PDA

View Full Version : Food that makes you gip

Salu
20-10-2004, 15:16
:sick:

What food makes you gip? Probably as a childhood bad experience with it or maybe associated with a bad meal....whatever. Tell us why as well.

I HATE fudge. It way too gloopy and sugary. Like eating a lump of lard..... YUCK...!

My wife cannot abide coriander. Even the smell from a plant growing on a kitchen windowsill sends her stomach turning....

Chris W
20-10-2004, 15:18
baked beans :sick:

wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

Don't know why, but everything about them is just nasty.

Maggy
20-10-2004, 15:20

What food makes you gip? Probably as a childhood bad experience with it or maybe associated with a bad meal....whatever. Tell us why as well.

I HATE fudge. It way too gloopy and sugary. Like eating a lump of lard..... YUCK...!

My wife cannot abide coriander. Even the smell from a plant growing on a kitchen windowsill sends her stomach turning....

Gristle.I can be :sick: just thinking about it. :Sprint:

Chris P Bitz
20-10-2004, 15:22
Steak and kidney pie........lots of TP needed for the aftermath of THAT one.

Bifta
20-10-2004, 15:24
Liver & Kidney's, in fact, any kind of offal.

Jon M
20-10-2004, 15:28
I pride myself on liking everything, and living up to my "dustbin" reputation.

... :erm:

nope.. can't think of anything :(

gazzae
20-10-2004, 15:29
Oranges, I hate the smell can't be in the same room as someone eating one.

bob_builder
20-10-2004, 15:29
Runny Eggs!

I enjoy eating hard-boiled eggs though!!

Chris
20-10-2004, 15:50
Seafood. I like one or two fish, like cod or haddock, but anything that lived in a shell or had arms (or both) just makes my squirm.

homealone
20-10-2004, 15:54
Tripe - I've never been able to bring myself to even try it, just the imagination of the texture is enough to make me retch. :erm:

Electrolyte01
20-10-2004, 15:55
Onions. Hate them.

Ramrod
20-10-2004, 15:55
Rare meat, raw eggs and flying ants :sick:

bbwannabe
20-10-2004, 15:57
liver... EUGH.

Jon M
20-10-2004, 16:07
Rare meat, raw eggs and flying ants :sick:
So, when did you try eating flying ants?

I can understand if it was for a dare.. or money.. i've snorted a tadpole in the past.. and eaten ring pulls*

* don't try this at home kids, it's very silly

Mal
20-10-2004, 16:08
The kidney in a steak and kidney pie :sick:

Russ
20-10-2004, 16:10
I ate alligator meat live on air a few weeks ago as a stunt....never again... :(

Chris
20-10-2004, 16:10
The kidney in a steak and kidney pie :sick:
Eugh, yes, kidney, because unsurprisingly it tastes like p*ss. Why does anybody eat it?

Mmmm, look, there's an organ that a sheep used to use to manufacture its p*ss. I bet that's tasty, why don't I eat it. WHY, WHY, WHY? :sick: :sick:

bob_builder
20-10-2004, 16:15
Seafood. I like one or two fish, like cod or haddock, but anything that lived in a shell or had arms (or both) just makes my squirm.
Oh yeah, me to - I can eat anything normal like cod, haddock, plaice, salmon, tuna, pilchards, sardines, etc. but any shell-fish makes me gag (shrimps, prawns, skampi, etc.) and I have not dared to try anything like cockles, muscles, oysters, etc.!

I once got given a prawn salad for the starter of a posh meal and had to swallow them whole so I did not taste them!!

Halcyon
20-10-2004, 16:17
Olives and Ghurkins.

bob_builder
20-10-2004, 16:17
I ate alligator meat live on air a few weeks ago as a stunt....never again... :(
Interesting... I have eaten crocodile twice now and it tastes just like salty, chewey chicken (really). How does it differ from alligator?

Nugget
20-10-2004, 16:20
Interesting... I have eaten crocodile twice now and it tastes just like salty, chewey chicken (really). How does it differ from alligator?

They make it a lot snappier!

Sorry

homealone
20-10-2004, 16:21

I imagine the crocodile was dead - Russ said his alligator was 'live' :D

- I know :nono: ;)

Salu
20-10-2004, 16:24
Why do we all hate these things though? Childhood experience or is it in built? Dodgy night out etc etc

It makes me wonder if we can be "conditioned" to re-like them??

