PDA

View Full Version : Women

huggy bear
20-10-2004, 20:14
I had a bit of a ding dong with the missus last weekend, so Monday night she texts me saying I will see you Thursday. "Ok" I think to myself that's when I'll see her next. Today I was dumfounded to be texted several times getting onto me about why I had not contacted her :shrug:

Chimaera
20-10-2004, 20:16
Ah - you didn't have your telepathic head on then? ;)

tick
20-10-2004, 20:17
Trying to work them out.
this way lies madness

huggy bear
20-10-2004, 20:31
Trying to work them out.
this way lies madness
Well said :) . I'm off to the pub to reflect on things

punky
20-10-2004, 20:36
I agree women can be bizarre and even absurd sometimes, but I think she has a point. If it was me i'd at least message her something back in acknowledgement. Especially given that SMS is really haphazard. I have had texts disappear into the ether, arrive 3 weeks later, and become corrupted/truncated.

Escapee
20-10-2004, 21:02
I have had texts disappear into the ether, arrive 3 weeks later, and become corrupted/truncated.

no, thats exactly how women intend them to be :D

carlingman
20-10-2004, 23:27
Well to make up for things, you could always send her a nice peach.

:D

Shaun
20-10-2004, 23:49
Well to make up for things, you could always send her a nice peach.

I'm sure it'll be peachy in the end! :erm:

Nikko
21-10-2004, 00:04
SMS is not a reliable antidote to PMS

Maggy
21-10-2004, 00:19
Gives everyone THE LOOK particularily Nikko. :fit:

Nikko
21-10-2004, 00:34

Nothing personal, Coggy - my ex used to be a a nightmare 4 days a month.

The rest of the time she was insufferable.

Shaun
21-10-2004, 00:34

Calm down dear, it's just a troll thread! ;)

Mal
21-10-2004, 00:42
Calm down dear, it's just a troll thread! ;)
Here's me thinking that it was an advert for Esure and you were Michael Winner! ;)

punky
21-10-2004, 00:51

But I am the only one sticking up for the woman! To the ridicule of other blokes I might add.

Flaming women. Never satistified :)

(Kidding :))

Nikko
21-10-2004, 00:54
But I am the only one sticking up for the woman! To the ridicule of other blokes I might add.

Flaming women. Never satistified :)

(Kidding :))

Give them an inch, they want the other one.

marina
21-10-2004, 09:37
Give them an inch, they want the other one.Well if men didn't keep lying about how many inches there were in the first place......... there are men who claim there's an extra inch when there obviously isn't :eek: ;)

Why the hell shouldn't we make claim to that extra inch!!! :p:

Actually........ this argument reminds me of the London meet :erm: MEN!!! :D

Chris
21-10-2004, 10:05
Well said :) . I'm off to the pub to reflect on things
The Navigation House in Abercynon by any chance? :rolleyes: :dozey:

SOSAGES
21-10-2004, 10:24
having seen various people over the years fall into the trap - what u want to do is just be mean from the start not too cruel just saying no and putting your foot down they will sulk they will moan just ignore em if they like you within an hour they will forget about it as location location location or sex in the city comes on tv ..

oh and lie a lot

punky
21-10-2004, 13:25
Actually........ this argument reminds me of the London meet :erm: MEN!!! :D

What happened?

(And incidently men would love to live in a society where the size of your manhood isn;t the be all and end all, but unfortunately size matters, and women let us know it.)

altis
21-10-2004, 14:16
Why does it take three women with PMT to change a light bulb?

:mad: BECAUSE IT DOES!!!!! :mad: ;) :Sprint:

Stuart
21-10-2004, 23:45
Well if men didn't keep lying about how many inches there were in the first place.........
You mean that the gap between the two brackets following this question isn't 8 inches? ( )

Stuart
21-10-2004, 23:47
How many women does it take to change a light bulb?

One. ONE!! And do you know WHY it only takes ONE?
Because no one else in this house knows HOW to change a light bulb. They don't even know the bulb is BURNED OUT.
They would sit in this house in the dark for THREE DAYS before they figured it OUT. And once they figured it out they wouldn't be able to find the light bulbs despite the fact that they've been in the SAME CUPBOARD for the past SEVENTEEN YEARS.
But if they did, by some miracle, actually find the light bulbs, TWO DAYS LATER the chair that they dragged from two rooms over to stand on to change the STUPID light bulb would STILL BE IN THE SAME SPOT!!
AND UNDERNEATH IT WOULD BE THE CRUMPLED WRAPPER THE STUPID @*!#$% LIGHT BULBS CAME IN! WHY?! BECAUSE NO ONE IN THIS HOUSE EVER CARRIES OUT THE GARBAGE!!
IT'S A WONDER WE HAVEN'T ALL SUFFOCATED FROM THE PILES OF GARBAGE THAT ARE 12 FEET DEEP THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE HOUSE. THE HOUSE!! IT WOULD TAKE AN ARMY TO CLEAN THIS...I'm sorry...what did you ask me?

MovedGoalPosts
21-10-2004, 23:54
<snip bobbit style :shocked: >

I think you might need a vallium or two ;)

Stuart
22-10-2004, 00:01
I think you might need a vallium or two ;)
It was a joke...

Ramrod
22-10-2004, 07:52
My biggest gripe about women is how they can't stick to the point/problem being argued over. They just can't help dredging up sh*t that happened years ago every bl**dy time. On the rare occasions that we have an argument I have to keep dragging the 'discussion' back to the topic in hand. :mad:
On the other hand, I think their good points outweigh their faults.......beautiful, bewitching, sexy........ :D

marina
22-10-2004, 14:00
You mean that the gap between the two brackets following this question isn't 8 inches? ( )8 inches? Of course it is....... and it's a beautiful 8 inches..... and i don't know why you're so anxious about it, darling....... you know size doesn't matter to me :)

Or the 10 cm in diameter would be an issue........ ;) :p:

One. ONE!! And do you know WHY it only takes ONE?
Because no one else in this house knows HOW to change a light bulb. They don't even know the bulb is BURNED OUT.
.......... [Snipped... ooer!]I thought that was very funny :D
But if you don't need that valium....... there are some of us that do :D

I agree women can be bizarre and even absurd sometimes, but I think she has a point..........[Snipped]........ and i agree with Punky...... even with the bizarre and absurd bit but i've found that works both ways...... we just see and interpret things differently i suppose, but that doesn't meant that i find us women any easier to understand at times :shrug:
However.... i have been on the other end of a similar situation as the one described by Huggy Bear. I've been told that a meeting would take place about a week or more in advance and then not received any other communication before the set time :erm:
I suppose i just need more reassurance..... this particular man had cancelled at the last minute (and i mean minute) before. Things happen..... meetings get cancelled...... some people are more casual about them and don't think that the other person will mind or be put out :shrug:
I like to be a little more considerate :)
Perhaps this 'missus' feels neglected generally..... doesn't trust Huggy Bear........ has reason to believe that Huggy Bear is unreliable.....
Bit hard generalising about all women if we know nothing about Huggy's behaviour and how he's treated his 'missus' in the past.

Either way....... a little consideration for the other person doesn't kill you..... and if you love them, would it hurt to make them happy? :)

and yes......... i ignored you ramrod.......... another thing us women do well ;) But am sure that i'll bring up your last post in the future and make your life hell for it :p: ;)

Graham
23-10-2004, 02:30

Someone tried to do the "How many women with PMT does it take to change a light bulb?" joke in front of my ex-girlfriend once and was *very* surprised when he got the reply:

ONE! AND IT ISN'T FUNNY!!!

Gareth
23-10-2004, 23:57
*sigh* Women, can't live with 'em, can't kill 'em!

greencreeper
24-10-2004, 00:22
I had a bit of a ding dong with the missus last weekend, so Monday night she texts me saying I will see you Thursday. "Ok" I think to myself that's when I'll see her next. Today I was dumfounded to be texted several times getting onto me about why I had not contacted her :shrug:
"That's strange love. I texted you back saying <insert something soppy here>. I thought it was strange that you didn't text me back, but I thought you were still upset with me. It'll be network congestion - they drop texts"

Maggy
25-10-2004, 14:29
*sigh* Women, can't live with 'em, can't kill 'em!

Why don't we just insert the word people where ever it says men or women and see if it's just as funny? :rolleyes:

Russ
25-10-2004, 14:49
Perhaps for the same reason the way 'ladettes' don't replace the word 'men' with 'people' when they say "all men are b*****ds" ;)

Ramrod
25-10-2004, 14:55
"That's strange love. I texted you back saying <insert something soppy here>. I thought it was strange that you didn't text me back, but I thought you were still upset with me. It'll be network congestion - they drop texts"I like your thinking :D

Maggy
25-10-2004, 15:08
Perhaps for the same reason the way 'ladettes' don't replace the word 'men' with 'people' when they say "all men are b*****ds" ;)

Well I thought that was what I suggested that WE all do whomever or whatever our sex,sexuality and other preferences. :erm:

Marge
25-10-2004, 15:18

russ, have you been eavesdropping on me and bb31 :erm:

gary_580
25-10-2004, 15:27
russ, have you been eavesdropping on me and bb31 :erm:

no need too, women dont talk that quietly :D

Marge
25-10-2004, 15:39
no need too, women dont talk that quietly :D

oi :knock: :knock:

gary_580
25-10-2004, 21:34
oi :knock: :knock:

yes? :angel:

iadom
25-10-2004, 22:15
Why can't women cut unsliced bread properly,, just got the loaf out of the bread bin and it looks like a ski slope on the cut end.:mad:

Russ
25-10-2004, 22:17
Or throw properly?

Marge
25-10-2004, 22:20
Or throw properly?

mmmmm actually true of sorts, can't play darts to save my life :erm:

Russ
25-10-2004, 22:25
Or fold up a newspaper neatly after reading it??

gary_580
25-10-2004, 22:30
If your going to list everything youll end up with a thread longer than the Non Sequitur Thread

Time to :Sprint:

greencreeper
25-10-2004, 22:41
Why can't women cut unsliced bread properly,, just got the loaf out of the bread bin and it looks like a ski slope on the cut end.:mad:
oops: :blush:

punky
25-10-2004, 22:48

Awww leave them alone, they try their best, bless 'em.

*runs and hides* :Sprint: :angel:

1111Jvc
25-10-2004, 22:56
Awww leave them alone, they try their best, bless 'em.

*runs and hides* :Sprint: :angel:

Or get a true free speech site without people getting banned for saying what they think

punky
25-10-2004, 23:00
Or get a true free speech site without people getting banned for saying what they think

Jeez, it was only a joke. I was jokingly joining in with the women bashing by faux-patronising them.

greencreeper
25-10-2004, 23:02
Freedom of speech comes with responsibilities though, and it's not what you say that gets you banned, it's how you say it :)

Russ
25-10-2004, 23:03

Aww, there's peachy :)

You are the weakest link, goodbye :p:

punky
25-10-2004, 23:05
Aww, there's peachy :)

You are the weakest link, goodbye :p:

Was that Jerrek?

Russ
25-10-2004, 23:06
Was that Jerrek?

Read my comments again.......sssslllllooooowwwwwllllyyyyy... ;)

It's a kind of play-on-words :D

carlingman
25-10-2004, 23:10
Sniff Sniff someone mention peaches.

Russ
25-10-2004, 23:11
Not anymore they don't ;)

On with the topic in hand now.....

greencreeper
25-10-2004, 23:11
Alright. Enough. Someone explain this peaches thing. At times it's like MI5 on this forum :D

punky
25-10-2004, 23:12
Read my comments again.......sssslllllooooowwwwwllllyyyyy... ;)

It's a kind of play-on-words :D

Eh? Nevermind don't think it was him. Thought his surname began with C.

Russ
25-10-2004, 23:18
Just a banned member who keeps reregistering and gets caught every time.

Enough off-topic silliness now anyway.

Where were we? Ah yes, women. Rubbish at parking too :angel:

carlingman
25-10-2004, 23:20
Alright. Enough. Someone explain this peaches thing. At times it's like MI5 on this forum :D

Well dont know whether we can as Peachey is male and this thread is about Women so it may be a little :notopic:

But Peachey was a member here and was banned some time ago and every day reappears is some new username until he is hunted out by the Mods/Admin and sussed by some of the ever alert members here.

Sorry to shatter your illusions but nothing MI5 about it.

danielf
25-10-2004, 23:23
Well dont know whether we can as Peachey is male and this thread is about Women so it may be a little :notopic:

But Peachey was a member here and was banned some time ago and every day reappears is some new username until he is hunted out by the Mods/Admin and sussed by some of the ever alert members here.

Sorry to shatter your illusions but nothing MI5 about it.

I thought peachey was [ [Mod Edit] (Chris T):Off topic speculation removed ]

Russ
25-10-2004, 23:25
Enough talk about banned members please :)

Chris
25-10-2004, 23:25
Enough, people! Peachey is gone again, and speculation as to his/her identity is not for this thread. Besides, it's unfair to those who may be wrongly tarred in the process.

A little post editing, methinks...

Stuart
25-10-2004, 23:43
Of course, it could be argued that for several days each month, women have an excuse for being angry or moody.

And anyone who says that women's bodies don't synchronise their periods with their friends has never worked in an office with all women. I used to, and for about 3-4 days per month nothing I could do at work would be right. Luckily, although my line manager was a women, the owner of the company was a man and also experienced the same thing as me.

Anyway, I digress. Not all women suffer badly from PMT. Some do (as do their boyfriends, brothers, husbands, male friends etc), but a lot don't.

Anyway, I love women. I find it amazing how, according to women, a man can go from being the best person on earth to the spawn of the devil (and back again) in less than 3 minutes. I know. I have actually done this (and was called "the spawn of the devil" by the woman concerned - all I'd actually done was bought and watched Pulp Fiction).

Russ
25-10-2004, 23:47
Oh yeah, I love women too - it's the lesbians I don't get along with. They take up women and eliminate a bloke's options :D

It's for this reason I think gay men are cool - less blokes equals more women to go around :p:

*legs it :Sprint:

Marge
25-10-2004, 23:57
Whoa Whoa, I can park damm good...................

and drink as well :erm: had several galsses sorry :blush:

danielf
26-10-2004, 00:00
Oh yeah, I love women too - it's the lesbians I don't get along with. They take up women and eliminate a bloke's options :D

It's for this reason I think gay men are cool - less blokes equals more women to go around :p:

*legs it :Sprint:

Whilst I fully agree with your sentiments, I do wonder how that statement goes down at your local church meeting ? :D

danielf
26-10-2004, 00:01

Is that glasses or gals? :)

Russ
26-10-2004, 00:02
Whilst I fully agree with your sentiments, I do wonder how that statement goes down at your local church meeting ? :D

Nothing wrong with it, and if you really want to know why, PM me and I'll tell you :D

Yeah......sure you do :p:

Marge
26-10-2004, 00:04
Is that glasses or gals? :)

whoops, should be glasses however i am at bb31's house ;)

danielf
26-10-2004, 00:16
Nothing wrong with it, and if you really want to know why, PM me and I'll tell you :D

If you can say it at your church meeting, then surely you can say it here :D

Do tell :naughty:

punky
26-10-2004, 00:16

God you are asking trouble saying that! :naughty:

Russ
26-10-2004, 00:18
If you can say it at your church meeting, then surely you can say it here :D

Yes but that would be off-topic :D

Marge
26-10-2004, 00:24
God you are asking trouble saying that! :naughty:

you boys, *tut tut* thinking we're up to no good ;)

danielf
26-10-2004, 00:24
Yes but that would be off-topic :D

You could start a new thread entitled:

