14 days.

I have tried to keep you up to date here but each time I try to post it fails.

Today is the 5th NOV and all seems to be ok for the moment.

I phoned the tech line at NTL (0845 650 0121) and they said that they were aware of the problem and said that there was NOISE on the line. (0800 0524315) This is a voice mail describing the fualt a little more.

As I write this my upload is hitting 35KB/s fairly often which is more than it used to do, so thanks for that NTL!!
I seem to be able to get onto internet sites ok now and have not found any problems so far. Download reached about 155KB/s which I am also fairly happy with. So hopefully they have sorted the problem out and all will be ok now.

They have also (Tech Support) told me to contact customer services to get a refund for the time I have been without my connection. They told me this wothout me even having to ask about it for which I was pretty impressed!!
I will however wait a couple of days before calling them just to make sure that my connection is actually secure once again.

The only gripe I do have is that I had to wait 50MINS to get through. With the same annoying message every 1Minute or so........Telling me how they were upgrading us all for free!!!

Hope anyone else with the problem is also sorted now....

Ignition
05-11-2004, 22:16
There were some load balancing issues with a Northampton uBR, following some work this should have resolved the issue. If you need a hand PM me with your IP address and will be happy to check out issues further with you.

Earwig
06-11-2004, 19:11
Well it seems that my problems have returned.

My upload has gone back to 0!!!

Download is a little sketchy again.

I thought I was all back to normal again with my upload speed hitting 35KB/s pretty regularly which it never used to before.
Suppose I was lucky to get a full day and a half out of it after the way things have been.

The only answer I seem to get from them now though is that they are aware of the problem but they can give me no indication whatsoever as to when it will get repaired?
Today is 15 days without any kind of service to speak of which in my mind is a pretty long time ?

Hopefully though I now seem to have little trouble with websites other than having to wait a couple of minutes per page so maybe they are getting somewhere after all........

Will keep you posted............