PDA

View Full Version : Best way of Pitching an Idea....

heyyo
20-10-2004, 20:27
Hi,

I am going to be in meeting on tuesday as part of my work experience at the bbc and i am going to pitch ideas of how i think they can improve the bbc website...i have ideas already written

i was wondering whats the best way to present myself. i am new and would have never met these people before...how do i overcome critical feedback?

thanks

Tricky
20-10-2004, 20:32
Wow - tough subject - I hope you've done your research as the BBC website get top marks from every design site/book/magazine going for being well layed out and everything else.

All you can be is yourself...
You should be confident but not pushy
As for feedback - take it, don't try argue back unless that is what they are looking for? - Try 2nd guess what they might come back with you and plan for it...

I.e. if they suggest attracting more 40+ year olds how would your ideas help - Do you have any stats on who uses the site and what for? - They will

gary_580
20-10-2004, 20:37
one thing you should remember is that feedback although critical may not be intended to be destructive. Take the criticism on board, you dont have to respond to it there an then BUT you can talk around it.

Ive seen people take critical feedback very badly and you end up in a child - child transaction. Your the presenter and very much the person in control, so you have to assume the parent role and maybe switch into the adult role, however never be dragged into the child role by responding to criticism there and then. Just discuss it and understand the persons viewpoint and maybe get them to offer alternatives.

homealone
20-10-2004, 21:00
one thing you should remember is that feedback although critical may not be intended to be destructive. Take the criticism on board, you dont have to respond to it there an then BUT you can talk around it.

Ive seen people take critical feedback very badly and you end up in a child - child transaction. Your the presenter and very much the person in control, so you have to assume the parent role and maybe switch into the adult role, however never be dragged into the child role by responding to criticism there and then. Just discuss it and understand the persons viewpoint and maybe get them to offer alternatives.

:notopic: i've not seen those 'I'm OK - You're OK' terms for ages - I find they do help me with understanding my reactions to other people. :)

- I think in this case of dealing with criticism, answering a question, with a question, is justified, but if any of the site developers are present, do bear in mind they will be protective of their 'baby' - good luck :tu:

Maggy
20-10-2004, 21:17
Hi,

I am going to be in meeting on tuesday as part of my work experience at the bbc and i am going to pitch ideas of how i think they can improve the bbc website...i have ideas already written

i was wondering whats the best way to present myself. i am new and would have never met these people before...how do i overcome critical feedback?

thanks

You just make sure not to diss H2G2 which is the best part of the BBC site.In fact it's been used as a template for some of the site.

What's that?What's H2G2? It is the online edition of Douglas Adam's Hitchhikers Guide to the Universe.No not the stories an actual guide with researchers and guide entries with Don't Panic written on it. :D

homealone
20-10-2004, 22:03
You just make sure not to diss H2G2 which is the best part of the BBC site.In fact it's been used as a template for some of the site.

What's that?What's H2G2? It is the online edition of Douglas Adam's Hitchhikers Guide to the Universe.No not the stories an actual guide with researchers and guide entries with Don't Panic written on it. :D

I see that as a 'researcher', you have a fairly 'avant garde' following ;) :) :D

thankyou for telling me about this, Incog :tu: