PDA

View Full Version : NTL & Broadband -- Do u need to take phone line rental?

mchu6am4
21-10-2004, 14:35
Hi,

Does anyone know whether you HAVE TO subscribe to NTL telephone service in order to subscribe to broadband package or are NTL broadband packages stand alone?

Thanks, Ash

Graham F
21-10-2004, 14:45
No u can go stand alone.

scrotnig
21-10-2004, 15:06
No u can go stand alone.
There are also free line rental with broadband deals going at the moment I believe.

zoombini
21-10-2004, 15:15
But that would end up being for a limited period.

I am on the broadband only, no phone line service.

MovedGoalPosts
21-10-2004, 15:16
ADSL based broadband services rely on a telephone line, and thus need to have a BT based analogue phone service. NTL and Telewest Cable broadband is independent of a phone line or digital TV (although the one wire from the street can provide broadband, phone and TV services simultaneoulsy). Thus you can have any one of those cable based services, or combination of them, without needing others.

The cable companies often do package bundles throwing in the phone line (rental) for free. You don't have to take the free phone line, but you won't get the service cheaper if you don't. IMO however the cable based services start to work out a little costly compared to independent ADSL, Sky TV or BT type phone lines, if you don't take up the free phone line ditching the BT based phone in the process.

PS nobody has said it yet :welcome: to Cable Forum :D

mchu6am4
21-10-2004, 16:29
Thanks to all for your help

Ash :)

scrotnig
21-10-2004, 16:31
But that would end up being for a limited period.

I am on the broadband only, no phone line service.
True, but there was a 12 month one going recently. 12 months is plenty of time.

XFS03
24-10-2004, 04:08
...NTL and Telewest Cable broadband is independent of a phone line or digital TV (although the one wire from the street can provide broadband, phone and TV services simultaneoulsy). Thus you can have any one of those cable based services, or combination of them, without needing others...
...although ntl still force you to take their phone service with the TV service.

...The cable companies often do package bundles throwing in the phone line (rental) for free. You don't have to take the free phone line, but you won't get the service cheaper if you don't...
The "free" phone line actually costs £9.50 per month. This used to be made very clear when you ordered a TV service on-line, forcing you to order a phone service before you could order your TV package (and automatically adding the price to your basket).

The only warning you get now, when you order a TV package on-line, is some small print telling you that the price does not include the phone line rental, which you must have. The £9.50 line rental is no longer added to your basket automatically. The only price you see is the TV package price (e.g £10 for the base pack).

I think this is very misleading, allowing customers to think they will only be charged £10 per month, rather than £19.90.