Russ
20-10-2004, 16:28
No idea what croc tastes like but alligator is VERY chewy, but I found it to taste a bit like those hotdog sausages that come in tins. A bit smokey too, possibly a bit Cajun. Something felt very wrong when I was eating it though †“ surely it should have been the other way around :D

dilli-theclaw
20-10-2004, 16:29
I throw up even just by SMELLING olives.....

I also hate fish :)

Chris
20-10-2004, 16:42
No idea what croc tastes like but alligator is VERY chewy, but I found it to taste a bit like those hotdog sausages that come in tins. A bit smokey too, possibly a bit Cajun. Something felt very wrong when I was eating it though †“ surely it should have been the other way around :D
:rofl: pmsl .... genuine cajun 'gator meat! That would make sense, seeing as the animal and the spice come from the same corner of the world. Must be all the hapless tourists the alligator ate before being caught and cooked for your own delectation.

bob_builder
20-10-2004, 17:22
Why do we all hate these things though? Childhood experience or is it in built? Dodgy night out etc etc

Well, I have just remembered I once felt very ill after taking some chicken soup to junior school in a flask (which I had done many times before). I do not know if it was the soup that made me ill or something else but it took me until university to brave it again and now I am fine with it!

Stu038
20-10-2004, 17:25
Half cooked streaky bacon errgggggghh :sick: a bit of a Jack Sprat I suppose, I prefer to have my meats well cooked to avoid any of that horrible slimy yucky fat.

I can't think of anything in my childhood that might have caused it, unlike the strong aversion I have to Bacardi and coke, I can remember exactly why I don't like that or rather I can't remember it if you get my drift ;)

Possibly, with the right treatments. The shrinks seem to be able to do wonders these days with so many other conditions.

Why? are we witnessing the birth of a Frankenstein or Pavlov here? :D

marcopolio
21-10-2004, 14:51
Cheesecake! After being forced to eat this by a teacher when I was 7 or 8, I then proceeded to throw up, viciously and constantly for the remainder of the day. (This was in the days when kids sat down with one teacher per table at lunch!).

12 years later, after refusing steadfastly to eat, touch or smell the food because it made me feel ill, I ate some by accident at a buffet. And then realised what I was missing out on! Boy, did I feel stupid.

IMO, it is just the experience of being ill that is then associated with that particular food. Try these foods again, cooked / prepared well and you will be fine.

For the people that can't eat particular foods just on the thought of them........ erm, no idea.

ian@huth
21-10-2004, 15:02
Brussel sprouts

Fish with bones in and eyes staring at you.

Milk that isn't chilled.

jarrvo
21-10-2004, 15:06
Semolina Pudding
and
custurd

from school dinners as a kid.

Chris
21-10-2004, 15:18
Cheesecake!
Ooo, you'll want to avoid visiting here (http://www.thecheesecakefactory.com/) then! I was taken out for dinner at the Coconut Grove branch (Miami) last January. Muchos muchos cheesecake to be had ... and I am now convinced that no so-called cheesecak I have ever eaten before or since is truly worthy of the title. :drool:

Maggy
21-10-2004, 15:20
Gristle is gristle is gristle and there is no way I'll ever get used to it.I therefore hate Burger King Beefburgers,anyone's sausages,ready made meat pies,skate,dutch eel,and anything that contains cartilage of any kind.

Now I feel like throwing up again. :Yikes:

Nemesis
21-10-2004, 15:24
MARMITE

:erm: :erm: :no: :no: :sick: :sick:

MovedGoalPosts
21-10-2004, 15:25
Milk that isn't chilled.

Oh yes, or perhaps Noooooooooooooooooo :Yikes: Ever since you were forced as a kid to have that little carton of stuff at morning break that had been sat absorbing the sun's rays outside the classroom door ever since the crate was abandoned there by the milko. :sick: It was enough to put me off milk for life, Even today can't bring myself to drink the stuff other than the smallest amount drizzled over breakfast cereal.