Hi, my name is Russ D, and as a pentecostal Christian, I think gay people are cool as more gays results in more women going around for us blokes (to marry obviously, as you're only supposed to have one woman, but I can choose a nicer one now, I mean it's not as if I would errm, would this be a good time to get my coat..?) :p: :angel:

Graham
26-10-2004, 00:29

Hi, my name is Russ D, and as a pentecostal Christian, I think gay people are cool as more gays results in more women going around for us blokes (to marry obviously, as you're only supposed to have one woman, but I can choose a nicer one now, I mean it's not as if I would errm, would this be a good time to get my coat...) :p: :angel:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sorry, but I just couldn't bear to edit one word of that :D

Russ
26-10-2004, 00:33

Hi, my name is Russ D, and as a pentecostal Christian, I think gay people are cool as more gays results in more women going around for us blokes (to marry obviously, as you're only supposed to have one woman, but I can choose a nicer one now, I mean it's not as if I would errm, would this be a good time to get my coat..?) :p: :angel:

Well it looks like you've done it for me! Although I the stress the 'more women' bit is in order to give us more choice, and not 'more to play with' :)

And as for your last line, don't worry, we'll post it once your ban has been finalised :D

danielf
26-10-2004, 00:44
Well it looks like you've done it for me! Although I the stress the 'more women' bit is in order to give us more choice, and not 'more to play with' :)

<snip> but I can choose a nicer one now, <snip>

And as for your last line, don't worry, we'll post it once your ban has been finalised :D

Am I in twuble now? :angel: :p:

Graham
26-10-2004, 00:48

Ah, but sometimes it's worth it! :D

Russ
26-10-2004, 00:52

Yes

danielf
26-10-2004, 00:57
Yes

Oh dear... :(

punky
26-10-2004, 01:00
Oh dear... :(

Don't worry, I am painting the: "Unban The CableForum One" signs now :)

Russ
26-10-2004, 01:02
We could easily make it two if you continue to poke your nose in :D :p:

danielf
26-10-2004, 01:07
Don't worry, I am painting the: "Unban The CableForum One" signs now :)

We could easily make it two if you continue to poke your nose in :D :p:

One for all, and all for one :ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

Time for bed now (for me) gentlemen. It's been fun :)

Stuart
26-10-2004, 01:38
I never question a woman's ability to drink. I have one Aunt that can drink more than anyone I know (me included), and I have a female friend who can down a pint of Guinness in one (which is an achievement in itself) faster than anyone I know, male or female.

iadom
31-10-2004, 14:03
Why can't women cut unsliced bread properly,, just got the loaf out of the bread bin and it looks like a ski slope on the cut end.:mad:See what I mean, she's done it again,

On the left is the first slice I had to take to level it up, and on the right is my second slice,
Why is this so difficult ladies,:confused: :)

And before you ask, the chocs are for any children who have made a decent effort tonight.:cool:

greencreeper
31-10-2004, 20:59
See what I mean, she's done it again,

On the left is the first slice I had to take to level it up, and on the right is my second slice,

And before you ask, the chocs are for any children who have made a decent effort tonight.:cool:
She's going to kill you - not for the bread but for revealing the dust on top of the Iced Diamond to all the world :p: :D

MovedGoalPosts
31-10-2004, 21:15
She's going to kill you - not for the bread but for revealing the dust on top of the Iced Diamond to all the world :p: :D

He might have got away with it, if you hadn't drawn attention to the schoolboy error :disturbd:

Maggy
31-10-2004, 22:18

Good for her.I can't think of a better way of getting out of the chore of sandwich/toastmaking.It's what my husband does. ;) In fact I predict that most of the cr@ppy bread slicing is done by men. :p:

MovedGoalPosts
31-10-2004, 22:24
On the other hand the sensible approach is to get consistently sizes slices, done in the machine at the bakery.

danielf
31-10-2004, 22:40
On the other hand the sensible approach is to get consistently sizes slices, done in the machine at the bakery.

You'll be surprised at the number of people on this forum that make their own bread. (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=16144)

MovedGoalPosts
31-10-2004, 22:41
You'll be surprised at the number of people on this forum that make their own bread. (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=16144)

Since my culinary skills extend to stabbing it twice and waiting for it to go PING!, the last thing I'd have paid attention to was that thread ;)

greencreeper
31-10-2004, 22:58
He might have got away with it, if you hadn't drawn attention to the schoolboy error :disturbd:
oops:

Florence
31-10-2004, 23:11
Just a banned member who keeps reregistering and gets caught every time.

Enough off-topic silliness now anyway.

Where were we? Ah yes, women. Rubbish at parking too :angel:
and I suppose there are no men that are rubbish :mad:

Florence
31-10-2004, 23:13

You are so good you can have the job Permenantly

punky
31-10-2004, 23:19
You are so good you can have the job Permenantly

Yeah, be careful Iadom, or you might find your sarnie supply drying up all of a sudden :)

About the parking thing. A little while ago, I was out with a female friend of mine. I went to parallel park, bosh bosh bosh, done. Car actually parallel to the curb, wheels a few inches away. Took me a couple of seconds and I guess I made it look easy (experience I guess), and she was gobsmacked. She has a Ka (who on earth can't park a Ka?), and said she wished she, and her mates found it that easy. I was chuffed to say the least. It wern't even my mum's old 5 series either.

iadom
31-10-2004, 23:36
just to let you all know,
greenkeeper
1. I dust on top of the freezer and fridge when I defrost them, it is not good practice to drag them out more often than that.
Incognitas
2. I was cutting the bread to make her toast ( I have oven bottom muffins) to go with the breakfast that I prepare every Sunday.

3. I also cook 80% of the meals and do 95% of the washing up, all the vacuuming, half the washing, ironing, dusting, cleaning the bathroom etc, etc. I also do some of the shopping as well so there.:p: :angel:

MovedGoalPosts
31-10-2004, 23:47
3. I also cook 80% of the meals and do 95% of the washing up, all the vacuuming, half the washing, ironing, dusting, cleaning the bathroom etc, etc. I also do some of the shopping as well so there.:p: :angel:

So guess who wears the trousers in your house :p:

kronas
31-10-2004, 23:53
So guess who wears the trousers in your house :p:

so who wears the skirt ? :erm: :disturbd: :p: ;)

Xaccers
31-10-2004, 23:55
Yeah, be careful Iadom, or you might find your sarnie supply drying up all of a sudden :)

About the parking thing. A little while ago, I was out with a female friend of mine. I went to parallel park, bosh bosh bosh, done. Car actually parallel to the curb, wheels a few inches away. Took me a couple of seconds and I guess I made it look easy (experience I guess), and she was gobsmacked. She has a Ka (who on earth can't park a Ka?), and said she wished she, and her mates found it that easy. I was chuffed to say the least. It wern't even my mum's old 5 series either.

It's a known biological fact that men are better at spacial awareness tasks than women.
And before the women get up and throw things at me (as if they could hit me :disturbd: ) it's also a known biological fact that women are better at comunicating (except to a bloke when he's done something wrong), multitasking (remember women have a motorway between the two halfs of their brains, men have a dirt track), and gazing at men's bums without being caught (it's true, your periferal vision is better than us bloke's)

kronas
31-10-2004, 23:57
ah, good old science :)

punky
02-11-2004, 13:33
I dare say by posting this, I'll get branded a mysoganist. I don't hate women, actually far from it. (if I did hate them, it would save me a lot of grief and heartache), but I do hate inequality, injustice and elitism.

I managed to catch the second half of "Britain's secret shame" today, where it exclusively talked about deaths of women prisoners. Now, trying to prevent the death of prisoners, is admirable. But that only women prisoners deserve that effort and the men can be thrown to the wolves? What kind of country are we leading to where we keep getting these programs that portray women are special, and elite, and therefore worthy of protection, that men aren't allowed? The stats are, that 85 men died in prison, while 9 women died. Admitted the percentage does work out that women are twice as likely to die, but isn't 85 deaths worse than 9? Couple that with the fact there are all these women-only outreach programs, and they get linient sentencing anyway.

I believe in the "one world, one people" principal, where gender and race are taken out of the equation. There shouldn't be any such thing as "male criminals" and "female criminals". You should only have criminals and non criminals, and I really despise the way people say "let's help these people over here, but not over there". By keep partitioning society into all these different groups will never give us equality. I am not saying we should stop helping women with this, or that, but everyone should be helped, as a whole.

Am I crazy, or being mysoganist or do I have a point? If you disagree, please don't red rep, please prove me wrong. I am not trying to preach hate against women, but the opposite, I want women AND men to be respected.

Stats: http://www.official-documents.co.uk/document/cm59/5996/5996.pdf

BBKing
02-11-2004, 16:19
Admitted the percentage does work out that women are twice as likely to die, but isn't 85 deaths worse than 9?

You've said it yourself - why, given the small percentage of women in prison as a proportion of the prison population, are they twice as likely to commit suicide? That's a question worthy of an answer.

punky
02-11-2004, 16:37
You've said it yourself - why, given the small percentage of women in prison as a proportion of the prison population, are they twice as likely to commit suicide? That's a question worthy of an answer.

But there are almost 10 times as many men dying? The problem should be looked at regardless if you are male or female.

BTW, the deaths refer to self-inflicted ones, which is what the program seemed to focus on.

Stuart
02-11-2004, 17:19
But there are almost 10 times as many men dying? The problem should be looked at regardless if you are male or female.

BTW, the deaths refer to self-inflicted ones, which is what the program seemed to focus on.

I agree. It's bad that people see the death of one person as somehow being more serious, or more important than another. Suicide (or any form of death) is bad. Period. People's gender, sexuality, age, or race is irrelevant.

The only people who those facts may be relevant to are the people investigating the circumstances of the death (be they police, prison guards or whatever). Even suicides need to be investigated..

punky
02-11-2004, 17:51
Don't get me wrong, the reasons as to why people commit suicide in jail should be investigated and the increased risk of women (0.209% versus 0.127%), should be a factpr, but it is the fact when it comes to do sometrhing, they only aim it at women.

There was a mother who was campaigning for better jails after her daughter commited suicide. She was completely focused about women. She obviously doesn't respect the pain a mother would feel if she lost her son to suicide in jail.

Stuart
02-11-2004, 19:27
Don't get me wrong, the reasons as to why people commit suicide in jail should be investigated and the increased risk of women (0.209% versus 0.127%), should be a factpr, but it is the fact when it comes to do sometrhing, they only aim it at women.

True. Not sure I put it well, but that's basically what I am saying. To those investing the suicide, the gender of the person who died is relevant. To most other people, it shouldn't really be relevant.

marina
02-11-2004, 19:36

There was a mother who was campaigning for better jails after her daughter commited suicide. She was completely focused about women. She obviously doesn't respect the pain a mother would feel if she lost her son to suicide in jail.
There have been many studies completed on suicide and deaths of prisoners in custody....... as this report (see attached) suggests, the focus has usually been on male prisoners because they constitute the majority, so perhaps you're over exaggerating the significance of studies on women only prisoners :shrug: I'm not sure that anyone has been excluded but it might be more of a case of trying to get a more rounded view.
Oh i don't know........ just got home and to honest i don't care ;)

punky
02-11-2004, 20:52
the focus has usually been on male prisoners because they constitute the majority

Yeah that is just as bad. I think anything should be done holistically rather than just targeting specific groups. I appreciate what you are saying. Maybe because that report is australian, that things are different down there. It isn't always all about women, as it is sometimes down to race instead of sex. The program just aggravated me a bit. The same thing happened again a few days ago in that US prison thread. I think it is because women have all these rights and monitoring groups behind them, coupled with a revered place in society. Maybe I am making a big deal out of it, but right or wrong it aggravated me. I hate men, or anyone being marginalised just as the women were back in the 50s too.

Edit: My typing sucks lately.

marina
03-11-2004, 08:54
Yeah that is just as bad. I think anything should be done holistically rather than just targeting specific groups. I appreciate what you are saying. Maybe because that report is australian, that things are different down there. It isn't always all about women, as it is sometimes down to race instead of sex. The program just aggravated me a bit. The same thing happened again a few days ago in that US prison thread. I think it is because women have all these rights and monitoring groups behind them, coupled with a revered place in society. Maybe I am making a big deal out of it, but right or wrong it aggravated me. I hate men, or anyone being marginalised just as the women were back in the 50s too.

Edit: My typing sucks lately.Don't get me wrong Punky :) I couldn't agree with you more........ i was only making a suggestion as to why more specific studies are done in general. The document i used was Australian but i posted it not because it's about female prisoners but because it refers to other studies which are about men. Since all credible research has to be evidence-based if you check the references at the end of the document, it refers back to specific research done in the UK which includes either all prisoners or male specific examples :) If you look at http://cebmh.warne.ox.ac.uk/cebmh/elmh/nelmh/suicide/prison/statistics/index.html it does provide statistics on self-inflicted injuries leading to death for sex and race. Researchers are out there studying those issues that we both think are important and i could post examples (copyright allowing of course ;) ) but i don't want to bore anyone more than i already have :D I'm afraid the Mass Media focuses on issues that fit their agenda, whether it's to do with sensationalism, to create a superficially new groundbreaking piece of news or to fit in with what they think is currently already news :shrug:
While television is the main source of educational information for the majority...... i'm afraid that some of these programmes may create the false impression that some of these issues are new :( I've seen this many times before and remember thinking "Eh?" but if a television programme hasn't been made about it before then it doesn't exist :shrug:

Punky :tu: I'm not arguing with you...... as i said i agree with you totally, i just think that it's television and the mass media that is the problem not the issue that is portrayed :)

Stuart
03-11-2004, 09:13
Punky :tu: I'm not arguing with you...... as i said i agree with you totally, i just think that it's television and the mass media that is the problem not the issue that is portrayed :)

True.. I can see the need to investigate why certain groups commit suicide, after all, if the authorities can find out what is causing the suicides, they may be able to stop some of them.

I do agree, however, that the media do sensationalise the news, and they certainly prevent certain stories that, while they may not be out and out lies, they do bend the truth a bit. It does sometimes seem that if something happens to a certain group (be it ethnic, gender, age or sexuality), the media sometimes pushes that despite the fact that that person's group may have nothing to do with it.

For example, a woman walks along the street. She is attacked and robbed. The media may well push the fact that she is a woman, and totally ignore the fact that the mugger was going to attack whoever walked by, regardless of gender. I am not saying gender, ethnic group, age or sexuality are never factors in crime. Often they are.

The sad thing is that many people base their opinions of the world on what they see in the media (all forms), so, by manipulating the news (or the way it's covered), the media may be controlling (at least partially) these people's opinions.

Back to the subject in hand: Why is it that women seem to be allowed to say what they want about men, but as soon as men do the same, that's sexist?

marina
03-11-2004, 10:20
[Snipped]..........

Back to the subject in hand: Why is it that women seem to be allowed to say what they want about men, but as soon as men do the same, that's sexist?As far as i'm concerned...... men saying what they want about men is just fine and not sexist at all ;) :D

As far as comments being deemed sexist or any other ist or not........ i believe it has something to do with the power relationship between the two groups involved. However...... as far as i'm concerned..... a sexist comment is a sexist comment from either a man or a woman. A sexist comment isn't dictated by who says it but by what is said.
but then not everyone is pounced on for everything they say whether it's in jest or not........ this forum is an example :)

Stuart
03-11-2004, 12:05
I do agree, however, that the media do sensationalise the news, and they certainly prevent certain stories that, while they may not be out and out lies, they do bend the truth a bit. It does sometimes seem that

Erm, the word "prevent" (highlighted) should say "present"..

marina
03-11-2004, 12:15
Erm, the word "prevent" (highlighted) should say "present"..
Just as well i misread it then :D

Or we're just on the same ley lines :p:

Stuart
03-11-2004, 13:07
Actually, thinking about it, "prevent" and "present" are both quite accurate..