PDA

View Full Version : It's good to talk ... isn't it?

Chris
28-10-2004, 13:58
Right, this thread in response to a recent spate of postings in the general vein of 'Google is your friend'.

Yes, I know Gooooooooogle very often finds you something approximating an answer to any question you could ask, but isn't it nicer and more natural to want to ask your friends for help, or to find out what they think?

Should people be expected to Google for the answer to anything before, say, posting their need here at CF, or is the chance of a conversation and an interesting exchange of views sufficient reason in itself to just post away and see what other people think?

Your opinions, please. And no suggesting I go Gooogling for them. :p:

Jon M
28-10-2004, 14:03
Personally, I'd say yes they should google first.
Because that (googling), is what the "friend" will most likely have to do to answer your question unless they know the answer off the top of their head.. therefore in effect doing the work for you.

I'd ask a knowledgable friend if I'd used the normal options and come up blank.

See the etiquette guide in my signature for more reasons why this is the case.

Obviously, if a question was posed in a way that invited discussion or encouraged debate.. then the scenario would be very different.

*EDIT
Also, I find it hard to make the comparison between "talking" and typing a forum post. For me at least it takes far more time and effort to do the latter.
If it's my time and effort that might be needlessly wasted (yes, I know a lot of my posting might be that ;) but you get the point) then I'm not so inclined to take the more long winded route.

TheBlueRaja
28-10-2004, 14:17
How about a its good to talk but google should be checked first option.

Bifta
28-10-2004, 14:20
There is absolutely no harm in checking Google to see if it answers your question first instead of wasting other members time.

punky
28-10-2004, 14:21
To save reposting...

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=327017&postcount=313

Russ
28-10-2004, 14:22
Often I'd rather leave someone ask something here that doing a google as it encourages people to discuss things and this is a discussion forum :)

Mick
28-10-2004, 14:23
Often I'd rather leave someone ask something here that doing a google as it encourages people to discuss things and this is a discussion forum :)

Exactly... Was gonna say it but you beat me to it Russ. ;)

Paul K
28-10-2004, 14:24
Google first, check it through the forum etc if any doubt still lingers and that way someone else may come up with a viable easier/ different alrternative solution.
If you get into the habit of just asking others for the answer then you run the risk of never learning to solve problems yourself.

Jon M
28-10-2004, 14:26
Imagine we were in a pub, and someone asked one of the sort of questions we tend to get on here....

Bloke1: hi guys, do you know what size cam belt my car takes?
Group: don't you have a manual?
Bloke1: yeah, but I couldn't be bothered to read it
Group: buy us a round and we'll have a look ;)

In that hypothetical situation... there may have been someone that knew the answer, there may have been people that wanted to help without any sort of reward... but "bloke1" shot himself in the foot, because he just made himself look lazy and no-one responds well to that.

MadGamer
28-10-2004, 14:29
I find Google helpful but i sometimes need help on here for a better explanation. Whenever i type something into Google it doesnt always display the results i want, so thats when i come here.

Jon M
28-10-2004, 14:33
As Punky points out... stupid questions are annoying, but what is a stupid question.. its subjective.
Google should be used when the question posed is not condusive to discussion... compare these two for example:
Hi, how do I turn active desktop off?
Hi, active desktop is playing up, I can't get my webpage to display properly.. do any of you use a webpage on your desktop?
One of those questions is a candidate for google.. the other is more suited to a forum.. i'll leave it to you to sort out which is which.

Paul
28-10-2004, 14:35
Google first, and then check the answer you get on the forum. The fact that google finds something doesn't make it correct.

Salu
28-10-2004, 14:37
Anyone ever find themselves just about to ask a friend in the pub, a question and then momentarily pausing to try and find their keyboard....too much forum, if so...

punky
28-10-2004, 14:38
As Punky points out... stupid questions are annoying, but what is a stupid question.. its subjective.

Well stupid in that quote wasn't the best word to use, but that's how the graphic was made (I didn't to it). This forum is great because it helps people with real problems, which in turn can help others, but sometimes can be a bit tiresome to keep going over the same simple things.

