PDA

View Full Version : Problems in Glasgow last night (Thursday)??

NormCash
22-10-2004, 09:21
Is anyone aware of any particular problems with the broadband service in Glasgow last night(Thursday)?

I had all kinds of problems getting web pages to load. Had to give up in the end. I don't think there is a problem with my PC. I cleared out my file cache, and rebooted both the PC and the modem. Email seemed to be working OK, too.

It'll probably be working perfectly well when I get home tonight.

Stephen
22-10-2004, 11:18
Which part of Glasgow? I am in G45 and had no problems.

Derek
22-10-2004, 11:49
G76 was fine as well and I've not had any complaints from customers this morning.

aliferste
22-10-2004, 12:27
Fine in G13 as well!!

NormCash
22-10-2004, 12:56
I'm in the G43 area.

Just about every page that I tried to load - across a wide variety of sites - produced a "Page not available" warning. Hitting refresh or reloading about a dozen times usually produced a response, although most graphics were replaced by the red "x" of death.

I tried the Broadband Medic to see if it could help out, but even it said that it was having trouble connecting to sites.

As I said, I'm hoping that it turns out to be one of those strange anomalies that sorts itself out when I next try it!

Derek
22-10-2004, 14:11
Strange, no faults showing for that area.

May have been a local fault that has been resolved or fixed itself.

NormCash
22-10-2004, 14:16
Thanks for having a look, dezzo. :tu:

I'll keep my fingers crossed for tonight!

NormCash
22-10-2004, 21:19
Well, I arrived home tonight to find that the problem still exists. Got on the blower to TS, and after a wait of over 30 minutes - and COUNTLESS recorded messages telling me the "Great News" about the broadband speed upgrade.... "all this at no cost to you!" - I finally spoke to a human.

(Suggestion/Word of Advice for ntl people out there....PLEASE cut down on the information messages that cut in while people are waiting. They may be OK if you only have to wait for a few minutes, but after you've heard them for the 20th time, you really feel like pulling your hair out, punching a wall, kicking the dog, OR perhaps getting very angry at someone. And who is the next person you're going to speak to? Yep....the poor techy is right in the firing line. If you must have these messages on, at least have a wide selection of them so that we're hearing some variation. Oh, and while I'm at it, would it be too much to ask that ntl install some waiting time/queue placement software into their system? Trailfinders travel agency are one company I know that utilises this. If a customer is given either an estimated waiting time, or at least knows their placing in a queue, they can make a much better judgement on whether to continue to hold, or to call back later. End of suggestion/advice).

Anyway, back to the matter at hand. After establishing that the fault do NOT lie with my connection/modem, the tech guy took me through a number of different "fixes" in Windows XP, none of which had any effect. Finally, he suggested something that I didn't even know existed - System Restore. Since the problem just reared its head out of the blue last night, he suggested that I use System Restore to get my system settings back to what they were a few days ago. I tried this and hey, voila! Success!!

Nice job, ntl tech guy (Wish I could remember his name. Welsh chappie.)!

Stephen
22-10-2004, 22:26
Yep Tech support is based in Swansea. great that you got it sorted.

sav112
23-10-2004, 16:21
G44 is ok and I was on for about 5 hours thursday night playing CM03-04 online.