PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain this to me !!!

Mauldor
23-10-2004, 18:32
Here is something i can re-create at will - strange but very very true...

Imagine the scene - Im listening to net radio, have msn up and a download going (very slow as from china - but going none the less)...

I got on FlashFXP 3.0 and if i upload or download a lot of files (small txt files) then after a few mins, my whole connection stops dead. It lasts for about a min then it all comes back to life and continues as normal... In that time, any web page i browse - nothing found....my download dies, my net radio stops and my ftp upload or downlaod also stops...

Is this some wierd NTL thing - does it mean im cannot use FTP or risk loosing my connection, was pretty miffed when grabbing a 85Meg files from china at 3.5KB?Sec and got to 85% then did some downloads from FTP (my site) and it failed ---

Anybody any ideas before i call up ADSL and get rid of this junk?

greencreeper
23-10-2004, 20:01
I sometimes see this as well. I've always attributed it to saturation and the modem having a paddy :shrug:

punky
23-10-2004, 20:21
The closest I get is when I have P2P going. The constant mass overhead of traffic, (not actual file transfers, but peer-to-peer chatter), used to stall and crash my STB. Hasn't happened since I got my new Samsung box though.

swoop101
23-10-2004, 20:34
assuming you are on xp,
right click 'my computer' choose manage and look in the event viewer.
Look in the 'system' tab and see if you have any yellow warning triangles with 'tcp' next to them.
If you have then you are basically overloading the tcp stack and the os is calling a halt to sort it out.

as for the slow d/l use a d/l manager so that the file can be resumed.

Tezcatlipoca
24-10-2004, 00:18

Imagine the scene - Im listening to net radio, have msn up and a download going (very slow as from china - but going none the less)...

I got on FlashFXP 3.0 and if i upload or download a lot of files (small txt files) then after a few mins, my whole connection stops dead. It lasts for about a min then it all comes back to life and continues as normal... In that time, any web page i browse - nothing found....my download dies, my net radio stops and my ftp upload or downlaod also stops...

Is this some wierd NTL thing - does it mean im cannot use FTP or risk loosing my connection, was pretty miffed when grabbing a 85Meg files from china at 3.5KB?Sec and got to 85% then did some downloads from FTP (my site) and it failed ---

If you max out the upstream when using FTP, P2P etc., it can kill the downstream, as some upstream bandwidth is always needed when downloading anything. There's lots about this in the various ntl&P2P threads here...

Do you use a set-top box (STB) or standalone cable modem (SACM) for your ntl BB? STBs (well, Pace STBs) seem to be a bit more vulnerable to this, although it can still happen with SACMs.

DrPepper
25-10-2004, 08:06
Yes, sounds like upstream saturation to me. Its a problem inherent with TCP/IP.

If the connection continues to be duff AFTER the upload has completed though, the problem could also be being exacerbated by conflicts in the network stack.
If you're using a USB connection, try switching to a NIC instead.
If you're already using a nic, remove the drivers from device manager, reboot and reinstall the drivers. This should rebuild the stack/rebuild the bindings.
If problems continue, and you're running any firewall software, I'd uninstall it, reboot and test the connection again. If the problem is then sorted, you know the firewall was to blame. You then have a choice of whether to reinstall it, hoping the problem will now be fixed with a fresh install, or installing an alternate software (or better still, hardware) firewall.
I wouldnt let the PC run for any length of time without a firewall though, just to many skiddies around nowadays.

Good luck anyway.

gary_580
25-10-2004, 09:20
This upload issue only occurs on the PACE STB. I've had a PACE, Samsung and now a SACM and on both the Samsung and SACM it hasnt been possible to kill the BB due to saturating the upload. When i had the PACE box i used to run an application called Netlimiter to restrict the upload to ensure it didnt kill the BB

bopdude
25-10-2004, 11:13

my whole connection stops dead.
It lasts for about a min then it all comes back to life and continues as normal...
....my download dies, my net radio stops and my ftp upload or downlaod also stops...

Same thing here :(

assuming you are on xp,
right click 'my computer' choose manage and look in the event viewer.
Look in the 'system' tab and see if you have any yellow warning triangles with 'tcp' next to them.
If you have then you are basically overloading the tcp stack and the os is calling a halt to sort it out.

as for the slow d/l use a d/l manager so that the file can be resumed.
Bingo :tu:

P2P :p: BB killer ????? :D