PDA

View Full Version : dvd won't play

danielf
16-08-2003, 22:30
I just rented this dvd from the video shop, and it won't play on my laptop. XP tells me 'windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with windows'.

I got another copy from the video shop, same problem.

I've played DVDs on this laptop before without problems. Audio CDs play fine, as do data CDs. Unfortunately, I don't have other DVDs to try (or another player).

Does anyone know what the problem might be? Internet has not been too helpful in finding a solution

As audio CDs work fine, I'm thinking the drive is ok. Maybe the XP patches/updates I applied lately have thrown things?

Xaccers
16-08-2003, 22:38
Is it a disney DVD?

danielf
16-08-2003, 22:42
Originally posted by Xaccers
Is it a disney DVD?

No, would that matter? It is a rented DVD from the videoshop. I got a replacement which doesn't work either, and it seems unlikely both would be corrupt.

Bifta
16-08-2003, 22:47
perhaps it's copy protected in such a way that it won't work on anything other than a proper DVD player ... some audio cd's are like that, prevent's people from ripping the content out with things like DVD X Copy

danielf
16-08-2003, 22:54
Originally posted by Bifta
perhaps it's copy protected in such a way that it won't work on anything other than a proper DVD player ... some audio cd's are like that, prevent's people from ripping the content out with things like DVD X Copy

Mmm, but this is a French movie subtitled in English. Hardly your average blockbuster...

And I don't really feel like going out to buy a dvd player to check it. Especially since my lappy hooks up to my tele fine :mad:

MadGamer
22-08-2003, 20:17
Try updating your DVD Decoder softawre with the latest drivers from the softwares website

if it has one.

If not try asking Microsoft technical support. Hey they helped me with the problem i was having with my scanner and it now works a treat.

homealone
22-08-2003, 22:31
can you see folders on the disk called audio_ts & video_ts using windows explorer? - and are there any *.vob files in the video_ts folder?

what program are you using to play dvd's?

danielf
23-08-2003, 00:26
Sorry, I didn't realise people had replied. The dvd is back in the video shop now. I swapped it for the video.

I was not able to read the disk at all. Just double clicking the drive in 'my computer' would bring up the error.

So, dvd playing software is not the issue, it's either XP, the disc, or my drive (or a combination of the three)

TigaSefi
23-08-2003, 00:38
Have you got any mates ? with dvd's players ? ask to borrow one or 3 and try them all. If they don't play it definitely windows XP the problem.

danielf
23-08-2003, 01:01
Originally posted by TigaSefi
Have you got any mates ? with dvd's players ? ask to borrow one or 3 and try them all. If they don't play it definitely windows XP the problem.

Yes, I did think of that, but then the thread died, and I kind of lost interest as the immediate poblem was resolved with me swapping the dvd for the video. ;) But you're right, I should ask my mates for their dvds

Lord Nikon
23-08-2003, 07:54
Just a thought though.... download DriveInfo and see what region the computer and the drive are set to.....

danielf
23-08-2003, 11:53
It's set to region 2, it worked before, and I didn't change anything. I've googled a bit, and it appears the problem is not trivial :(. Still, I'll get hold of some other dvds to try first.

Tristan
23-08-2003, 12:50
Do you have any DVD-ROMs you could try?

If Windows is refusing to show you even a directory listing, it's possible that the DVD-reading part of the drive is knackered. With most drives, this is separate from the CD-reading bit, which would explain why that still works.

As I said, try it with a DVD-ROm if you can (a magazine cover disk or something). That way you can establish whether it's the drive, or just Windows having issues with DVD-Videos.

danielf
23-08-2003, 12:58
Originally posted by Tristan
Do you have any DVD-ROMs you could try?

If Windows is refusing to show you even a directory listing, it's possible that the DVD-reading part of the drive is knackered. With most drives, this is separate from the CD-reading bit, which would explain why that still works.

As I said, try it with a DVD-ROm if you can (a magazine cover disk or something). That way you can establish whether it's the drive, or just Windows having issues with DVD-Videos.

Cheers, I didn't know the DVD reading part is separate. I'll try that. It wouldn't surprise me if it is knackered. Just my luck. For some reason, my drives always go tits up...