PDA

View Full Version : router questions

whatever
16-08-2003, 02:20
can anyone tell me if the netgear WGR614 wireless router is compatible with my cablemodem and broadband connection?

if not, any other 802.11g wireless routers that are known to work?

also is there any limit on the number of machines using the shared connection on my local network?

Xaccers
16-08-2003, 06:41
Looks compatible
Course as far as I know, 54Mbps is very short range...
(but it'll be backward compatible to 22, so you'll be ok)

Remember, you're only alowed a couple of PC's connected to your broadband line (NTL's AUP states it, think the limit is 3. Of course your router will be able to handle many more than this)

And you'll need to secure it with WEP (course this can be easily broken into but it's better than nothing. my dlink (22Mbps) can restrict access to specific MAC addresses)
don't want your neighbours or passers by using your connection to download naughty things now do you? and nor do NTL! again it's in the AUP
Oh and you aren't allowed to connect to it from outside your house (course to guarentee that, you'd have to lead line your house!)

Aquillae
16-08-2003, 08:23
The WGR614 will work fine, mine does :D

As for security a WPA (802.1x) firmware upgrade will be available soon

whatever
16-08-2003, 14:00
why does it matter whether i am inside or outside my house though? and how the hell are they supposed to tell anyway - do they drive round looking for people sat outside with laptops or something? somehow i think perhaps not.

how pointless can you get?

are they really saying that it's ok to use a wireless connection for my desktop (which is going to be like 12 inches away from the router) but if i want to sit in the garden with a laptop i have to run a length of cat5 out the window?

can anyone from ntl confirm this please?

i feel a .com thread starting........

Lord Nikon
16-08-2003, 14:52
there is a significant difference between what you CAN do and what you are ALLOWED to do lol

I think the using wifi outside falls into a "broadcast" issue, but I wouldn't worry, as for the 3 machines max.. if you are proxying the connection then only 1 machine is seen by the net anyway.....

Xaccers
16-08-2003, 22:09
It's to stop people selling on their BB to other people in their block of flats etc
If someone does this, then gets into trouble with the police cos a neighbour is downloading stuff they shouldn't, NTL can wash their hands and say "well we told you not to do it!" (and rightly so)