PDA

View Full Version : Sky+ Copy to Tape Backup Option

DrAwesome
27-10-2004, 19:46
I have had my Sky+ Box for well over a year now & occationally when the Sky+ Hd gets full i transfer the films/programmes i have on the hd to vhs tape, (normally i just put in a tape select the copy option & hit the record red button on the vcr hand set or just play the film & record the film while watching it) without any problems at all.

Last weekend i copied The Matrix Reloaded Film to the Sky+ hd & today i decided to copy the film to vhs tape but... i found while the film was playing the picture was flashing dark then light so thinking this might have been a one off (first showing sky ploy).

I decided to try & copy a motorcycle programme (called the Worlds Fastest Bikes which is over 5 months old) that i had saved & not watched from Men&Motors channel & lo & behold the same problem as soon as i switch the vcr to record as it prompts you to do on the Sky+ screen as soon as the saved film/programme starts playing the picture goes from light to dark, in fact no matter which way i select to record to tape i get the same result.

The colour of the picture is still there the brightness of the picture flashes in & out from light to dark or dark to light. (its not a faint/light flicker its very dramatic)

I did the usual check all the scart cables (as the cat frequently wanders around the back of the Tv), i even replaced the vcr 3x different make/models (Sony/Philips/Toshiber) & the problem still presents itself. (i even tried different makes of tv's which included a portable tv without any joy)

I have touched none of the settings on the origional vcr i use to record from my Sky+ box i have successfully used in the past.

The only conclusion is it seems Sky broadcast or have added some sort of macrovision protection in the last update?

Has anyone else had/noticed any problems when copying from the Sky+ to vhs tape?

dilli-theclaw
27-10-2004, 19:53
My m8 has this with sky box office films....

I had this also with the box office films (recording onto dvd but same problem), but not the standard channels.

DrAwesome
27-10-2004, 21:21
I phoned Sky+ Tech help on 08702 435000 (they are open till 10pm) i didnt have to wait long (less than 2mins) told the guy at Sky the epic story of the problem & he said that sounds like a macrovision protection prevention Sky only broadcast that on Box office films.. Anyway after saying obvously you have checked everything before phoning it sounds like the Sky+ box is faulty, he asked me how long i had been a Sky+ customer i told him it must be about 2yrs at least, then he came back with the reply "try 5yrs" :Yikes: (so i have had my moneys worth out of the box) anyway i asked how much to replace it, (thinking he would say £99 as sky (http://www.ordersky.com/equipment/skyplus.asp) have an offer on at the moment) that expires in November, Free installation & Sky+ box for £99.

Anyway he quoted me £65 & free installation, & i said to him is that for a standard Sky digi-box & he replied "No" a Sky+ box an updated model than the one you have at the moment, i then said would it be a refurbished one? & again he came back with the answer "No" brand new in the box, of course we would have to take away the old one & an engineer would have to come & install it, then i asked how long would that be (for delivery & installation) thinking he would say within 2 weeks because thats how long i had to wait when i first became a Sky+ customer, the reply was 2-3 days & he said that he could book it in for Friday afternoon this week "Sky have come along way in 5 years" hehehehe.

While he was booking the delivery/installation i asked him about Sky+ 160 which is the new Sky+ box coming out on the 1st of November this year for £399 you get a bigger 160 hd which you can record 80hrs of tv programmes plus it has a few more inserts on the back than the standard Sky+ box.

So £65 for a new replacement for my 5yr old Sky+ box thats not bad at all.

Neil
27-10-2004, 22:09
Sky + has been available for 5 years.....? :erm:

paulyoung666
27-10-2004, 22:42

i was wondering the same :confused: , i cant wait for a reply to this one , if it is true then i might just ring them ;)

DrAwesome
27-10-2004, 23:57
Thats what i was told tonight when i phoned Sky+ Tech support... so i ran the question through Goooogle & found that Sky+ first launched in September 2001 (http://www.amstrad.com/news_bskyb_supplier.html)

ian@huth
28-10-2004, 00:22
I phoned Sky+ Tech help on 08702 435000 (they are open till 10pm) i didnt have to wait long (less than 2mins) told the guy at Sky the epic story of the problem & he said that sounds like a macrovision protection prevention Sky only broadcast that on Box office films.. Anyway after saying obvously you have checked everything before phoning it sounds like the Sky+ box is faulty, he asked me how long i had been a Sky+ customer i told him it must be about 2yrs at least, then he came back with the reply "try 5yrs" :Yikes: (so i have had my moneys worth out of the box) anyway i asked how much to replace it, (thinking he would say £99 as sky (http://www.ordersky.com/equipment/skyplus.asp) have an offer on at the moment) that expires in November, Free installation & Sky+ box for £99.

Anyway he quoted me £65 & free installation, & i said to him is that for a standard Sky digi-box & he replied "No" a Sky+ box an updated model than the one you have at the moment, i then said would it be a refurbished one? & again he came back with the answer "No" brand new in the box, of course we would have to take away the old one & an engineer would have to come & install it, then i asked how long would that be (for delivery & installation) thinking he would say within 2 weeks because thats how long i had to wait when i first became a Sky+ customer, the reply was 2-3 days & he said that he could book it in for Friday afternoon this week "Sky have come along way in 5 years" hehehehe.

While he was booking the delivery/installation i asked him about Sky+ 160 which is the new Sky+ box coming out on the 1st of November this year for £399 you get a bigger 160 hd which you can record 80hrs of tv programmes plus it has a few more inserts on the back than the standard Sky+ box.

So £65 for a new replacement for my 5yr old Sky+ box thats not bad at all.

