PDA

View Full Version : hatfield, loss of broadband or just me?

bontrager
21-10-2004, 21:41
hi,
anyone in hatfielf also lost their modem connection? mine went at about 5 today after i rebooted it and now it wont synch... i guess if you have no service then yohu wont be able to reply unless you also have a machine with dialup

bontrager
21-10-2004, 22:11
strange, i assigned me an ip of 192.168.100.2 and got into the diagnostics page, changed the upstream and now its all fine...

Simcut
24-10-2004, 13:36
Hi mate, I'm in Cuffley (nears Potters Bar) and I've had constant disconnections for the past 3/4 days.

what did you do about the IP and the diagnostics and changing your upstream ?! how u do that?

eldood
24-10-2004, 23:34
Im in Hatfield and the connection has been awful for 2-3 weeks on and off.
I got the 1meg connection - still not had a speed upgrade - a call to TS gave a recorded message listing a load of postcodes in this area (including mine) but this list has been standard TS message for a long time now. Last week when I called TS I was told an engineer would call in the next day or two - two days later I got a call from TS saying that there was work due to be carried out on the UBR, due to oversubscribing, at the end of Oct and that no new IPs were being given out for this area blah blah blah - personally im not so sure about the over subscribing thing as the connection had been fine up untill 3 weeks ago and the drop in connection from 1 meg to 128K (lowest) seems alot if it's just alot of users also its not as if its just at "peak times" - I am moving in a months time so think it might be time for a change to another provider

Ignition
24-10-2004, 23:43
Hi mate, I'm in Cuffley (nears Potters Bar) and I've had constant disconnections for the past 3/4 days.

what did you do about the IP and the diagnostics and changing your upstream ?! how u do that?

He has a Motorola Surfboard modem Simcut. Need a hand?

bontrager
25-10-2004, 04:11
yep i do indeed have a motorola 3100 which has the fantastic bonus of letting me change up upstream (well it did, havent touched it since the other night...). Funny though, ive been upgraded to the 1.5 mb service here in hatfield, strange some arent.

I guess it could be oversubcription that has only really come into play since the upgrade. To be fair, it was like this once before and they fixed it, so im not overly worried at this point, even if it is a pain :)

BBKing
25-10-2004, 08:18
I guess it could be oversubcription that has only really come into play since the upgrade.

Unlikey - congestion is pretty much 99.999% of the time upstream related, and upstream speeds didn't increase. The fix put in place over the last few months (new hardware and wider upstreams) should be just fine. Congestion doesn't cause drop-outs, anyway, that's more likely to be local network issues.

bontrager
25-10-2004, 14:30
Unlikey - congestion is pretty much 99.999% of the time upstream related, and upstream speeds didn't increase. The fix put in place over the last few months (new hardware and wider upstreams) should be just fine. Congestion doesn't cause drop-outs, anyway, that's more likely to be local network issues.
I didnt say it did cause drop outs :) yeah normally when i had drop outs it was signal strength issues. guess its just coincidence that the service has gone through the floor since the upgrade.