PDA

View Full Version : Swap STB with Cable Modem?

Daniel H
23-10-2004, 13:27
Here's what I wanna do, can someone tell me if its poss!

We have 3 stbs, and one is the modem for the broadband.

What I want to do is get rid of the stb that does the broadband and get FREESAT instead.

But I don't want to have to use either of the other 2 stbs to run the broadband for various reasons.

Therefore is it possible to get NTL to swap it for a cable modem?

Or if I bought a cable modem from ebay, would that work?

Cheers ;)

Paul
23-10-2004, 13:37
The second bit is easy - you cannot use a CM bought from ebay (if it's an ntl:home CM then it's stolen as well).

As to the first question - I believe it is possible in most area's - I think someone like debsy42 could probably confirm/deny for your area.

Florence
23-10-2004, 13:50
As you live in Manchester I know this has been done for others. I would PM Bill C (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/private.php?do=newpm&u=4995) he will tell you if its still possible.

Marge
23-10-2004, 13:54
Yep you can, ring Sales today (open till 5) and they should be able to arrange for you :tu:

danielf
23-10-2004, 14:01
The second bit is easy - you cannot use a CM bought from ebay (if it's an ntl:home CM then it's stolen as well).

I don't think so (about it being stolen). When I cancelled my services a while ago, they picked up the stb, but told me they weren't interested in picking up the Cable Modem, so that's sitting in a wardrobe somewhere.

Paul
23-10-2004, 15:06
I don't think so (about it being stolen). When I cancelled my services a while ago, they picked up the stb, but told me they weren't interested in picking up the Cable Modem, so that's sitting in a wardrobe somewhere.They all belong to ntl.

Daniel H
23-10-2004, 15:27
Thanks guys.

Sky at long last here I come

danielf
23-10-2004, 15:59
They all belong to ntl.

Not if they tell me they will send someone over to collect my STB and I ask them about the CM, and get told I can keep it. If I can bin it, then why wouldn't I be allowed to sell it on ebay?

Tezcatlipoca
23-10-2004, 16:04
Not if they tell me they will send someone over to collect my STB and I ask them about the CM, and get told I can keep it. If I can bin it, then why wouldn't I be allowed to sell it on ebay?

Even if you sold it on ebay, it wouldn't be of any use to anyone. They're also worth very little anyway (hence why ntl don't bother to collect them anymore).

Macca371
23-10-2004, 16:31
Now you mention it, I think this would be a good idea for me.

My internet runs off my STB which is downstairs, when my computer is upstairs - so when I need to restart the STB because of an internet problem I have to disrupt everyone's viewing downstairs which usually winds everyone up :rolleyes:. Can I keep the STB downstairs and have a modem upstairs, and how much would this cost, approximately?

Tezcatlipoca
23-10-2004, 16:36
Now you mention it, I think this would be a good idea for me.

My internet runs off my STB which is downstairs, when my computer is upstairs - so when I need to restart the STB because of an internet problem I have to disrupt everyone's viewing downstairs which usually winds everyone up :rolleyes:. Can I keep the STB downstairs and have a modem upstairs, and how much would this cost, approximately?

I don't see why you couldn't keep the STB downstairs & have a SACM fitted upstairs - may be an installation charge though. Might also mean you get tied to a new 12month contract for the SACM. AFAIK it depends on the reasons for getting a SACM fitted. Something Debsy & co should be able to answer...

Macca371
23-10-2004, 16:42
ok thanks