Sky may charge £65 for callout and replacement of box, if required, after the first year when it is free, but they do not always apply this charge. Replacement boxes will probably be refurbished ones, but quite often these can be more reliable than new ones. It is doubtful that you will get a new box but you may be lucky.

Nafeesa
30-06-2011, 17:10
I have had my Sky+ Box for well over a year now & occationally when the Sky+ Hd gets full i transfer the films/programmes i have on the hd to vhs tape, (normally i just put in a tape select the copy option & hit the record red button on the vcr hand set or just play the film & record the film while watching it) without any problems at all.

Last weekend i copied The Matrix Reloaded Film to the Sky+ hd & today i decided to copy the film to vhs tape but... i found while the film was playing the picture was flashing dark then light so thinking this might have been a one off (first showing sky ploy).

I decided to try & copy a motorcycle programme (called the Worlds Fastest Bikes which is over 5 months old) that i had saved & not watched from Men&Motors channel & lo & behold the same problem as soon as i switch the vcr to record as it prompts you to do on the Sky+ screen as soon as the saved film/programme starts playing the picture goes from light to dark, in fact no matter which way i select to record to tape i get the same result.

The colour of the picture is still there the brightness of the picture flashes in & out from light to dark or dark to light. (its not a faint/light flicker its very dramatic)

I did the usual check all the scart cables (as the cat frequently wanders around the back of the Tv), i even replaced the vcr 3x different make/models (Sony/Philips/Toshiber) & the problem still presents itself. (i even tried different makes of tv's which included a portable tv without any joy)

I have touched none of the settings on the origional vcr i use to record from my Sky+ box i have successfully used in the past.

The only conclusion is it seems Sky broadcast or have added some sort of macrovision protection in the last update?

Has anyone else had/noticed any problems when copying from the Sky+ to vhs tape?

Hi, how do you record from sky+ to the vcr??? im trying to do that but i dont know how to set it up and what cables i need, thanks

Sasha222
30-06-2011, 17:35
Go to your planner first and then pick what you want to copy. On the hd box you scroll until you see at the last colour button and it says copy. Press that and you will see copy come on to the program you want to copy. Press select and select again and then it comes up to remind you to make sure you have your vcr on to copy and then you see Its about to copy. The programe you want to copy will play while its copying. You dont have to copy one but three at the same time

Hope this helps

Nafeesa
30-06-2011, 17:56
Go to your planner first and then pick what you want to copy. On the hd box you scroll until you see at the last colour button and it says copy. Press that and you will see copy come on to the program you want to copy. Press select and select again and then it comes up to remind you to make sure you have your vcr on to copy and then you see Its about to copy. The programe you want to copy will play while its copying. You dont have to copy one but three at the same time

Hope this helps

how would i set it up, what cables do i need and where do i have to connect them to ??

Sasha222
30-06-2011, 18:05
You dont need any cables as the the functions are in the box already.

1. Go to planner

2. Scroll to program you want to copy

3. Scroll across until you see copy. (look at the bottom of the screen at the colour buttons and the last button on the HD box is the copy one)

4. Press copy and copy will come up on your programme

5. Press select and select again and it will automatically get itself ready to copy

Make sure you have your VCR/DVD turned on to do the copy and also as I said you can copy three or four things in one go depending on the length of the program's

Nafeesa
30-06-2011, 19:06
You dont need any cables as the the functions are in the box already.

1. Go to planner

2. Scroll to program you want to copy

3. Scroll across until you see copy. (look at the bottom of the screen at the colour buttons and the last button on the HD box is the copy one)

4. Press copy and copy will come up on your programme

5. Press select and select again and it will automatically get itself ready to copy

Make sure you have your VCR/DVD turned on to do the copy and also as I said you can copy three or four things in one go depending on the length of the program's

Hi, ive put a scart lead into the vcr bit of the sky+ box, and the other end is in the line 2 slot of the vcr
then i have a scart lead from the vcr into the tv, i tried recording but it didnt work, do i have to do any tuning, am i using the right cables in the right places??
my sky+ box is connected to the tv with a hd cable and shows in hdmi 1 channel if that helps at all and the vcr plays in av1

Sasha222
30-06-2011, 19:11
Sorry that is way out of my league. All I know is how to do the copy from the Sky box to the VCR. Hopefully someone on her will be able to tell you about the wiring part.

Nafeesa
30-06-2011, 19:23
Sorry that is way out of my league. All I know is how to do the copy from the Sky box to the VCR. Hopefully someone on her will be able to tell you about the wiring part.

How do you connect your vcr and sky box when u record and do u connect the vcr to the tv as well ?

Sasha222
30-06-2011, 19:33
If you V.C.R box is already connected up then you need do no more. All you have to do is make sure that you turn it to record when your downloading to it from the sky box once you start the copying

---------- Post added at 19:33 ---------- Previous post was at 19:30 ----------

Hi, ive put a scart lead into the vcr bit of the sky+ box, and the other end is in the line 2 slot of the vcr
then i have a scart lead from the vcr into the tv, i tried recording but it didnt work, do i have to do any tuning, am i using the right cables in the right places??
my sky+ box is connected to the tv with a hd cable and shows in hdmi 1 channel if that helps at all and the vcr plays in av1

If you do a simple check and tape something from the tv with your VCR then you will know if It's tuned in or not

colin25
30-06-2011, 19:52
basically the copy function allows you to record more than one programme continuously.

I tend to record one movie etc at a time, by just using play, and setting my hard drive recorder at same time. I suspect you aren't able to distinguish separate recordings otherwise, but not gospel as I don't know (having never done it).

As to connections, just google it, here is one link
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=489982