PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Medic

rovert
19-10-2004, 17:25
Reformatting of my hard disc following a windows problem last week led to the loss of my broadband connection. I am running Windows ME with IE 5.5 and now using Norton Internet Security 2005.

During 2 lengthy phone calls to the cable modem helpline efforts were made to retrieve the drivers from my original broadband installation disc and this eventually succeeded with the help of the second operator. Both Operators were very keen that I should download Broadband Medic to help troubleshoot future problems. I was a little wary of doing this given my previous experience with Correct Connect which I eventually uninstalled, but I succumbed yesterday.

Since Broadband Medic was installed I am having problems shutting down my PC. More often than not I end up with the blue screen advising a windows error which always seems impossible to recover from. An improper shutdown is therefore the result. Does anyone know if this is likely to be caused by Broadband Medic? Should I simply uninstall it or is it worth having?

paulyoung666
19-10-2004, 17:28
personally i wouldnt bother with it , can you advise of the exact error message you are getting ????????? :)

rovert
19-10-2004, 17:29
Thanks Paul

Last error message was:

OE:0028:C0030D12

Florence
19-10-2004, 17:44
This problem will; not be BBMedic. I have had this program on my pc since I beta tested it I have never updated from the beta one and still no problems.

Dyno
24-10-2004, 11:23
I also had this prob with BBMedic :td: I dont rate it at all

Paul K
24-10-2004, 12:04
One way to find out if it's BB medic causing the problem would be to use msconfig etc to create a selective start up, don't set BBM to run at startup, use the pc as normal and see if it shuts down properly. It could be that BBM is waiting for a response from the network before it closes during the shutdown procedure and runs out of time. It could also be a clash of personalities between BBM and NIS.
BBM is better than CC was, unfortnately not all software combinations play well together. Does the PC shutdown properly if you close BBM first and then shutdown?

a1970man
24-10-2004, 12:25
I had similar problems with bluescreen etc that I just couldnt solve. I gave up in ME and went back to 98SE which help. Eventually I went to XP pro and have never looked back, it can manage itself much better. It's a popular misconception that you need as 3GHz PC to run XP where infact it'll run on a P266 with 64mb ram quite happily.