PDA

View Full Version : Tell me if you think this is a good idea

MadGamer
30-10-2004, 20:53
I want to purchase a disc cleaner to recover some damaged games of mine. Specifically UT2004 as i want to rejoin the PC Clan. Now if i was to buy one of those cleaners where you apply the cleaning stuff and then you put it into a disc shaped cd cleaner where you turn the handle to clean them. Would this be ok to do and what/if any would be the results? Would i be able to use my CD's again?

Your thoughts?

dilli-theclaw
30-10-2004, 20:56
I want to purchase a disc cleaner to recover some damaged games of mine. Specifically UT2004 as i want to rejoin the PC Clan. Now if i was to buy one of those cleaners where you apply the cleaning stuff and then you put it into a disc shaped cd cleaner where you turn the handle to clean them. Would this be ok to do and what/if any would be the results? Would i be able to use my CD's again?

Your thoughts?

I have managed to restore discs with a disc cleaner, but there's no gurantee...

Have you tried the following....

http://www.choicesvideo.co.uk/instoreservices.asp#fixadisc

Which is no fix no fee!!!!

Or, as you have your own serial number asked anyone here to do you a copy of the disc.

MadGamer
30-10-2004, 21:00
I have managed to restore discs with a disc cleaner, but there's no gurantee...

Have you tried the following....

http://www.choicesvideo.co.uk/instoreservices.asp#fixadisc

Which is no fix no fee!!!!

Or, as you have your own serial number asked anyone here to do you a copy of the disc. ahh thats the store where you have to pick up a fix a disc bag from your local shop isnt it. Umfortunatly i dont have a local shop that provides those bags. So i thought a CD Cleaner would be the best option.

dilli-theclaw
30-10-2004, 21:04
ahh thats the store where you have to pick up a fix a disc bag from your local shop isnt it. Umfortunatly i dont have a local shop that provides those bags. So i thought a CD Cleaner would be the best option.

Ahhh - well, I'm sure there's some nice person here who'll do you a copy of the DVD.

It's only 3.65gb and so will fit on a standard dvd rom

MadGamer
30-10-2004, 21:05
Ahhh - well, I'm sure there's some nice person here who'll do you a copy of the DVD.

It's only 3.65gb Yikes (its 5GB when installed, i have the DVD Edition BTW)

dilli-theclaw
30-10-2004, 21:06
Yikes (its 5GB when installed, i have the DVD Edition BTW)

So do I, but the 3.65 is compressed I presume.

edit I'm on about the size of the disc not the size of the install :)

dilli-theclaw
30-10-2004, 21:18
well I've just done a cd check.... and it didn't seem to have any deliberate bad sectors or anything, so presumably a copy shouldn't be too hard ;) ..

And as the patch removes the need for the dvd to be in the drive it seems pretty straight forward to me.

I'll post in here to let you know if it's a straight forward copy later on as I plan to make a backup of my disc.

MadGamer
30-10-2004, 21:44
well I've just done a cd check.... and it didn't seem to have any deliberate bad sectors or anything, so presumably a copy shouldn't be too hard ;) ..

And as the patch removes the need for the dvd to be in the drive it seems pretty straight forward to me.

I'll post in here to let you know if it's a straight forward copy later on as I plan to make a backup of my disc. ok :)

Theodoric
30-10-2004, 22:46
You could consider the toothpaste suggestion. (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=16311&highlight=toothpaste) (Post 3 onward.)

Dave Stones
30-10-2004, 22:47
or brasso... :erm:

Theodoric
30-10-2004, 22:50
or brasso... :erm:
I'm still considering whether or not this is a serious suggestion! :)

Dave Stones
30-10-2004, 22:57
i have actually heard of it as a serious suggestion before, and reports of it working. i'm thinking it might be slightly too abrasive though....

Theodoric
30-10-2004, 23:10
i have actually heard of it as a serious suggestion before, and reports of it working. i'm thinking it might be slightly too abrasive though....
Offhand, I'd guess that it's more abrasive than toothpaste.

SMHarman
31-10-2004, 00:22
Often it's the type of scratch, not the scratch itself, so an abrasive is not likely to cause a problem as long as you end up with scratched running from the edge to the centre, not in a circular linear manner.

dilli-theclaw
11-11-2004, 18:48
ok :)
I just installed it from a copy I did myself.