PDA

View Full Version : ntl and freeview

jodieclare
20-10-2004, 12:27
I am looking into changing from ntl to freeview but have concerns around the aerial in my flat. When I moved in we had no picture at all until ntl was fitted which makes me think that the aerial is not wired correctly. Can anyone help me understand whether ntl disconnect the aerial when they connect cable? I am concerned that ntl could be removed and I will be left without tv reception.

Also the aerial point in my bedroom which has nothing to do with ntl does not provide a good reception either. This makes me doubt whether the aerial works at all.

Thank you

Graham F
20-10-2004, 12:31
it sounds like you will need a new arieal to pick freeview as it is struggling to pick the analogue signal it has no chance of picking up the digital signal.

EDIT :welcome: to the site btw :D

jodieclare
20-10-2004, 12:33
thanks - so my aerial reception as it is at the moment is the same as it will be after ntl is removed?

Chris
20-10-2004, 12:42
thanks - so my aerial reception as it is at the moment is the same as it will be after ntl is removed?
The aerial, its cable, and the socket in the wall that lets you plug your telly into it, is an entirely separate system to anything NTL has installed in your flat. NTL cutting off your service will not affect it in any way. If it had no picture before NTL came along, it will have no picture after the cable TV service is gone. If you plug your TV into the aerial socket and nothing happens, then either there is no aerial on the other end (don't mean to be funny, but have you had a look and confirmed that you have an aerial? If you're in shared premises, you can't be sure that an aerial you see on the roof is actually yours), or the cable has become damaged. Either way, you probably need the services of a professional aerial installer.

kobuskint
21-10-2004, 12:24
If off threat, blast me.

I am going to buy a Freeview STB for my mother-in-law (jokes welcome). Knowing the Sony bunch a little bit, I was tempted to buy a Sony box. Does anyone have any view about which STB is worth buying and which is not.

dilli-theclaw
21-10-2004, 12:28
If off threat, blast me.

I am going to buy a Freeview STB for my mother-in-law (jokes welcome). Knowing the Sony bunch a little bit, I was tempted to buy a Sony box. Does anyone have any view about which STB is worth buying and which is not.

My m8 has a sony one - which is nice.

I have a sagem one at work which works just fine.

Do not get a bush or digifusion one - as - in my opinion they are the work of the devil.

Are you considering top up tv? in which case you may well have to get the thomson box with the card slot - although I think there's a box with an integrated decoder now.

As for aeriels - it depends on how close you are to the transmitter as well - I can use an ordinary set top aeriel - but I can see the transmitter out my window.

Have you checked via the post code checker to see what you can get? http://www.freeview.co.uk/

Graham F
21-10-2004, 16:13
Daewoo ones are good :)

dilli-theclaw
21-10-2004, 22:25
edit - scratch that - that is a pants site :( - sorry...

Graham F
22-10-2004, 19:35
http://www.dtg.org.uk/consumer/coverage.html

that is a better site because it tells you which channels you will get from which transmitter!!