School meals have so much to be blamed for. What was that tasteless orange "vegatable" they served - suede (not sure of the spelling). :Sprint:

MovedGoalPosts
21-10-2004, 15:27
MARMITE

:erm: :erm: :no: :no: :sick: :sick:
I'm amazed it took someone so long to come up with that :dozey:

ZrByte
21-10-2004, 15:48
Peas, the mere smell of them makes me bork. Funny thing is I like mushy peas, though only if they are from frozen (Not tinned).

gary_580
21-10-2004, 15:51
Any green leafy vegetable thats cooked. Raw is fine but cooked hmmm not a pretty sight.

Stuart
21-10-2004, 16:04
I like most food, but absolutly hate:

Seafood (any kind): Not sure why, just don't like eating food that has swum in the sea.

Liver: I was forced to eat this at school, was violently ill (which caused my mum to make an official complaint to the school) and haven't been able to touch it since.

Tomatos: I do like tomatos if they are in something, such as a sauce, but cannot eat them on their own.

Liquer: The stuff that cockneys have their pie or eels covered in when in a pie and mash shop.. That stuff is wrong, it's like trying to eat a combination of glue and snot. When I go to our local pie and mash shop, I do have a pie and mash, but no liquer..

zoombini
21-10-2004, 16:24
Tomato Ketchup, I feel sick just being in the same room as it.
Want to make me go Green, put ketchup on ya chips...

Also Swede's make me feel sick.

Marmite makes me smile..

ian@huth
21-10-2004, 17:17
Any green leafy vegetable thats cooked. Raw is fine but cooked hmmm not a pretty sight.

I prefer most vegetables raw, carrots, peas, cauliflower, turnip, swede, cabbage, etc. Cooking destroys the taste and texture for me.

MARMITE is YUMMY not yukky.

bigitup_j
21-10-2004, 17:29
MARMITE is YUMMY not yukky.
i agree! :drool:

i hate cauliflower :sick: the smell makes me feel sick...yuk, yuk,yuk! :(

smegs
21-10-2004, 17:51
Fish all kinds and any other sort of sea food if i eat it i'm really :sick:

iadom
21-10-2004, 17:53
Breast of Lamb, layers of skin, fat and gristle with a sliver of meat, my dad used to say " you will sit there till you eat it " then my mum would sneak it away when he turned his back. Any fat or gristle, cowheel, tripe. Any exoctic things such as sheeps eyes or grubs would make me ill, but anything else is in danger if it gets near my plate, all vegetables, meat ( inc liver and kidney ), poultry, seafood, I love it.:cool:

Shaun
21-10-2004, 18:45
Milk that isn't chilled.

Milk at all :shudder:

Dave Stones
21-10-2004, 18:53
ohh where to start...

MARMITE
melted cheese
any type of pasta/spaghetti/flour creation boiled in water (just looks and tastes like a rubbery piece of crap)
pizza
strong cheese
peas

i could go on and on...

Shaun
21-10-2004, 18:56
ohh where to start...

MARMITE
melted cheese
any type of pasta/spaghetti/flour creation boiled in water (just looks and tastes like a rubbery piece of crap)
pizza
strong cheese
peas

i could go on and on...

So what do you eat?

homealone
21-10-2004, 19:47
So what do you eat?

weak cheese ? ;)

(not melted though, obviously :D )

daxx
21-10-2004, 20:15
beetroot, boiled, pickled whatever can't even touch the stuff without retching

Shaun
21-10-2004, 20:19
beetroot, boiled, pickled whatever can't even touch the stuff without retching

So thats not you in your avatar! All that purple ;)

daxx
21-10-2004, 20:50
So thats not you in your avatar! All that purple ;)
wouldn't be allowed to use my 'proper' avatar on here :) , boiled beetroot is a kind of pucey (dark reddy color), wouldn't call it purple

Chimaera
21-10-2004, 22:04
Well if you want to see some projectile vomiting just give me barbecue sauce! :sick:
Milk is nasty too, and shellfish (I can just about manage prawns though)
And pears :sick: :sick: :sick:

Paul K
21-10-2004, 22:09

What food makes you gip?
Meat ;) for obvious reasons :p:
Used to hate cabbage, sprouts etc but the one I used to hate with a vengence and did actually projectile vomit a couple of times was........
Junior school (look it up in the history books kiddies) shepherds pie. Some form of brown sludge with with slime on top that used to smell like a glue factory cast off. Still haven't figured out how they made it taste like rancid horse offal :erm: