PDA

View Full Version : How I nearly got arrested in a French sports shop

Gareth
23-10-2004, 23:36
Here's what happened to me earlier on today, whilt on holiday in Montpellier, south of France. Thought this might make some people laugh.

We (me, my wife, our 7-year old son, his uncle and his grandfather - all of whom except me are French) went looking to buy some rollerblading stuff for our child. So we drove to the nearest big sports shop (Decathlon for anyone that knows it) but we were out of luck as they didn't stock what we were looking for in that particular branch, so we had to drive several more miles to a different Decathlon where we were told they would have it and would be able to help us.

Upon arriving at the 2nd store, we found that they did have some stuff but not exactly what we were looking for, and what they did have was not in our son's size anyway... so we decided to ask one of so-called shop assistants for some help. She told us she couldn't help but she'd get the person responsible for that particular area to come see us straight away, so we sat down and waited..... and waited..... and waited.

After 5 minutes, I'd decided to leave and buy it elsewhere as they were obviously not bothered about our custom, but the others wanted to stay, and as my brother-in-law had driven us there, he got to decide. After 10 minutes I was livid and was desperately trying to get the attention of other members of staff.... but they all just ignored me (preferring to deal with the Frenchies who had arrived after us).

After 15 minutes, I'd really had more than I could take, so I took the initiative in my own hands and walked over to a PC they had for this non-existant sales assistant to use, and started playing with it. Turns out that not only was it left unlocked, but that PCs in Decathlon stores allow users to execute pretty much any command ...including the Net Send command :D For those who don't know it, Net Send allows you to send pop-up messages to either a specific machine in a domain or to all the machines in a domain.

So, naturally, I sent a Net Send message to all machines saying that there was a customer who had been waiting in the rollerskate aisle for approximately 15 minutes to be served, and please would someone serve them.

Strangely enough, loads of people (including the Decathlon security guards) suddenyl appeared wanting to know who had been playing around with their machines and who had given me authority to do so.

Things got pretty heated when I let slip that I could've done a lot worse than just a Net Send, such as wiping their machine completely ...which was pretty much when their jumped-up sales guy/techie bloke almost fainted and wanted to have me arrested (not sure under what grounds he thought it was possible, but he wanted it done anyway).

But, the good news is that, strangely enough, we got served straight away by the original sales assistant who had previously been too busy for us ...although in the end, we didn't buy what we needed from them anyway :D :D :D

Halcyon
23-10-2004, 23:50
LOL

Seems like you had a fun day then.
I normally find those shops quite good. Lots of roller blading gear and sports equipment.
But yes I agree with you, there are normally a lot of staff all over the place but it seems that they are blinded and don't want to notice you and help.

kronas
23-10-2004, 23:50
lmao what a story, it really helps to be pushy when your getting slack customer service from retailers!

Macca371
24-10-2004, 00:10
haha, reminds me of my usage of 'NET SEND /DOMAIN' in high school... :D :rolleyes:

Graham M
24-10-2004, 00:45
hmm i did a net send * before at School. LoL. College system is all Novell, used to have a system to send messages, but that has since been blocked out.

Damien
24-10-2004, 10:47
I love Decathlon! its great

Chris
25-10-2004, 12:35
Ahh, that legendary French customer service ... :D

Damien
25-10-2004, 15:54
They force you to say hello!

Marge
25-10-2004, 16:01
Reminds me of when my friend and I were in Palma Nova, we'd gone in one of these "souvenir" shops and started laughing at all the tat they sold. You know the type, cameras that have scenic views of Majorca and donkeys with straw hats on. Well the fella took real offence at us laughing hysterically and manhandled us out of the shop. Shopkeepers abroad have got no sense of humour ;)

MadGamer
25-10-2004, 16:26
hmm i did a net send * before at School. LoL. College system is all Novell, used to have a system to send messages, but that has since been blocked out.

Hmm wont be using that command when i get a new laptop with Wireless networking capatbilities then.

Damien
25-10-2004, 16:53
sorta pointless unless you actually conected to a network

nffc
26-10-2004, 01:30
Lol... classic. You have to ask, WTF something so critical was left like that!