Although saying that, the phrase: "It is better to look stupid, than to open your mouth and remove the doubt" comes into my mind :)

Chris
28-10-2004, 14:43
Exactly... Was gonna say it but you beat me to it Russ. ;)Pretty much sums up what I think too, in part at least. It's ironic that sometimes, when someone posts the 'Google is your friend' line, accompanied by a link to a search, the top result is from a forum posting somewhere. (This actually happened earlier today when Wayne had a question about the Photos menu option on his iPod). But if that posting had not been made, it would not have been there for Google to find. By asking and answering questions for each other, based on our own needs and our own expertise, we contribute to the Internet instead of merely exploiting it.

The other side of it, for me, is that I enjoy conversation as a social activity. For me, simply asking a question is, sometimes, almost an end in itself, because it gets people talking and sometimes the conversation gan unfold in a way that uncovers information you never thought to ask about in the first place.

Richard M
28-10-2004, 14:54
Google doesn't BS. ;)

ian@huth
28-10-2004, 15:11
One thing that is missing in the poll is the option to use the "search" facility on the site. It is one thing to talk about things on CF but should you start a new conversation (thread) or join an existing one. My feeling is that you should use the search facility and if a thread exists that discusses your problem then use that thread. Sometimes though you find an existing thread that is so out of date or gone off topic that your contribution becomes lost and unanswered and starting a new thread is the only way to get a response. This is particularly true if you post in a thread that has gone off topic but is being posted to quite heavily and your post is the last one on a page. It gets overlooked and vanishes into oblivion.

Mal
28-10-2004, 15:22
For people like me, who aren't that techy, it's nice to talk to people who'll explain it in simple terms.

Gareth
28-10-2004, 16:09
I try to use both wherever possible.... I'll start by searching Google, and if I'm still unsure or have any doubts, I'll ask opinions from others here.... depending upon the subject matter, of course. I don't tend to bother you guys with my toe nail fungus problems :D

This is, as pointed out, a discussion forum, but sometimes you think it could be easier for people to look up stuff for themselves. I remember a thread about international calling codes that was answered here. I'm not sure it's something that'll be that relevant for many others, and to me suggested a certain amount of laziness.

Just my 2 cents of a â‚ ¬ ;)

marina
28-10-2004, 20:00
To post or not to post, that is the question....

Goooooooogle is my friend.
Real people are my friend. I'd rather talk about it at CF.
I really don't care.
:erm:

Am i the only person that would query the difference between option 1 and option 2 as answers? :shrug:

While i understand that using google....... or dirty googling (as it's called in the trade ;) ) ............or any other search engine for answers isn't exactly the same as posting on a forum, it's still electronic and can be just as static.
While i don't mean to cause offence, i would have thought an option that didn't include electronic interaction would have had more impact when describing 'real' people :shrug:
There isn't an option for talking to friends, family, priest etc or work colleagues...... especially since the 'help' that is needed may not be I.T based.......... as has been mentioned already elsewhere, the Lifestyle threads are very popular and i've seen all manner of emotional and other type of advice asked for :)

Would the people that have voted for google or real people/CF as a first option really go there/here first?

Graham
28-10-2004, 20:14
How about a its good to talk but google should be checked first option.

Sounds good to me.

Especially since often the answer from posting on here is gained from google anyway...!

marina
28-10-2004, 20:17
Sounds good to me.

Especially since often the answer from posting on here is gained from google anyway...!:LOL: Cut and paste (CAP) is the new CAB ;)

Maggy
28-10-2004, 20:41
It depends entirely on what the 'problem' actually is.

I frankly would not come here and ask for help of a personal nature.I'd rather phone family and friends,talk to himindoors(if he is in a listening mood),see a doctor or just generally talk to myself about the situation.

I give myself good advice by the way!!! :)

If it's a techy problem that himindoors can deal with(electrics,DIY,repairs) then that's not a problem.Anything else I will ask here or visit h2G2 and do a search there(or ask the researchers in Ask h2g2), then I'll google as a last resort because Google isn't always as picky as I'd like.

If I'm seeking images then I'd use Google or the specific sites I've been recommended by others.